ADVERTISEMENT

Kornblut just said Feaster is wasting his time at USC

Don’t any of you find it a bit funny that our second string running back transferred to another school and became their leading rusher? I hate that his season is over now but he honestly wasn’t being used effectively here, that’s the complaint people have. Muschamp doesn’t have a clue how to use personnel effectively.

Tyson Williams was a serviceable back.. nothing more, nothing less

Reactions: Brace1
Do you blame him. Everybody loves a winner. I hope Clemson absolutely destroys UNC...Most on here won't admit it but some of us have state pride going on as well...I've met a lot of people who are Carolina fans/grads who say they pull for Clemson when they're not playing us and Clemson fans who pull for us after 2nd as well.

One of my friends in Kingsport TN is a Clemson grad from Seneca originally. She and her husband lived in Southern California back in the 80's. They went to see Carolina play So Cal and we're there rooting for the Gamecocks way back then.
I hope uNC kicks Clemson butt

Dowdle is better then Feaster and if you can’t see that then you’re blinded by Feaster’s tape from Clemson.

I honestly haven't seen his tape. I don't remember him doing much against us or Bama. When he committed I said he wasn't really an upgrade to what we had. I'm just saying there isn't much difference in them (Dowdle and Feaster). If you want to say Dowdle is a little better, I wouldn't argue. Just saying there isn't much separating them.

Reactions: Brace1 and CCGC34
Feaster looks a lot better running behind a decent line. Rico is clearly our best back right now. More explosive through the hole now that he is healthy. Feaster doesn’t seem as fast this year. He’s added a lot of good weight but it might be limiting his acceleration.

Tyson Williams was a serviceable back.. nothing more, nothing less
Which is what we have now with Dowdle. And to be honest I wouldn’t have called him that prior to this season. I don’t think Dowdle transfers and becomes anyone else’s leading rusher though.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
In my humble opinion, Feaster is fantastic in space. Several people on this thread suggest using him on short swing passes. I agree.
I feel like Feaster’s biggest weakness is the dive or off tackle run. He runs too high for this play. But it seems like that is the only play that USC uses for him.
I know it’s easy to be judgmental as a fan but I feel like he could be used more effectively.

In my humble opinion, Feaster is fantastic in space. Several people on this thread suggest using him on short swing passes. I agree.
I feel like Feaster’s biggest weakness is the dive or off tackle run. He runs too high for this play. But it seems like that is the only play that USC uses for him.
I know it’s easy to be judgmental as a fan but I feel like he could be used more effectively.

He looks tentative to me. Of course, I’d be tentative running behind our line as well. Your backups look pretty explosive. Legit question, do you wish he stayed?

He looks tentative to me. Of course, I’d be tentative running behind our line as well. Your backups look pretty explosive. Legit question, do you wish he stayed?
I wish he stayed because I grew up in Spartanburg and I’ve always cheered for him. He seems like a great kid so I’ve always wanted him to succeed. Performance wise, I don’t think there is a drop off with Lynn J Dixon as the backup. He may even be better. It’s hard to say because they have very different styles of running.
If he stayed, it would give the offense more options but it’s not devastating only because of the other backs on the team.
At this point, I’m just rooting for him as a person. I don’t mean this as an insult but it seems that him and Dowdle both suffer from the blocking. Dowdle runs hard and I would not be surprised to see him on an NFL team.

The Feaster transfer never did make sense to me. He’d have more exposure as 3rd string at Clemson, where he still got significant touches, than he would starting at USC. Plus the combine is where you show out for scouts. He would also add more bling to his jewelry box.

Reactions: Zann77 and howard13
Well, he's not alone. Lots of folks are wasting their time with USC these days.
Yep. Just like they do in every other sport at Clemson. have they beat unc in chapel hill in bb ever??

Last edited:

Feaster is not a hit the hole with abandon type guy. He needs to be used in a flex / space type role.

He lacks vision and commitment when running between the tackles. Just too hesitant.

Korn loves taters Now
I always laugh at Carolina fans stating that Kornblut is a "Tater fan". Those of us from the Pee Dee region that actually know him very well and have for decades, know for a fact he is not a Clemson fan. He is a Gamecock fan regardless of what he has to say on his show. What do you want him to say? Clemson is the best team in the country the last few years (them and Bama). That sucks for us but its reality! Kornblut and every other sports journalist covering college football is not going to deny that or have a lack of praise for whats going on up there right now.
On the flip side, WE are TERRIBLE! We deserve every criticism we get, no matter where it comes from.

he is 100% right.

I’ve heard Muschamp says twice this year that we have to get our best players on the field speaking in response to questions about Feaster.

He touched the ball, I believe, 7 times against Missouri. Kornblut was discussing how when we got inside the 10 yard line, Feaster was removed from the game.

Muschamp lies a lot.

Could it be possible that maybe feaster just isn't as good as he thinks he is? He was sliding down the depth chart at CU. He wanted to be a featured back. He knew there was numerous guys on the roster here. Maybe he just isn't that good. Certainly have not seen much to make me think he should be getting more snaps.

Reactions: Zann77 and Brace1
Exactly. Short, safe passes that get him into space. Not only are we not doing it 6-8 times a game, we’re barely doing it at all. It’s very very very very very hard to understand.
The same short safe passes would also have helped settle down a freshman QB who was clearly having a tough day throwing longer balls on Saturday.

yes, but the running back coach at the beginning of the year said he wanted 1 running to take the load, and i agreed with him... its obvious who the best running back is

What load? Rico only carried the ball 8 times. That's not a running attack. That's mop up duty for a walk on player.

Actually, he said he typically goes with the hot hand. but also said getting the best players on the field is important.

Muschamp said on his call in show after the first game, in response to a call about Feaster, that getting two backs on the field was a good idea. He obviously hasn't done that.

If our "attack" is running up the middle to bang in behind a great offensive line, Rico and Feaster aren't the backs for that. If our "attack" is getting speed on the corners, with short passes out of the backfield to speedy backs, then Feaster needs to be on the field a lot with Rico.

Maybe the real issue we don't know what our offensive strategy is or will be. It changes every game because we don't do anything good.

Could it be possible that maybe feaster just isn't as good as he thinks he is? He was sliding down the depth chart at CU. He wanted to be a featured back. He knew there was numerous guys on the roster here. Maybe he just isn't that good. Certainly have not seen much to make me think he should be getting more snaps.

Fine- but don't put him in the game and call plays that don't fit his skill set and have him running up the middle. The guy is a speed back. Design plays to get him on the edge. Getting him involved in the short passing game is what you use speed backs for so they can catch the ball on the move and make a play in the open field and gain yardage.

Reactions: Zann77
What load? Rico only carried the ball 8 times. That's not a running attack. That's mop up duty for a walk on player.

Actually, he said he typically goes with the hot hand. but also said getting the best players on the field is important.

Muschamp said on his call in show after the first game, in response to a call about Feaster, that getting two backs on the field was a good idea. He obviously hasn't done that.

If our "attack" is running up the middle to bang in behind a great offensive line, Rico and Feaster aren't the backs for that. If our "attack" is getting speed on the corners, with short passes out of the backfield to speedy backs, then Feaster needs to be on the field a lot with Rico.

Maybe the real issue we don't know what our offensive strategy is or will be. It changes every game because we don't do anything good.

picking a particular game ( 8 rushes ) doesnt make your point..the number of running and passing plays change based on the gameplan for that game.. Dowdle is the featured back as he should be

Fine- but don't put him in the game and call plays that don't fit his skill set and have him running up the middle. The guy is a speed back. Design plays to get him on the edge. Getting him involved in the short passing game is what you use speed backs for so they can catch the ball on the move and make a play in the open field and gain yardage.

The poster is correct...Feaster is not a great running back, he is serviceable, just like Dowdle.. difference is Dowdle is better. If Feaster quit today, it wouldn't make that much of a difference

2 backs on the field at the same time?..maybe once and awhile, but not many times.. that isnt SC's offense, it wasnt expected and it shoudnt be

picking a particular game ( 8 rushes ) doesnt make your point..the number of running and passing plays change based on the gameplan for that game.. Dowdle is the featured back as he should be

Actually it does since before nearly every game Muschamp says we have to run the ball more (because we abandon it so quickly) - but of course we almost never run the ball more. We junk it quickly just like we did against UNC and Missouri.

The problem with our entire lack of an offensive approach is that we don't have a scheme. We change it for every game instead of developing a plan based on what we do well and sticking to it game in and game out.

2 backs on the field at the same time?..maybe once and awhile, but not many times.. that isnt SC's offense, it wasnt expected and it shoudnt be

Then Muschamp should quit saying they are going to get 2 backs on the field nearly every week during his call in show.

and since our offense pretty much stinks, getting 2 backs on the field at the same time should be a focus.

The poster is correct...Feaster is not a great running back, he is serviceable, just like Dowdle.. difference is Dowdle is better. If Feaster quit today, it wouldn't make that much of a difference

Impossible to know given the lack of touches he gets.

He looked in firm control in the UNC game when he took one to the house for a nice lead. Of course we left him on the sideline in the 2nd half - and of course lost the game.

Reactions: Zann77 and howard13
The same short safe passes would also have helped settle down a freshman QB who was clearly having a tough day throwing longer balls on Saturday.

Well, Tommy Suggs was actually begging for the short game passing approach on the radio in the first half - and saying to get the Rbs involved in it to settle Ryan down. It seemed the obvious thing to do in that scenario.

Rico has not been a good receiver. He's dropped a bunch so I understand not using him that way. Feaster has a history of being a good receiver out of the backfield. But we didn't try to use him or give him a chance.

At half, Muschamp told Nesbitt we had to run the ball a lot more. We didn't do that either.

Feaster would probably have better stats at 3rd string had he stayed at Clemson, idk what he was thinking honestly......guess Champ sold him the ice like he did to all the other Eskimos. The first thing I thought when he transferred was, he would notice the difference playing behind this Oline and QB opposed to theirs. It's just night and day and I'm sure in a year or 2 he'll have an interview where he talks about the difference in the 2 schools and totally bash SC and Muschamp.

I'm going to show my age here but Kornblut has always been a tater. Back in the early to mid 90s he had a recruiting talk show. When he would do interviews with Clemson players he would praise them. You're going to a great program.

Now with the USC recruits that were committed and not yet signed he would ask them " why would you want to go to USC when you have UGA, Clemson etc offers". He use to try and convince them not to come here. He's a pos if you ask me and I've never wanted him near our commits since then.

This is a true story and I don't care if he or his wife went to USC. He is not a fan. Well he may be a fan but his heart is all Clemson

Reactions: tngamecock#
Don’t any of you find it a bit funny that our second string running back transferred to another school and became their leading rusher? I hate that his season is over now but he honestly wasn’t being used effectively here, that’s the complaint people have. Muschamp doesn’t have a clue how to use personnel effectively.

Kenny Irons ring a bell? He was a beast with auburns oline

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT