ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Krantz named Gamecocks' special teams coordinator

andersoncountycock

Nov 12, 2019
Kyle Krantz has been named the Gamecocks' special teams coordinator and assistant defensive backs coach, University of South Carolina head football coach Will Muschamp announced today.

Maybe I'm ignorant in the ways of D1 college coaching, but all of this shuffling of individual coaches to/among various positions, to me, doesn't seem to be making the most of hires:
Bentley - RB -> TE -> QB
Krantz - initial job(?) -> "analyst" -> ST

Don't you need to have a coach specialize in something - be an expert in something, and be really good/effective at that one job? I dunno. Hopefully WM goes out and makes a great hire for LBs....

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
This is a lazy hire. People said Spurrier got lazy with the hires but so has Muschamp.

Disagree with this. First, Spurrier absolutely got lazy with hires and that is probably what did him in. I remember him doing the press conference to introduce Deke Adams and it was pretty apparent he had nothing to do with the hiring process.

On the other hand, I just can't believe Muschamp is doing this out of laziness. I say that because he absolutely knows his job is on thin ice. I don't think anything Muschamp is doing it out of laziness. Now, it may still be a bad decision, but I don't think it is driven by laziness.

Reactions: JOEFANATIC
Maybe I'm ignorant in the ways of D1 college coaching, but all of this shuffling of individual coaches to/among various positions, to me, doesn't seem to be making the most of hires:
Bentley - RB -> TE -> QB

Don't you need to have a coach specialize in something - be an expert in something, and be really good/effective at that one job? I dunno. Hopefully WM goes out and makes a great hire for LBs....

I think the coaching will improve if he goes out and finds some great linebackers:)

Couldn't hire Durkin, Gideon was locked in at Ole Miss and Rod Wilson would've taken too long because he's with the Chiefs. Along with Krantz, weren't those the rumored candidates?

Bentley - RB -> TE -> QB

Bentley as quarterback coach was a good move, he should’ve been there from the jump but us fans, wouldn’t of liked him coaching Jake. Bobby was a great quarterback in high school and college. Although he did play at a small school: Bentley ran one of the top five QB camps in the country for over a decade.

Before he got into college coaching he sent several QBs to D1 schools. When he coached at Byrnes High a couple of his backups even got scholarships. When he was Head coach/Quarterback coach at Byrnes I never worried about injuries at the QB position, because the backups were always ready and very good.

Bobby Bentley knows how to coach that position and he’s had 3 sons “play quarterback, at D1 schools and he has another one on the way.

Last edited:
One thing we knew for sure. All the EXPERT COACH EVALUATORS pecking away 24/7 here on the FGF would hate whoever got the spot.

Bentley - RB -> TE -> QB

It is odd. When you’re paying somebody $400k+ to coach one position you would think they’d be the absolute best in that position in their field. Go down to a lower level and hire the absolute best Special teams coach in FCS.

Boom hired himself as ILB coach btw.

Reactions: 92Pony
One thing we knew for sure. All the EXPERT COACH EVALUATORS pecking away 24/7 here on the FGF would hate whoever got the spot.
Let’s look at this logically. Kyle was an on field coach, we hire a TE coach from CSU, so he was no longer the best 10 or so on field coaches available so we move him to off field analysts role. Another coach leaves so this analyst gets promoted over the entire Special teams. Which is a huge 1/3 of the team.

I'm not really going to trash this hire. Got to look at it realistically. With the situation Muschamp is in at USC not too many guys that have any options at all want to take the chance on coming to Columbia. So his pool of candidates are severely limited from the outset.

Hey the article said he has assisted with the special teams for the last 4 years. Should be a smooth transition. And we all know how good our special teams have been recently. Wait what?
Has it not? Kicking game- FGs, kickoffs, kickoff coverage- perfectly fine. Even when we break in new kickers... I cannot recall us really struggling there for a long time.

kick returns, until last year we had Deebo- who was the best we ever had... clearly we did not find a replacement that could do what he did- probably never will and there was not a college team that had a Deebo returning their kicks last year. So recent history- the best we have ever had. Last year only... mehhh...

punt returns- awful. Non existent. The only negative about STs recently.

punting- THE BEST WE HAVE EVER HAD. Perhaps Succup did better at times but we have never in my memory had a better punter than Charlton.

what other ares of special teams are there that I am missing? Blocked kicks? We have blocked a decent number in recent years. I can recall Kinlaw getting his pass on a few the past two years...

Special teams is easily the best performing unit on this team over the past couple seasons. I get the frustration but there is no need to be overly negative about every move our team makes this offseason. There is nothing at all wrong with this hire.

Let’s look at this logically. Kyle was an on field coach, we hire a TE coach from CSU, so he was no longer the best 10 or so on field coaches available so we move him to off field analysts role. Another coach leaves so this analyst gets promoted over the entire Special teams. Which is a huge 1/3 of the team.
Yes.... that's logical.
Had to make room for Bobo's buddy. Krantz was low man. Now there is room again for Krantz. No arguing those facts.

Has it not? Kicking game- FGs, kickoffs, kickoff coverage- perfectly fine. Even when we break in new kickers... I cannot recall us really struggling there for a long time.

kick returns, until last year we had Deebo- who was the best we ever had... clearly we did not find a replacement that could do what he did- probably never will and there was not a college team that had a Deebo returning their kicks last year. So recent history- the best we have ever had. Last year only... mehhh...

punt returns- awful. Non existent. The only negative about STs recently.

punting- THE BEST WE HAVE EVER HAD. Perhaps Succup did better at times but we have never in my memory had a better punter than Charlton.

what other ares of special teams are there that I am missing? Blocked kicks? We have blocked a decent number in recent years. I can recall Kinlaw getting his pass on a few the past two years...

Special teams is easily the best performing unit on this team over the past couple seasons. I get the frustration but there is no need to be overly negative about every move our team makes this offseason. There is nothing at all wrong with this hire.
You are right, the only problem was fielding punts. Watch out with this reality check the negative nell's will be going insane.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT