ADVERTISEMENT

Ladies & Gentlemen....I present to you....

Rod Dangerfield

Jan 12, 2010
the best looking uniform in our arsenal!

F1120512.jpg

What year did we start putting Carolina or Gamecocks across the front of the jersey

Originally posted by Rod Dangerfield:
the best looking uniform in our arsenal!

F1120512.jpg
Agreed. I'd rather have it with garnet helmets but of the ones we have now, that's the best one. And it makes us look unique. When we wear garnet tops we look like another version of Bama, Miss St., Arkansas, UGA, and A&M in the SEC "some version of red" brigade. JMO.

I don't care what we wear, as long as we stick to more or less the exact same thing every season, forever. That's how you build a brand (unless you're Oregon, then your brand is not having a brand).

Originally posted by Snake006:
What year did we start putting Carolina or Gamecocks across the front of the jersey
Carolina got on the front in the Carlen era. When JoMo arrived, he switched it to Gamecocks. Woods kept Gamecocks on the front minus the '89 season, when only the number was on the front. When Fat Bradstard arrived in '94, it was switched back to Carolina. It has been there ever since.

Black jersey...garnet helmet...and Gamecocks across the front.....that would be good and leave it that way every game.

Originally posted by 67gamecock:
Don't like it. Stay with Garnet. It's our PRIMARY color.
How you figure?
Garnet & Black Spring Game
Garnet & Black Yearbook
The Garnet Army
It is customary, nationwide, to state the school's primary color first
School website says our colors are Garnet & Black, etc . . . .

In my 52 years as a Gamecock (student/alum) I've never heard nor seen the term Black & Garnet as it relates to our athletic teams.

Originally posted by Snake006:
Carolina got on the front in the Carlen era. When JoMo arrived, he switched it to Gamecocks. Woods kept Gamecocks on the front minus the '89 season, when only the number was on the front. When Fat Bradstard arrived in '94, it was switched back to Carolina. It has been there ever since.
Okay. I'll give you Black 'Gamecock' letters on a Garnet jersey or Garnet letters on a white (away) jersey. JMO. Seems as though everybody has one.

Seniors used to wear a black helmet in their final game. I always thought that was strange, players with different helmets on the same team at once, but that's really the only use of black I recall prior to the Morrison time.

The Black helmets were worn by Seniors in practice every day when Dietzel was coach. It was to emphasize leadership in all drills and anything else. They were called "Black Hats". Wearing them the last game was a way to recognize all the Seniors.
That's what was done in 1966 and 1967, not sure beyond that.

Does this mean your joining the Gamecock Club again and buying season tickets?

I have never understood the problem Spurrier has with black uni's. It isn't a big deal, unless you make a big deal out of it. He seems to have made a big deal out of it. It is one of our colors, and should worn from time to time, yet now it has become an issue. I don't like the "black outs" in the stadium by fans because it looks like the stadium is empty, but the black uniforms would be nice from time to time.

Originally posted by section907:
Does this mean your joining the Gamecock Club again and buying season tickets?
Stuck to my word. Mumbles is still on staff & I didn't renew.

I really haven't decided what to do with my fictitious tickets yet. I guess I better decide soon.

Originally posted by superflyby:
Black jersey...garnet helmet...and Gamecocks across the front.....that would be good and leave it that way every game.
disagree. The white helmets have always looked best and this is from someone who's seen us wear black helmets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT