ADVERTISEMENT

Lawson to the NBA

vipercock

Aug 14, 2001
YGBSM. He needs a lot more development. He wasn’t anywhere near our best player or a difference maker. As the Liberty Mutual ad says. I don’t see it!

He needs to hit the weights for one. I think he has the tools but he lacks consistency and confidence to really make the impact he was expected to do. Hopefully another off-season and less pressure for him to lead this team with emergence of Couisnard will loosen up for a strong Junior season.

YGBSM. He needs a lot more development. He wasn’t anywhere near our best player or a difference maker. As the Liberty Mutual ad says. I don’t see it!
The NBA does not see things this way. They do not view most college programs as providing the kind of development they want from their players. They feel they develop kids on their own better than any college would. They look solely for guys with the right size and talent combinations. Production at the college level barely figures into the equation any more. If he is being told by actual NBA people he will be a high pick he should go pro. If his “uncle/friends” are telling him he should go... and nobody actually part of the process agrees he will be making a big mistake to leave early.

The NBA does not see things this way. They do not view most college programs as providing the kind of development they want from their players. They feel they develop kids on their own better than any college would. They look solely for guys with the right size and talent combinations. Production at the college level barely figures into the equation any more. If he is being told by actual NBA people he will be a high pick he should go pro. If his “uncle/friends” are telling him he should go... and nobody actually part of the process agrees he will be making a big mistake to leave early.

He may not be ready for the NBA but I can't blame him for wanting to get away from the verbal abuse.

Make 60k a year in the g league or continue to be the whipping boy in a system in which you are digressing.

He may not be ready for the NBA but I can't blame him for wanting to get away from the verbal abuse.

Make 60k a year in the g league or continue to be the whipping boy in a system in which you are digressing.
Martin may know basketball but I don't see how the cussing and verbal abuse improves a player. I certainly would not want him to be doing that to my son.

It may help the team. His defense and shooting nothing to write home about.

It's going to help the team to lose the teams leading scorer? He was also 2nd on the team in fg% and 3pt%. One of two players who shot over 40% on fgs. One of 2 players who shot over 30% on 3's. We were already a really bad jump shooting team. Losing Lawson in no way "helps" the team imo.

Btw I didn't count Mike Green in these stats as he only shot 6 shots and played like 15 mins all year.

Never too late to learn a trade.

bo-3t2xfh1tkcX3L1UzQ6_uM0o007JwvlsNrhxCqpNdgix2lEG6YB3WY43YloBUyMYCCFTuCRnDwXytYfBar

Regressing

I think this is best for the team. He seemed half checked out all year and played ,imo, kinda lazy. He just played like he didn't want to be here.

Could it have to do with the style of coaching?

I believe he and we would both benefit from him coming back and further developing his game, but as a Gamecock fan, he would have my support whatever he decides. That said, I hope he comes back!

Martin may know basketball but I don't see how the cussing and verbal abuse improves a player. I certainly would not want him to be doing that to my son.

These are grown men, they are not kids. Every one of them tunes it out. What is the big deal? Surely, being athletes they have developed thick skins.

Now, if I see a clip of Coach FM cussing out a player in public, or if it repeatedly happens privately in practice, it is simply time for FM to depart the scene. This contingency must be covered in Coach's contract.

These are grown men, they are not kids. Every one of them tunes it out. What is the big deal? Surely, being athletes they have developed thick skins.

Now, if I see a clip of Coach FM cussing out a player in public, or if it repeatedly happens privately in practice, it is simply time for FM to depart the scene. This contingency must be covered in Coach's contract.
My point is what is the point in his methods. Would you as a grown man like to be treated that way? Martin acts like a big baby on the sidelines during games. He sits over there and pouts during games when things are not going the way he wants. He is a big part of the problem of why our play is so inconsistent.
Also you saying it is ok to publicly humiliate a player in front of all the fans but not ok in private. That's some weird logic.

Reactions: SOSUSC and ddw1263
My point is what is the point in his methods. Would you as a grown man like to be treated that way? Martin acts like a big baby on the sidelines during games. He sits over there and pouts during games when things are not going the way he wants. He is a big part of the problem of why our play is so inconsistent.
Also you saying it is ok to publicly humiliate a player in front of all the fans but not ok in private. That's some weird logic.

I am saying he does not use profanity on players in public. He has been warned, I think, and it will not be tolerated here. If he does that in private, say in a practice, he should be warned once, and if it happens again he should be dismissed. I am sure that would be grounds for dismissal.

I am not condoning ever humiliating a player in public. I am not sure that happens much, and it should not ever.

Reactions: SOSUSC
I am saying he does not use profanity on players in public. He has been warned, I think, and it will not be tolerated here. If he does that in private, say in a practice, he should be warned once, and if it happens again he should be dismissed. I am sure that would be grounds for dismissal.

I am not condoning ever humiliating a player in public. I am not sure that happens much, and it should not ever.
You better watch some replays. He has flung some very choice words to any player that makes a mistake on court.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

Agree! It is a shame people convince young men to take that step. The one and done has ruined college basketball. The pay for play will finish it off.

Maybe Lawson has been told that he can play overseas somewhere. He cant play in the NBA, and doubt very seriously that he could make the G League. He hasnt shown a whole lot at USC on a consistent basis. But if he wants to leave, it is a free country. Folks leave programs all the time. Got to recruit to have quality replacements in place. Unfortunately, that is by and far the weak point of the basketball program.

i have seen many players not play well in one situation or under one coach only to turn it all around in another situation or under a new coach. I think some players buy into the mental toughness talk of playing under Coach Martin only to find out that they don't function well In that type of environment. No question, Lawson did not play as well this year. However, he and Couisnard are still the players on our team with the best long-range potential. It may even be best for his professional career to have a team take a 2nd Round flyer on him and get stashed in the G League for a year or two than to risk another down season on the college level. NBA drafting is a lot like baseball in that it is mostly based on the belief in your long-term potential. It is not like the NFL in that the expectations are immediate results. That is only reserved for the top 8-10 picks now. All other picks are fair game for G League training now. Heck, Josh Jackson was the No. 4 pick a couple years ago and he spent half the year in the G League this year.

Reactions: viennacocks
Someone should tell him what happened to Dozier when he took horrible advice and inexplicably left early to the NBA for no reason. He will go undrafted and be lucky to make the G league for a couple years before being cut. Thornwell couldn't make it in the NBA, Lawson certainly isn't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT