ADVERTISEMENT

Let's be honest about it - blunt, if you will. We need to ease up on . . .

67gamecock

Oct 3, 2000
Lexington, SC
scheduling the in-state, other than Clem, schools. We have little to gain by playing them - they load up their pitching in anticipation of playing a good game vs the 'Flagship University' (The USC) which happens to be the one, consistent baseball power in the state. They'll sacrifice a conference series just to beat Carolina.

When we lose to CofC, Winthrop, Coastal, Wofford, Citadel, etc., it could have an impact on whether we get Regional and Super Regional games in Columbia, and that's not good for us. I only want what's good for Carolina - I couldn't care less about elevating the image of Francis Marion U., or similar ilk. JMO - everyone else is welcome to theirs.

Originally posted by 67gamecock:

scheduling the in-state, other than Clem, schools. We have little to gain by playing them - they load up their pitching in anticipation of playing a good game vs the 'Flagship University' (The USC) which happens to be the one, consistent baseball power in the state. They'll sacrifice a conference series just to beat Carolina.

When we lose to CofC, Winthrop, Coastal, Wofford, Citadel, etc., it could have an impact on whether we get Regional and Super Regional games in Columbia, and that's not good for us. I only want what's good for Carolina - I couldn't care less about elevating the image of Francis Marion U., or similar ilk. JMO - everyone else is welcome to theirs.
It happens... Move on... But if we start losing 4 -8 games to an in-state school out side of Clemson, then we need to worry... 17-4 is still not a bad record for baseball...

Winthrop is 14-5
CofC is 11- 6
Clemson is 9-10
Coastal Carolina is 14 -6
Furman is 10-9
The Citadel 11-7
Charleston Southern is 10-8
Presbyterian is 14-8
USC Upstate is 7-11

Originally posted by FORKCOCK:
Maybe we should just beat them on the field.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Exactly, but that's not happening often enough of late, so we need to go to 'baseball procedure mode' by dropping most of these SC regional and denominational colleges until we get in enough blue chippers to reasonably ensure that we'll beat 'em.

I'd rather schedule more 'snow bird' schools like Penn State - and beat 'em - than help glorify the Winthrops of the world - as we so aptly accomplished last night - in Columbia!

Winthrop didnt load up the piching, They have enough pitchers to go around without "sacrificing" a conference series.

Winthrop can beat anyone in the country in a one game series. Not down on this loss at all. It's baseball, and any team with a level of talent that Wintrop has can play well and beat anyone. It's good to schedule games with Winthrop for multiple reasons. It's good for the small schools like Winthrop to play the big boys, and it's good for us to play good teams like Wintrop on weekdays and let our mid week pitchers face some tough comp. the future is on its way. A loss here or there in baseball is going to happen, and this one I can easy swallow. It's only a big deal if someone tries really hard to make it a big deal. Competition is what it is, accept it and you'll enjoy sports more.

What a load of fatuous nonsense. Perhaps you should write a check to the baseball team to schedule all these snow bird teams to come down here and play us mid week all season long. We're not going to travel to Maine, etc., because it's cold, and because of classes. Most of these snow bird teams are on their spring break when they come down here and only come down here because it's usually too cold where they are.

And to post this after a 10 game winning streak ends. And, not to mention, our first midweek loss(the Monday loss to Clemson doesn't count). Shame on you.

This post was edited on 3/18 8:14 AM by macdog1967

That is exactly what the taters did several years ago. They took off a few teams that was good enough to beat them so they could win their 35-40 games a year.. Look what weaker competition will earn you... A spiraling downhill program. Hey, but ol Leggetts not a DA. His contract has bonus $ for number of wins, etc....He is ( was) laughing all the way to the bank...

I personally would much rather see all the mid week games be in state schools. Especially if they are competitive.

I wish my words were original but they are not and I will credit themto Buck Showalter. Baseball is not a sprint, its a marathon. In mlb even the last place teamvwin 65 games typically and the first place 93 or more. What separates them are the want to, fundamentals. There will be games where the baseball gods are not smiling down on you. That sharply hit ground ball just out of the reach of an infielder or the crushed line drive that the outfielder makes a great play on. Sometimes you just tip your cap. Remember that on the other teams they are d-1 scholarship atheletes that are no slouches.

Our team is ultimately judged by its body of work, when the season is complete, the SEC tourney, regionals, super regionals, and CWS.

Its about getting better every day, practicing the little things, situational hitting and execution. I am confident all will pan out in the end.

Btw, last year my O's were a .500 team at the end of May and went on to win the division by 14 games.

Point is the season is a marathon and we have a lot of baseball left folks.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

While I disagree with this in principle, I'd like to see us play more than just the "same ole" in state teams for midweek games every year.

Maybe play a midweek game at Stetson on the way to Gainesville for a weekend series. The Hatters can stop in Columbia on the way to Spartanburg (Stetson & USC Upstate are both in the A-Sun) for a return date either the same year or an alternate year. Schedule a Wednesday night game at Southern Miss or Tulane on the way to Baton Rouge. Eagles can stop in Columbia en route to Charlotte for a weekend series with the 49ers, and the Green Wave can stop in Columbia on the way to ECU. In fact, Tulane is playing at UNC-Wilmington this year on the way to ECU. Or instead of hosting Winthrop last night, we could have stopped in Memphis on the way to Columbia (MO) to play the Tigers.

Of course, as I've previously stated, I'd like to see us play Ga Tech in Augusta, and/or UnCarolina/NCSU in Charlotte in midweek contests as well.

Perhaps some snowbird teams would come south after school is out, but by that time, the weather is warm enough that they might request we travel to them. If you haven't, check out photos of Penn State's baseball stadium on the school web site; it's a nice looking facility. I saw that a couple of years ago Georgia Tech traveled to Columbus for a 2-game midweek series with Ohio State after school let out.

I'm going under the assumption that all non-troll posters want what they perceive is good for Carolina.

This post was edited on 3/18 2:58 PM by atl-cock

What a dumbass thread. I would, unquestionably, rather play and support local schools before I would a snow bird that does not put emphasis on the sport like we do down here. Gimme Winthrop, El Cid, CoC, etc... all day long.

Let's be honest, it's not just in-state schools that get up to play us. We're one of the best schools in the country with 2 CWS titles in the last 5 years. Pretty much everyone we play nonconference is like that. By that logic, we shouldn't even play a nonconference schedule.

Atl--cock, the problem with your solution is that when we go to Gainesville to play Florida the team leaves on Thursday afternoon, not on a Tuesday. Most midweek college games for every team are where the visiting team can get there by bus and back home in then same day. Typically the only time a team would be staying overnight in a hotel for a mid-week game is when they are on spring break. Penn St was on spring break when they came here so that is why we played them 2 midweek games. Players still have to go to class the day after midweek games so games are going to be against teams that are close enough to get home at a decent time.

At 40 games we need to be 30-10 or better and setting up for the final streatch. Hosting Regionals and Super regionals is the ultimate goal. Long road to Omaha.

Originally posted by Kmart84:
Atl--cock, the problem with your solution is that when we go to Gainesville to play Florida the team leaves on Thursday afternoon, not on a Tuesday. Most midweek college games for every team are where the visiting team can get there by bus and back home in then same day. Typically the only time a team would be staying overnight in a hotel for a mid-week game is when they are on spring break. Penn St was on spring break when they came here so that is why we played them 2 midweek games. Players still have to go to class the day after midweek games so games are going to be against teams that are close enough to get home at a decent time.
True that, but could USC still schedule a midweek visit to some out-of-state schools over the USC spring break or after the conclusion of the spring semester, e.g., the Yellow Jackets' trip to Columbus a couple of years ago?

As an example, let's say that we're scheduled to play UK in Lexington at the beginning of spring break. Why not stay in the area after the UK series and play two at Louisville (over spring break week) before coming back to Columbia?

I agree with Pepsi. I'm all for playing the best anytime and anywhere. Personally, I'd rather get my butt kicked by a powerhouse than to beat a chump. That's the Clempsucks way, not ours.

Atl-cock, we could but with a 56 game schedule and trying to play around 36-37 at home makes it tough. We have to play 15 SEC road games and 1 at Clemson and the neutral site game with them. That leaves very few other road games. It may be better if we played in a tournament or what Vandy did at the end of their spring break. They went to LA and played a round robin against UCLA, SO CAL, and TCU. So Vandy and UCLA played Friday night, and TCU played So Cal. On Saturday Vandy and So Cal played and UCLA amd TCU played. On Sunday Vandy played TCU at Dodger Stadium, UCLA and So Cal played at Dodger Stadium also.

Originally posted by Kmart84:
Atl-cock, we could but with a 56 game schedule and trying to play around 36-37 at home makes it tough. We have to play 15 SEC road games and 1 at Clemson and the neutral site game with them. That leaves very few other road games. It may be better if we played in a tournament or what Vandy did at the end of their spring break. They went to LA and played a round robin against UCLA, SO CAL, and TCU. So Vandy and UCLA played Friday night, and TCU played So Cal. On Saturday Vandy and So Cal played and UCLA amd TCU played. On Sunday Vandy played TCU at Dodger Stadium, UCLA and So Cal played at Dodger Stadium also.
Correct. It was Vandy & TCU this year. UGA & St. Mary's went to LA a few years ago. We went to Wilmington about 8 years ago to open the season in a round-robin affair with UNCW, Western Kentucky, and Oklahoma. And a trip to the Dairy Queen Classic in Minneapolis a couple of years before that when we faced Minnesota, Pepperdine, and New Orleans, as well as Baseball at the Beach hosted by Coastal Carolina.

Would like to see us do that again as well as sprinkling in 2-3 midweek games a season with out of state competition during our spring break and/or when class is over for the semester. 1-2 such games would be at home, and 1-2 on the road. I agree that any more than 3 such games per season would be stretching it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT