ADVERTISEMENT

Let's go for the Trifecta: What is the hottest game you ever attended at WB? ***

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
For many years I didn't miss the first game of the season at WB. So for me it will be very difficult to name just one. But if I had to definitively say it would be either the Texas A&M or the East Carolina game which actually was the 2nd game of the season right after the Texas A&M a few years back. Both games were very hot, sticky and just plain miserable. My wife and I parked across from the Olympia School Parking lot. We walked up to Bo Jangles to get something to eat and hoping we could cold off for a few minutes but that wasn't the case. We walked back to the car and that in and of itself was miserable walk. When we finally got into the car I started the car and turned the air conditioner wide open, and the thermometer in the car read 100 degrees and we were parked on a grass surface.

Anyway, there was absolutely nothing we could do to get comfortable and that was one game I was so glad to see end. In fact I'm sure we probably left early for that game. Had I known how miserable that game was going to be one could not have paid me to attend.

Last edited:
2001 Bama game we won 37-36. 3:00 start and I think the heat index was around 100 and HUMID. I think concessions ran out of water and drinks half way thru the 3rd qrt. My buddy says to this day that ticket has cost him about $5000 because of all the dermatologist visits he has had to make since then. We sat in the east upper and he got FRIED!

The UGA game with the %*&$ David Pollock interception. 3:30 kick, lightening delay with rain that raised the humidity.
The UNC Opener Clowney's last year 98 degrees at kick, heavens opened late on the 4th quarter

The UGA game with the %*&$ David Pollock interception. 3:30 kick, lightening delay with rain that raised the humidity.
The UNC Opener Clowney's last year 98 degrees at kick, heavens opened late on the 4th quarter

I was at that game and yes it was hot. But that one to me was not as hot as the ECU game.

EDIT: I was at the UNC game, I was not at the UGA game where Pollock intercepted the ball. I watched that game at home and needless to say I got very sick.

Last edited:
2001 Bama game we won 37-36. 3:00 start and I think the heat index was around 100 and HUMID. I think concessions ran out of water and drinks half way thru the 3rd qrt. My buddy says to this day that ticket has cost him about $5000 because of all the dermatologist visits he has had to make since then. We sat in the east upper and he got FRIED!

I’m not sure it was the hottest but I know I had tan lines from that day until December...I kid you not.

The next time we played Alabama at home was under Spurrier and it was a scorcher as well. That’s the only time I can recall the Gamecocks wearing white jerseys at home and Spurrier did that because of the heat. We got killed in that game.

That UNC opener was brutal as well.

Reactions: Jon Snow
I’m not sure it was the hottest but I know I had tan lines from that day until December...I kid you not.

The next time we played Alabama at home was under Spurrier and it was a scorcher as well. That’s the only time I can recall the Gamecocks wearing white jerseys at home and Spurrier did that because of the heat. We got killed in that game.

That UNC opener was brutal as well.
UNC opener was the hottest. My wife fainted and I saw many ambulances around the stadium. No ice was left to buy and I sat with my wife under the top deck as she laid on the cool (somewhat) concrete. There were three other ladies doing the same. Brutal. She still talks about that. I didn’t see the first half cause I was sitting with her.

Reactions: Carolina4
For many years I didn't miss the first game of the season at WB. So for me it will be very difficult to name just one. But if I had to definitively say it would be either the Texas A&M or the East Carolina game which actually was the 2nd game of the season right after the Texas A&M a few years back. Both games were very hot, sticky and just plain miserable. My wife and I parked across from the Olympia School Parking lot. We walked up to Bo Jangles to get something to eat and hoping we could cold off for a few minutes but that wasn't the case. We walked back to the car and that in and of itself was miserable walk. When we finally got into the car I started the car and turned the air conditioner wide open, and the thermometer in the car read 100 degrees and we were parked on a grass surface.

Anyway, there was absolutely nothing we could do to get comfortable and that was one game I was so glad to see end. In fact I'm sure we probably left early for that game. Had I known how miserable that game was going to be one could not have paid me to attend.

What a nice story. Who would ever think September afternoons in Columbia could be warm?

The UNC Opener Clowney's last year 98 degrees at kick, heavens opened late on the 4th quarter[/QUOTE]

And they evacuted the Stadium, never should have even Finished that game, UNC could have called it..

2012 ECU. I remember seeing a few people pass out in the concourses due to the heat. Alsp heard that a few thousand having to be treated for dehydration.

The 1988 UGa was a noon start and was the most brutal game I've ever sat through. And we killed them. Lewis Grizzard wrote a very funny column about this game. He said it was the hottest game he ever attended.

There was an Auburn game in 97/98 (?) that was BRUTAL. It's the one game I can remember that I spent most of the game in the Club Lounge. Other games I toughed it out in our club level seats. (Yay for shade!) But that one I couldn't.

But seriously..

2013 UNC was unbearably hot. People were wilting in the student section for that one. Want to say we had another early evening game right after that

Reactions: gousc00
The 1988 UGa was a noon start and was the most brutal game I've ever sat through. And we killed them. Lewis Grizzard wrote a very funny column about this game. He said it was the hottest game he ever attended.

This was my pick as well. This was the game where Robert Brooks made a spectacular one handed catch in the south end zone. I remember the consessions stands ran out of ice by halftime. It was a scorcher.

05 Alabama was really bad. Hottest event I've been to was the 04 Suoer Regionals vs ECU

I'm not sure if that was the hottest game I ever attended, but that's the first one I thought of when I read the question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT