ADVERTISEMENT

Lettuce discuss how we got here...

B-L Gamecock

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2005
1. We got lazy and complacent, starting from the top down. Has been discussed a lot so no need to open that up.
2. We banked too heavily on in state guys instead of hitting Florida and NC harder. We still hit GA ok. Been discussed a lot, so no need to debate that one.
3. This is the one I would like to discuss. Spurrier began digging this hole years ago while we were winning 11 games a year. It is his terrible decision making in assistant coaching hires
Shane Beamer - Spurrier Jr. Downgrade
Graham - sands. Downgrade
Fitz - Connelly. Downgrade
Johnson - Ward. Downgrade. It took EJ several years to build the elite defense we had, and it took Ward 3 years to run it down and then crash it in year 4.
Johnson (coached LB I believe) - Botkin. Downgrade, but maybe the least impactful in this group.
Lawing - Adams. No explanation needed.
I'm not counting special teams. I'll call it flat for now.

That is 5-6 staff downgrades that started during our peak. When someone is a good or bad coach, most of the time it won't show up immediately. (It took Spurrier years to win much here) so... It is Spurrier's job to hire good assistants and to hold them accountable. He has done a poor job at both and now we are seeing the fruits of his complacency and bad hires. We honestly should not be totally surprised by this if you have had an objective view starting last year.

Unless Spurrier leaves, we can expect more of the same because he is too old to change his ways and too loyal to make the tough decisions. He has proven that for years now.

Feel free to disagree, but if you do, bring some semblance of logical thought and don't just say that I should go pull for Clemson or any nonsense like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News