ADVERTISEMENT

Little Lloyd

I noticed you changed the narrative. I said one semi-good game. Didn't say he was a semi-good back. Think the jury is still out on that. Anderson ate up a lot of carries and should be commended for that. However, 3.4 yds. per carry is not really good. That is the reason why I said semi-good game. However, when we have been averaging less than 2 yds a carry before Saturday, 3 and half yds seems like you had Barry Sanders out there.
Anderson runs with power and purpose. If he only averaged 3-something yards per carry, I think you need to look elsewhere for the reason.

Anderson runs with power and purpose. If he only averaged 3-something yards per carry, I think you need to look elsewhere for the reason.
I never said he didn't run with Power or Purpose. I think he is a functional back especially behind an OL that is struggling. However, what I didn't see was that burst or elusiveness that you see in a really good back. He will have to do for now, but we should never get a position so depleted that have to try a Covid Year Senior at the position for the first time and be forced to go to a Graduate Transfer that was starring at a D2 less than a year ago.

I agree, He bailed on his team, but he IMO was a better Option at RB than lloyd
What is it with all these Gamecock fans rooting for guys that average 3yds per carry. That was Jaheim Bell too. He looks the part of an elite back. He can catch the ball some, but he was a jack of all trades and a master of none. Lloyd and Bell ran behind the same offensive line and Lloyd averaged a yard and a half better than him every time he touched the ball. Lloyd also caught almost as many passes out of the backfield and had a higher average per catch, as a Running Back. You would think a Tight End would get more downfield throws than to average just 9.2 yds. per catch. Bell had the model football physique, but the production just was not there. You can blame that on scheme, coaching or whatever, but this thought of Jaheim Bell as a star player was just a figment of some people's imagination.

Last edited:
I never said he didn't run with Power or Purpose. I think he is a functional back especially behind an OL that is struggling. However, what I didn't see was that burst or elusiveness that you see in a really good back. He will have to do for now, but we should never get a position so depleted that have to try a Covid Year Senior at the position for the first time and be forced to go to a Graduate Transfer that was starring at a D2 less than a year ago.
So you're just saying we don't have a really good back. I'm saying we don't have a really good offensive line, either. I never anointed Anderson the next Jim Brown, only that he's our best guy and we don't need to waste time with any of the rest of them beyond giving Anderson a rest.

If you're saying our coaching staff has failed to adequately man the position, that's ipso facto, and I'm always ready to criticize people who have that much responsibility and draw that much money when they don't meet their obligations.

So you're just saying we don't have a really good back. I'm saying we don't have a really good offensive line, either. I never anointed Anderson the next Jim Brown, only that he's our best guy and we don't need to waste time with any of the rest of them beyond giving Anderson a rest.

If you're saying our coaching staff has failed to adequately man the position, that's ipso facto, and I'm always ready to criticize people who have that much responsibility and draw that much money when they don't meet their obligations.
I can agree with that. ...and I am not putting Anderson down by indicating that he was a D2 athlete. My son is a D2 athlete and hopes to be able to transfer up within two years. However, to go from being a D2 athlete to starting in the SEC within a couple months is a heckuva leap. For Anderson to clearly to show that he is our best option at RB is an indictment on our recruiting and retention.

I can agree with that. ...and I am not putting Anderson down by indicating that he was a D2 athlete. My son is a D2 athlete and hopes to be able to transfer up within two years. However, to go from being a D2 athlete to starting in the SEC within a couple months is a heckuva leap. For Anderson to clearly to show that he is our best option at RB is an indictment on our recruiting and retention.
Oh, we suck at retention - with accompanying lapses in recruiting.

Reactions: DarkHorse2001
And guess who was running the ball, you fuq stick…..
Lloyd is currently enjoying starting for a Top 10 team, avg'g 7.7 yds/carry, while you're some nobody taking cheap shots at a former Gamecock player on a message board.

Enjoy being a prick.

It's an indictment on how much money our NIL collective has to spread around. Money is the biggest factor in recruiting and retaining players. Last I saw, ours was 10th in the SEC. That's just the SEC. If we land higher than that this year, we will get more than we paid for.

Lloyd is currently enjoying starting for a Top 10 team, avg'g 7.7 yds/carry, while you're some nobody taking cheap shots at a former Gamecock player on a message board.

Enjoy being a prick.
They don't play defense out west. He's basically running against wofford every week. It's not a valid comparison. He was unproductive here even when he was healthy

They don't play defense out west. He's basically running against wofford every week. It's not a valid comparison. He was unproductive here even when he was healthy
That’s not true. He just wasn’t healthy. Had over 500 yds on over 5 yds. per carry and led our team in TD’s. Some of our fans want to play revisionist history with him because they are mad he is gone. Anderson looks he may be able to give us something in the running game. However, until Anderson started playing you could see that we had nothing behind Lloyd.

Reactions: Flameout12
That’s not true. He just wasn’t healthy. Had over 500 yds on over 5 yds. per carry and led our team in TD’s. Some of our fans want to play revisionist history with him because they are mad he is gone. Anderson looks he may be able to give us something in the running game. However, until Anderson started playing you could see that we had nothing behind Lloyd.
If you take out the FCS games, he was less than mediocre even when healthy

If you take out the FCS games, he was less than mediocre even when healthy
The only good FCS game was SC State. Charlotte is not FCS. Kentucky and Texas A&M were conference games that we won. Lloyd was a big contributor. Lloyd got hurt against Missouri after 7 carries for 30yds and never played again until the Clemson game and you could tell he wasn’t right in that game. That is the problem with fans sometimes. We bang on players for sitting out and we bang on them when they don’t play like a star when they try to go injured. However if you call 750 yds. from scrimmage with 11 TDs in roughly 8 games unproductive , I don’t know what to tell you. I guess you put all RBs on that George Rogers standard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neanderthal
7 of those 11 TD were against Ga St, Charlotte, and SC State. He was serviceable, but nothing special. I'd take Mario over him any day.

Reactions: cockyferg
7 of those 11 TD were against Ga St, Charlotte, and SC State. He was serviceable, but nothing special. I'd take Mario over him any day.
I will take Mario as that is all we have right now. However, the facts are that their production is pretty much similar and that is with Mario having a 75 yd. run mixed in there. i have to see some more games before I start making those type of judgments. ….and I don’t see how a South Carolina fan can discount stats against even lower level D-1 teams when we couldn’t gain 100 yds. as a team against Furman. Facts over feelings. I also never said Lloyd was some special back. I am just responding to people on here lying talking about he was unproductive because they are in their feelings.

Last edited:
Well if facts are facts, then a highly touted four-star back, is no more productive than a D2 running back in his first season. I wasn't saying Lloyd was bad, just it he wasn't really that good either

I will take Mario as that is all we have right now. However, the facts are that their production is pretty much similar and that is with Mario having a 75 yd. run mixed in there. i have to see some more games before I start making those type of judgments. ….and I don’t see how a South Carolina fan can discount stats against even lower level D-1 teams when we couldn’t gain 100 yds. as a team against Furman. Facts over feelings. I also never said Lloyd was some special back. I am just responding to people on here lying talking about he was unproductive because they are in their feelings.

I would take him even if we had Lloyd. Lloyd's oline was better than the line Mario is running behind.

Lloyd also had 3 fumbles last year (1 lost). I don't want to jinx the guy, but Mario has yet to put the ball on the ground. Just seems like a tougher runner. And don't act like that 75 yarder should be treated any less than what is was. In fact, to me, it showed me that Mario has that homerun potential that I never saw from Lloyd.

Things may change as the season goes on, but as of now, Mario over Lloyd for me, even if we had both.

Last edited:
I would take him even if we had Lloyd. Lloyd's oline was better than the line Mario is running behind.

Lloyd also had 3 fumbles last year (1 lost). I don't want to jinx the guy, but Mario has yet to put the ball on the ground. Just seems like a tougher runner. And don't act like that 75 yarder should be treated any less than what is was. In fact, to me, it showed me that Mario has that homerun potential that I never saw from Lloyd.

Things may change as the season goes on, but as of now, Mario over Lloyd for me, even if we had both.
I don't make judgements like that on a 3 game sample size. Mario has done well, but you can pick out a 3 game stretch for a lot of backs and make a good value judgment if you want to. Heck, Lloyd had a good 4 game stretch last year. ....and I am not belittling Mario's 75 yd. run. I am just recognizing that over a 3 game stretch a run like that is going to skew his numbers. Prior to that run Mario was averaging under 3.5 yds. carry. Mario appears to be a good one-cut back that hits the hole hard, but don't anoint the man after three games just because you have some issue with Lloyd. Lloyd is doing well where he is at. We seemed to have fixed some of our issues on the ground with the OL changes and Anderson in the backfield. Let's be happy with that instead of unnecessarily tearing one guy down to uplift someone else because he is a Gamecock right now. As bad as things are going for us as a team right now, Anderson might try to transfer out of here tomorrow and try to appeal for an extra year. Isn't that what everyone else is doing? Then what? Anderson is a bum too?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT