ADVERTISEMENT

Overrated??

Ncaa tournament is a different animal...no home courts limited time to scout teams not a good judge of how a conference performs for a whole year. any team can have a off day.
Well there is One Positive, We can go ahead and get all the "RIBBING" out of the way EARLY.... I have already had a Tater fan giving me hell at work..

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
Anything can happen.

I don't see them as overrated at all. It's just the nature of the tourney and basketball.

Looks like SEC basketball may have been overrated?? SC, Miss st and KY all go down in first round!!
Think we were, losing by 40 points to Auburn ( as well as 30 the second time) showed we were a little overrated. A lot of early wins were against lesser teams. Got hot in mid season and won a lot of close games. Overall a solid season, but not great.

And those three that lost were the higher seeded teams. Tennessee mashed St. Peter’s to get the league back on track, maybe, and Auburn, Alabama and Florida are higher seeded than their opponents today. Will be interesting to see how Alabama fares against Charleston, a good team. Texas A&M is coming up here in a bit.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Yep- have to admit, pretty poor for SEC teams.

Amazing they look all world against us and today they looked awful.

Pearl must hate South Carolina because he sure does have them prepared against us but I think I could have done a better job than him against Yale.

Can't speak for UK, but USC and Miss State had bad match-ups, I wish USC would have been paired with New Mexico. Sorry but watched a little of the tater game and New Mexico SUCKED!! Izzo and Mich State are most always a tough Match-Up esp during Tournament time.

Oregon would have been tough for many higher seeded teams, I picked us in my Brackets, but I told people I would have picked Oregon if they were playing any another team. I listened to the Pre-tournament experts and they said Oregon is a hot team and won their Conf Tournament. Similar to NC State winning 5 games in a row and beating Duke and UNC in the ACC Tourney

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Can't speak for UK, but USC and Miss State had bad match-ups, I wish USC would have been paired with New Mexico. Sorry but watched a little of the tater game and New Mexico SUCKED!! Izzo and Mich State are most always a tough Match-Up esp during Tournament time.

Oregon would have been tough for many higher seeded teams, I picked us in my Brackets, but I told people I would have picked Oregon if they were playing any another team. I listened to the Pre-tournament experts and they said Oregon is a hot team and won their Conf Tournament. Similar to NC State winning 5 games in a row and beating Duke and UNC in the ACC Tourney
Yeah!Yale and Colorado were bad matchups for Auburn and Florida too. So basically, the SEC is underrated if anything! lol my lord the mental gymnastics needed to come up with that is impressive.

Reactions: ecrumpton
Yeah!Yale and Colorado were bad matchups for Auburn and Florida too. So basically, the SEC is underrated if anything! lol my lord the mental gymnastics needed to come up with that is impressive.
Not familiar with Yale in sports, but Colorado was One of the better teams
in the PAC-12. Pac -12 has some Teams Like Arizona that could win it all. Oregon won the PAC-12 tournament. Watched and listened to the Pre-Tournament discussions and this is what the Experts had to say. Oregon had 1 of the best Big men in the country.

He was Rolling and in our game. 2nd on the Oregon Team in Scoring. behind Coussnart. Experts who are getting paid for continuously watchin film on BB and in-depth discussions. But Hey, you have a right to your opinion.

Not familiar with Yale in sports, but Colorado was One of the better teams
in the PAC-12. Pac -12 has some Teams Like Arizona that could win it all. Oregon won the PAC-12 tournament. Watched and listened to the Pre-Tournament discussions and this is what the Experts had to say. Oregon had 1 of the best Big men in the country.

He was Rolling and in our game. 2nd on the Oregon Team in Scoring. behind Coussnart. Experts who are getting paid for continuously watchin film on BB and in-depth discussions. But Hey, you have a right to your opinion.
Never heard an expert say the Pac 12 was the strongest league in the country but maybe I missed it. I did hear plenty of experts say the SEC was the strongest... guess they didnt see enough film after all.

This isn't football Bot247. Upsets happen all of the time in this tournament. Any team can play good ball and get hot in a game.

UK ran into a Midwestern Shooter who rained 3s with players draped all over him.

Yale has historically beaten teams in the tournament with that unorthodox offense. The ridiculous ejection in their game further helped the cause.

Our freshman, who had been solid the 2nd half of the year, couldn't seem to handle the pressure of the moment.

If Tennessee runs the table to the Final Four, does your argument change at all given how we performed against them? Probably not, right?

Post season college basketball bares little resemblance to post season college football. It's a totally different beast.

I watched all the games and no team was offensively inept as New Mexico was yesterday. They couldn’t make anything.

This isn't football Bot247. Upsets happen all of the time in this tournament. Any team can play good ball and get hot in a game.

UK ran into a Midwestern Shooter who rained 3s with players draped all over him.

Yale has historically beaten teams in the tournament with that unorthodox offense. The ridiculous ejection in their game further helped the cause.

Our freshman, who had been solid the 2nd half of the year, couldn't seem to handle the pressure of the moment.

If Tennessee runs the table to the Final Four, does your argument change at all given how we performed against them? Probably not, right?

Post season college basketball bares little resemblance to post season college football. It's a totally different beast.
Are you serious?? Alban, SC, Fla, miss st & UK not making it out of first round?? Means SEC (some experts claim was strongest conference) is definitely a sign of being overrated!!

Reactions: bucketdad

Wait....what? Do you mean that ONE other game they have won in the existence of the tournament?

I'm not down on our season, as it far exceeded my expectations. I'm sure don't think the loss was on our one freshman having a bad game.

Not sure where you're going with the Tenn question? Obviously upsets happen in this tournament (hints the name "march madness"), but the conference has been brutal in the tourney the past 3 years. It's becoming a pattern...

Are you serious?? Alban, SC, Fla, miss st & UK not making it out of first round?? Means SEC (some experts claim was strongest conference) is definitely a sign of being overrated!!

I am. March Madness. Basketball is far different from Football or Baseball. Parity everywhere. It's all about matchups and 5-7 guys having a good game on a big stage. It would be different if these were blowouts. I've mentioned the others above. Florida and Colorado were evenly matched and they played as such.

I do quite often find myself pulling for what may make the experts look like idiots. In fact I enjoy it. I have lost count of the number of times I've heard them say the SEC was the strongest. So...

Wait....what? Do you mean that ONE other game they have won in the existence of the tournament?

I'm not down on our season, as it far exceeded my expectations. I'm sure don't think the loss was on our one freshman having a bad game.

Not sure where you're going with the Tenn question? Obviously upsets happen in this tournament (hints the name "march madness"), but the conference has been brutal in the tourney the past 3 years. It's becoming a pattern...

Neither CMB or Davis played well at all. That 40% of our starting team. If CMB alone has a good game, it could have swung things. Both of those guys have been instrumental in us winning alot of games. CMB was probably our best player the 2nd half of the year.

The SEC had 3 teams in the Sweet 16 last season. The ACC had 1.

I do quite often find myself pulling for what may make the experts look like idiots. In fact I enjoy it. I have lost count of the number of times I've heard them say the SEC was the strongest. So...

Agree. In hoops, the larger D1 conferences don't have the advantage that they do over the mid-majors. The law of averages (resources) is far less applicable when you're dealing with a small group of players.

Neither CMB or Davis played well at all. That 40% of our starting team. If CMB alone has a good game, it could have swung things. Both of those guys have been instrumental in us winning alot of games. CMB was probably our best player the 2nd half of the year.

The SEC had 3 teams in the Sweet 16 last season. The ACC had 1.
Well only one of those are a freshman. Are am I missing something?

Who cares about the ACC? Sec has had 1 team make the elite 8 in 3 years.

Well only one of those are a freshman. Are am I missing something?

Who cares about the ACC? Sec has had 1 team make the elite 8 in 3 years.

OK. Davis is a Sophomore who's never played on a big stage. You got me.

You just talked about how brutal it's been for the SEC over the past 3 years? The ACC has been considered to be the best conference in college basketball for a long time. Thus the comparison.

OK. Davis is a Sophomore who's never played on a big stage. You got me.

You just talked about how brutal it's been for the SEC over the past 3 years? The ACC has been considered to be the best conference in college basketball for a long time. Thus the comparison.
Maybe the ACC has been historically considered better. They haven't the past 3 seasons though.

Past 3 seasons acc bids- 15, Sec bids- 24. SEC winning% has been at the bottom of the major conferences in those years as well in the tourney.

Maybe the ACC has been historically considered better. They haven't the past 3 seasons though.

Past 3 seasons acc bids- 15, Sec bids- 24. SEC winning% has been at the bottom of the major conferences in those years as well in the tourney.

Parity in College Basketball. The SEC gets as good of recruits as any other D1 conference and has some of the best coaching staffs as well. What would be your argument for why they are underperforming as a conference?

Parity in College Basketball. The SEC gets as good of recruits as any other D1 conference and has some of the best coaching staffs as well. What would be your argument for why they are underperforming as a conference?
I don't follow basketball recruiting much at all. Maybe the recruiting (players leaving after freshman year) could be a determent to NCAA tourney success? It it what it is. The SEC has just been overrated the past 3 years in basketball is all. The Numbers back it.

I know we don't always agree, but that is OK, You have a pretty cat. My wife and I are cat lovers. We like dogs too and other animals, but find cats to be less maintenance.

I know we don't always agree, but that is OK, You have a pretty cat. My wife and I are cat lovers. We like dogs too and other animals, but find cats to be less maintenance.
haha thanks! I have a dog also, but the cat has seniority and runs shit around the house (the dog is petrified of the cat).

Four of the teams that beat SEC teams in the 1st round didn’t make it out of the next round (Michigan State, Oakland, Colorado, Oregon). Yale and Texas A& M may not. The SEC’s hopes may rest with Tennessee. I have no confidence in Alabama.

Reactions: bucketdad
Yet the overrated ACC will have 4 teams in the Sweet 16. This whole conversation could have been had without bringing up that conference.

NC State is in the final 16 as an 11 seed. All others in the Sweet Sixteen are 1-6 seeds, you-know-who being the only #6. One upset is doable, as the record shows, but putting together 2 or more upsets become a thing of lore, remembered for a long time. I vividly remember George Mason’s run under Coach Larranaga about 20 years ago - beating Michigan State, UConn the Tar Heels and somebody else (maybe memory not so vivid😝). I do remember they got beat by Florida who won it all.
I’m still trying to forget Coppin State. But they lost the next round. I haven’t heard of them since.

Man, A&M had that game! Too bad. Tennessee and Alabama in the Sweet 16.

Kentucky and Auburn losing were both March Madness flukes. Neither of those teams plays a best of 10 with Oakland and Yale, they're winning at least 8 of those games.

Clemson looked good against Baylor. Their defense came alive.

I like Brad Brownell. I think he's a good person and I didn't want to see him fired. He respects Coach Paris and has had nice words to say about him. We have a healthy rivalry with them in basketball and I think both staffs recruit the right way.

I don't think Clemson could do any better than him. He's a solid coach and a TON of their fans wanted him fired before this past weekend.

Reactions: Neanderthal
Clemson looked good against Baylor. Their defense came alive.

I like Brad Brownell. I think he's a good person and I didn't want to see him fired. He respects Coach Paris and has had nice words to say about him. We have a healthy rivalry with them in basketball and I think both staffs recruit the right way.

I don't think Clemson could do any better than him. He's a solid coach and a TON of their fans wanted him fired before this past weekend.
I would Pull for the Taliban against the Taters, I hope they get beat by Fifty vs Zona!!

I like Brownell. He always treated our staff well and we never had a player good enough to play for him. But I don’t like Clemson. I think he did save his job just as the coach at NCState did, but he had a better contract and might have lasted another year. Now, as things go, he likely get an extension. How about that? From the basement to the penthouse in 2 weeks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT