ADVERTISEMENT

LSU fans pissed at Dawn and her comments

Again you are missing the point.
We are losing highly qualified talent to other schools because of our inability to recruit and sign certain players.
That should be a concern.
I am not concerned that our team is mostly black women! Yes, their are certain white players that prefer a white coach or more white players on the team. That is their preference and their right. I am so delighted to be winning more than 50% of our games. Most of the USC teams are struggling to have winning seasons. It is invigorating to be a Carolina fan and to have a winning team in any sport!!

We are losing highly qualified talent to other schools because of our inability to recruit and sign certain players.
Keep your phantom concern to yourself, we literally have the most talented roster in the nation. If you have a problem with their ethnicity of the players then that's on you.

Check on any on the recruiting services top 100 players and you will see that 70 to 80% of those players are non-white and those white players are often from locations in which we haven't had any success even amongst black players. States like Minnesota, Iowa heck even California, Washington State and Texas are not where we have had successful recruiting so far.

What we do have, we have two of the best "white" prospects to come out of South Carolina in the past 5 years on this roster. If the environment was as unwelcoming as you implied then I highly doubt either one of them would have stayed 3+ years and we wouldn't consistently make the top 5 or top 3 finalist list of other white players every year. Literally any other program including UConn would happily trade for this team with the talent, depth, drama free chemistry.

We recruit nationally. That being said, may the best 16 make the team. We are on the court to compete and BOY are we competing, #1 in the nation. When in the past 100 years of our institution have we ever had a marquee program in any sport like we do now? To HELL with all of you that have issues with our team make-up. I do not see any bias, all I see are wins. Our teams diversity has mirrored our Quarterback rooms over the past 100 years, only difference are the results. Dawn is a winner. I am glad she's rubbing a lot of you the wrong way, winning does seem to have that effect. Go cheer for one of those teams with the "certain players", you are harping about. We certainly do not need you over here with our National Championship, Gold Medalist and stunningly beautiful WBB coach. We've never had such a fine representative of our University and yet, you bring up this nonsense. Keep on Winning Dawn. You and your WBB program have my FULL SUPPORT.

Last edited:
Again this is such a weird argument. "It's ok to lack diversity because we are good"

Why is nobody on this board worried about diversity in the sports where are overwhelming white?................... crickets..............
If you don’t understand that DS RECRUITS TALENT PERIOD than shame on you. Was the Olympic team diverse? Yes! Who selected that team? Dawn Staley!
If you don't understand that those sniveling about not enough white players on the WBB team are hating on DS with a false narrative ...... than you are either naive, disingenuous, or worse.

Not sure who your calling a bigot but Haley Jones could certainly start here but Lexie Hull could as well. We don't have a shooter on the perimeter that shoots consistently like she does. If we did it would eliminate teams packing it in on our bigs.
This is Brea and her mother. If you think she's not "white" enough, then yes you're a bigot.

Brea2.jpg

Reactions: Whiterockcock69
Please understand it’s not me but fans from other schools that mention this repeatedly

Our Equestrian team has won three national championships and finished second a couple of times. It has 37 members!!! With 1 African American. Why can’t Coach Major recruit African American Riders? She either is not trying or she has deliberately created an atmosphere that is uninviting! What is she going to do to correct this?

Our Women’s soccer team has gone to a final four and 3 other elite eights in the last six years.
During this time period there has been 60-70 players come through and only ONE African American on the squad. Are there no African American women good enough to play on our team? Why is Coach Smith not getting into those households to recruit? Everyone else in the SEC has done better than this. Clearly we care more about skin color than talent.

Please note SARCASM. I have had season tickets to women’s for almost 15 years and also attend an occasional equestrian match if I am in Blythewood at the right time. Again, all that matters is that Carolina is on the front, the content of their character, and their skill in the sport.
Post the percentages of each sport. I dare say the makeup of those 2 more closely match the participation rate by minorities...basketball on the other hand....ummmm.

And Im just stating the obvious. Has nothing to do with Dawn.

Post the percentages of each sport. I dare say the makeup of those 2 more closely match the participation rate by minorities...basketball on the other hand....ummmm.

And Im just stating the obvious. Has nothing to do with Dawn.
Equestrian participation is pretty much by wealth
Soccer very different matter...... it use to be very white. But of 21 current members of USWNT(it is a very rotating group with call ups very often) 5 are African American and 3 are of Hispanic heritage.

So what? My point in using these examples was to illustrate how disingenuous those complaining about DS were. They use this because of their own insecurities and agenda. That agenda whatever it may be, is not about supporting our WBB program

Reactions: Gamekem
Lets look at the diversity on the softball team, or the lack thereof. And there are plenty of black young ladies that play softball, but we do not have many on our team. Add to the fact that our softball team hasn't been very good nor has it come close to winning the SEC, let along the National Championship. Yet, I haven't seen one post about the lack of diversity in that program.

Lets look at the diversity on the softball team, or the lack thereof. And there are plenty of black young ladies that play softball, but we do not have many on our team. Add to the fact that our softball team hasn't been very good nor has it come close to winning the SEC, let along the National Championship. Yet, I haven't seen one post about the lack of diversity in that program.
Would those be unfair criticisms of the softball team?

Those that have a problem with the players Dawn recruits probably don't support our team anyway. They have bigger issues which is sad. How in the world can you complaint about having a #1 ranked team led by a coach that consistently pulls in top recruiting classes? I am a season ticket holder and the CLA is filled with fans that adore our players and coaches. I wouldn't trade any of the them.
Top recruits = not just talent, but team oriented and of good character. Regardless of colour. Which I stated in a previous post on this thread.

As clearly our soccer team and equestrian team are.

I am intrigued that you used “certain” players than coming out and saying what you truly meant..... white players

We have a roster of 16...... 11 are McDonalds All Americans, Cardoso(Brazil) and Amihere(Canada) were top 10 recruits and ineligible to be All Americans🤣. 2 are in state players, we recruited one as a walk-on and the other because DS had a thin roster and a scholly to give. The last being Lele who was only the #24 national recruit. I’m sorry the talent level on the squad disappoints you
Was Cardoso All-Brazilian, and Amihere All-Canadian?

I am not concerned that our team is mostly black women! Yes, their are certain white players that prefer a white coach or more white players on the team. That is their preference and their right. I am so delighted to be winning more than 50% of our games. Most of the USC teams are struggling to have winning seasons. It is invigorating to be a Carolina fan and to have a winning team in any sport!!
I am delighted that we have a talented team with a team-first attitude of young women of good character who compete well and represent USC well. Who are #1!

Was Cardoso All-Brazilian, and Amihere All-Canadian?
Cardoso actually played in the United States so she is one of the McDonald's All Americans. As for for Amihere she was a star on the Youth Canadian National team and was ranked as high as #2, over both Boston and Cooke before her multiple injuries in high school. There's no doubt that she would have been one if eligible.

Last edited:
This is Brea and her mother. If you think she's not "white" enough, then yes you're a big
This is Brea and her mother. If you think she's not "white" enough, then yes you're a bigot.

Brea2.jpg
I said nothing in this bs yall brought up on race other than the fact Hull for Stanford would start for carolina...u need to find a new tree to bark up son becuase its not this one

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
We do have some white players on the women’s basketball team. Where is your whining on the baseball team makeup? Yearly, in baseball, we have few if any black players. Haven’t noticed anyone discussing our lack of black players in that sport. Our soccer, volleyball, golf, tennis teams, etc. lack much if any diversity.

It is odd isn't it.

You are correct, not much diversity on those teams and the usual suspects don't have anything to say.

hmm.... i wonder what it could be.....

Reactions: nikolas22
I feel the discussion by other schools has to do with a successful black woman having success with a team that has few white players…period. It is another way by some to criticize our coach…even those on this forum.

Let's just be honest.

A black woman, one that is outspoken on issues that concern her that might not be accepted politically in some circles, causes a lot of angst with a segment of some older white folks- mainly men. It's the same ones complaining over and over again. (You really don't see women have any issues with her at all - except admiration. My wife is not a basketball fan, but she absolutely loves Dawn Staley and will stop and watch some of our games when I have the game on the tv).

They've probably even convinced themselves at this point that their complaints are legitimate.

I admit, I've heard this same criticism in real life before- but again- it's from the usual suspects. It's the same people that complain that an NFL team interviewed a few black candidates. It's from the same folks that will- very slightly suggest having a woman as an NFL official or a woman as a NBA or MLB coach isn't the greatest idea around).

It's the same people that complain that a black person got a job and they gently suggest that they weren't really qualified for it. I mean they don't say they weren't qualified, but they sure do seem to believe they weren't.

It's the same people that are awfully quick to remind you, "I have a black friend and he/she told me they agreed with me" - yeah, I am sure they do - after all, they are all the same anyway, right? right?

It's the same ones that attack a high achieving minority female for sleeping their way to promotions - but would never in a million years lob the same criticism at say- a white man- that cheated on their wives or sleep their way into company board rooms.

Dawn is the most successful coach at the University and right at the top of all of the NCAA when you consider personal and professional accomplishments.

She also happens to be very socially minded and voices her opinions without apology- opinions that don't coincide with the opinions of a proportion of the male population in a state like South Carolina. (Strangely enough, many of those same opponents often talk about how they like people that aren't afraid to voice their opinions and never apologize- except of course only if it's someone they agree with).

That alone angers a lot of people in a state like South Carolina.

It is odd isn't it.

You are correct, not much diversity on those teams and the usual suspects don't have anything to say.

hmm.... i wonder what it could be.....
Its actually not odd at all if you look at participation rates. Golf and tennis are usually sports of the wealthy. Travel ball is also a thing of wealth. Most AA players I know usually quit or sign minor league contracts like Thomas Jones of Laurens did. We could go really deep into the whys and what nots but probably not the board for it lol. Socioeconomics are a hell of a thing to discuss with just facts and checking emotions at the door. Everyone gets labeled and it devolves from there.

Reactions: budman1976
Let's just be honest.

A black woman, one that is outspoken on issues that concern her that might not be accepted politically in some circles, causes a lot of angst with a segment of some older white folks- mainly men. It's the same ones complaining over and over again. (You really don't see women have any issues with her at all - except admiration. My wife is not a basketball fan, but she absolutely loves Dawn Staley and will stop and watch some of our games when I have the game on the tv).

They've probably even convinced themselves at this point that their complaints are legitimate.

I admit, I've heard this same criticism in real life before- but again- it's from the usual suspects. It's the same people that complain that an NFL team interviewed a few black candidates. It's from the same folks that will- very slightly suggest having a woman as an NFL official or a woman as a NBA or MLB coach isn't the greatest idea around).

It's the same people that complain that a black person got a job and they gently suggest that they weren't really qualified for it. I mean they don't say they weren't qualified, but they sure do seem to believe they weren't.

It's the same people that are awfully quick to remind you, "I have a black friend and he/she told me they agreed with me" - yeah, I am sure they do. .

It's the same ones that attack a high achieving minority female for sleeping their way to promotions - but would never in a million years lob the same criticism at say- a white man- that cheated on their wives or sleep their way into company board rooms.

Dawn is the most successful coach at the University and right at the top of all of the NCAA when you consider personal and professional accomplishments.

She also happens to be very socially minded and voices her opinions without apology- opinions that don't coincide with the opinions of a proportion of the male population in a state like South Carolina. (Strangely enough, many of those same opponents often talk about how they like people that aren't afraid to voice their opinions and never apologize- except of course only if it's someone they agree with).

That alone angers a lot of people in a state like South Carolina.
Well said, you just stepped on a lot of toes. Keep speaking the truth.

Top recruits = not just talent, but team oriented and of good character. Regardless of colour. Which I stated in a previous post on this thread.

Maybe a team with a black head coach who is vocal about social justice concerns doesn't excite some white high school players.

I mean if we are going to blame Dawn for made up slights, we might as well make up all sorts of nonsense and throw it at the wall too.

Maybe a team with a black head coach who is vocal about social justice concerns doesn't excite some white high school players.

I mean if we are going to blame Dawn for made up slights, we might as well make up all sorts of nonsense and throw it at the wall too.
I think DS feels that she has an obligation to use her position to call out some societal wrongs. But she is wise on how/when/what she does it.

Cardoso actually played in the United States so she is one of the McDonald's All Americans. As for for Amihere she was a star on the Youth Canadian National team and was ranked as high as #2, over both Boston and Cooke before her multiple injuries in high school. There's no doubt that she would have been one if eligible.
Mississauga's finest.

Reactions: Gamekem
Its actually not odd at all if you look at participation rates. Golf and tennis are usually sports of the wealthy. Travel ball is also a thing of wealth. Most AA players I know usually quit or sign minor league contracts like Thomas Jones of Laurens did. We could go really deep into the whys and what nots but probably not the board for it lol. Socioeconomics are a hell of a thing to discuss with just facts and checking emotions at the door. Everyone gets labeled and it devolves from there.

Lots of HBCUs have good tennis and golf players. I mean if we are going to blame Dawn, the head coach of the #1 ranked team in the country who recruits right at the top of all the NCAA, we need to toss some blame at the white coaches on campus that aren't giving these kids a chance that end up at HBCUs and have solid careers.

Maybe tennis needs to stop going to Europe to recruit and invest in good. patriotic Americans.

Maybe the SC legislature can pass a law where a few token scholarship offers have to be extended by the most successful basketball coach at the university.

I think DS feels that she has an obligation to use her position to call out some societal wrongs. But she is wise on how/when/what she does it.

I have no issue with Dawn

but maybe some white players do.

I mean if we are going to accuse Dawn of avoiding certain players, let's at least be fair and accuse the players of avoiding her.

Lots of HBCUs have good tennis and golf players. I mean if we are going to blame Dawn, the head coach of the #1 ranked team in the country who recruits right at the top of all the NCAA, we need to toss some blame at the white coaches on campus that aren't giving these kids a chance that end up at HBCUs and have solid careers.

Maybe tennis needs to stop going to Europe to recruit and invest in good. patriotic Americans.

Maybe the SC legislature can pass a law where a few token scholarship offers have to be extended by the most successful basketball coach at the university.
Maybe some black kids prefer to attend an HBCU.

I have no issue with Dawn

but maybe some white players do.

I mean if we are going to accuse Dawn of avoiding certain players, let's at least be fair and accuse the players of avoiding her.
Like any decent coach, Dawn will avoid, to the best of her ability, players who have a me first attitude and/or will cause problems on the team, e.g., poor character.

Note that I left skin colour out of the above sentence.

This is pointless. You're ignoring facts and being emotional. I actually would like to see more participation but as of now it doesn't happen. Tiger helped and so did the Williams but it was a flash in the pan for most part. Again, I am merely looking at participation rates. 7% black seems to be the accepted rate for tennis. Perfectly understandable to me. Same as golf...its understandable considering the old "country club" mentality and the finances involved as well as history. Like I said folks can't check emotions anymore in any conversation.

Reactions: uscwatson21
This is pointless. You're ignoring facts and being emotional. I actually would like to see more participation but as of now it doesn't happen. Tiger helped and so did the Williams but it was a flash in the pan for most part. Again, I am merely looking at participation rates. 7% black seems to be the accepted rate for tennis. Perfectly understandable to me. Same as golf...its understandable considering the old "country club" mentality and the finances involved as well as history. Like I said folks can't check emotions anymore in any conversation.

Don't be so emotional.

Most top basketball players are black, not white.

Maybe some white basketball players prefer to play for white coaches.

I mean it's possible, right?
Absolutely. And perhaps some black basketball players prefer to play for black coaches. And some black basketball players prefer to play for white coaches. And some white basketball players prefer to play for black coaches. They are all possibilities.

We each individually may or may not have preferences for ourselves. Far be it for us to impose our preferences on others.

Reactions: GamecockinBoulder
Just like every discussion of race, those that bring up a legitimate question like this are branded as old white male bigots. We win with what we have and thats the ultimate goal. Thats fine. Im happy with that and i support the teams on floor success. That means the knee jerk racist bigot redneck white guy reaction doesn't hold water.
I go back and ask my original question. Since Dawn has been here why have we not landed a single Caucasian player that even sniffed a starting roll? You cant tell me that there were none that would have.
We are number one in the country so obviously what is being done is great but take off the blinders and think level headedly about the question.
And as far as a comparison to other sports, irrelevant. Take that up with the other sports.
Some of yall would rather just name call and assume because of simple mindedness instead of actually pondering the question and replying with a courteous thought out explanation. Pretty expected from some on here.

Is she really? You dont need a Captain Crunch Decoder Ring to decipher her narrative
I thought it was Ovaltine? Seriously she is going to be who she is and like all she has feelings that dictate her actions. I encourage her to do so as long as she doesn’t break any laws or rules whether I agree or disagree. I hear you loud and clear and Dawn is called to use her platform. So be it.

On the other hand she is one of the kindest, spritual and caring people I have ever known. She is a philanthropist and an outstanding community leader for Columbia, SC, and for essentially all. And guess what. She’s a huge winner. I think a lot of y’all need to get over it. You can “vote” with your financial support for USC or your event attendance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT