ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Doty

Had two passing TD's and a running TD in a two quarter scrimmage Friday.We are going to be loaded at QB next year.I think Luke is like Connor Shaw with a huge arm.
Doesnt have Shaws speed but has the tools to be a much better passer. Definetly a 5 star QB

Doesnt have Shaws speed but has the tools to be a much better passer. Definetly a 5 star QB
I'm no so sure about that. Luke has some serious wheels and is very good in the open field.

There's a video of a blocked field goal out there where he runs down what appears to be a defensive back from about 10 yards behind. There's no doubt he has exceptional top end speed as well.

He would give Shaw a run for his money in my opinion.

Recent years regarding our next best QB...
The year before it was Joyner, then it was Hilinski, and now it is a kid that is about to start his senior year of high school.
I will wait until they actually start in a college game and do well. But I get the optimism that seems rampant around here. I prefer the show me approach. Been at this too long and been disappointed too many times.

So, Connor ran a 4.55 at the NFL combine (which was outstanding); Luke has been clocked in 4.47 at camps. Even adjusting for the camp "fudge factor", I don't think you'll see a whole lot of difference between the two. Luke is simply freakin' fast, plus he has great acceleration.

The year before it was Joyner, then it was Hilinski, and now it is a kid that is about to start his senior year of high school.
I will wait until they actually start in a college game and do well. But I get the optimism that seems rampant around here. I prefer the show me approach. Been at this too long and been disappointed too many times.
Joyner will never be a serious contender for us at QB.

Sorry to be a so called debbie downer but we are looking forward to Doty and we currently have Bentley and Hilinski and Joyner on campus. But Doty is the apple of our eye. SMH

Reactions: redrogers
Kid definitely has some serious talent, serious wheels. In today's game you need a QB that can make something happen with his legs when the play breaks down. With that said, I'll hold my comparisons to Conner Shaw until we see what he does on our field. Aside from the talent, the intangibles is what made Shaw specials. Hopefully Doty can come in make the same impact.

Love this kids tape . However Kinda on the wait and see bus as well . Remember when Connor Mitch was supposed to be the next Joe Montana ?? After Jake’s freshman year we thought he would be All SEC . Doty, Joyner and Hillinski all look great for a bunch of kids who have never taken a meaningful snap in college football . Love the potential of all three guys but let’s see what happens on the field first .

Kid definitely has some serious talent, serious wheels. In today's game you need a QB that can make something happen with his legs when the play breaks down. With that said, I'll hold my comparisons to Conner Shaw until we see what he does on our field. Aside from the talent, the intangibles is what made Shaw specials. Hopefully Doty can come in make the same impact.

Those passes from Doty were impressive! Many of those were into tight coverage where only his receiver could catch it.

The most impressive one to me was when he knew the defender was about to cut him in half (and did), but he stood in there and made the completion.

That Shaw guy was alright too. ;)

Reactions: scgamecockfan
Yep. And how many qb's have gotten a touch for the past 3 years?

Reactions: howard13
I'm no so sure about that. Luke has some serious wheels and is very good in the open field.

There's a video of a blocked field goal out there where he runs down what appears to be a defensive back from about 10 yards behind. There's no doubt he has exceptional top end speed as well.

He would give Shaw a run for his money in my opinion.

The guy he runs down looks more like a LB to me, but it shows good effort and very good speed by Doty. Doty didn't even have an angle on the guy, he caught him from directly behind.

We want him no matter what. He is great athlete who has 1 full season playing QB. In 2 years the sky is the limit. This year he will be amazing.
He was a very good WR before. If QB doesn't work for him, he will be a very good WR or Safety. We do not want to lose him.

No, I don't drink. This reminds me of a thought last week. Something happens to Jake and the combo QB package (DJ and Ryan) leads us to 8-9 wins. It's not easy for us, but we survived and went on to a NYD Bowl game and win.
I do not want Jake to get hurt, but we never have another QB getting experience. I wish others are used, even for one series a game. It could jumpstart Jake. It certainly can't hurt.
One series out near the beginning of the game will allow Jake to slow his nerves down. Jake returns full of confidence.

All realities were once dreams. Why not us?

Last edited:
There is not really that much difference in their speed.
Doty ran a 4.62 forty at camp earlier in the year.
Shaw ran a 4.58 and 4.55 forty at the NFL combine.

Rankings are purely political. Anyone breaking down actual film can see that Doty is a 5 star all day. The tater qb from California is only ranked high bc of his commitment to the taters and the fact that he’s 6’6 and can throw the ball 70yds. Doty is by far a more athletic and better player.

What?I was bragging about the future depth of the QB at carolina l don't understand where you're coming from?

What I am saying is, remember how great Connor Mitch was supposed to be, Lorenzo Nunez, Brandon McLwain, etc? My point is, let’s at least sign the darn kid and get him on campus. Great prospect but slow down a wee bit. We have the next best thing with Joyner and Hilinski already on campus but I bet they do not see the field unless Bentley gets hurt.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter

That is a darn mystery as Muschamp needs to put in someone else when Jake is off or the game is in hand or out of hand. Maybe build some depth in the other qbs and have them gain some experience for next year when Jake is gone. That is a flaw in Muschamps coaching I believe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT