ADVERTISEMENT

Marcus Lattimore starts "We Want Zion" Chant during halftime of BBall game

Don't ever call Marcus Lattimore stupid, it just shows how stupid you are.
There's a difference between calling someone stupid and opining that the person did something stupid. Stupid is not the word I would have chosen; I would have said ill-conceived.

Last edited:
Not ill conceived at all imo. Don't y'all complain when clemson upstages us as being more of a "players school"? Having one of your biggest sports legends grab a mic at a bball game and lead the crowd in a recruiting chant is the type of stuff we are missing. It was a long shot that we'd get Zion but I'm still super happy we did that. Shows we have passion and a strong community

Don't ever call Marcus Lattimore stupid, it just shows how stupid you are.

Well tell Marcus to quit doing stupid things, it is a recruiting violation for people on athletic staff to mention recruits by name. He has been on the job for a week and already picking up secondary violations

Reactions: ExpatCarolinian
I’m not too worried about Marcus in relation to our Basketball team, regarding football I would trust Marcus completely. I’m happy he is here & made a little time to inspire our crowd.
SPRING GAME BABY!

Not ill conceived at all imo. Don't y'all complain when clemson upstages us as being more of a "players school"? Having one of your biggest sports legends grab a mic at a bball game and lead the crowd in a recruiting chant is the type of stuff we are missing. It was a long shot that we'd get Zion but I'm still super happy we did that. Shows we have passion and a strong community
It would have made sense if Zion was at the game

Reactions: king ward
Ill-considered, then. It wasn't going to affect the outcome and just wound up being futile. If we had passion, the gym would have been filled last Tuesday night.

Dabo was interviewed by Dick Vitale during Clemson's basketball game. He was asked about Zion, and wouldn't mention the kid's name. He even said that he didn't think he was allowed to say a recruit's name. He was conscious of a possible NCAA violation.

Meanwhile in Columbia, Marcus starts a "We want Zion" chant?

What would have really sucked is if Zion has picked USC but then been penalized because an employee of the AD led a chant mentioning the recruit by name.

Paying a recruit would be in secret (bagman and all of that). Chanting a recruit’s name in front of thousands and TV cameras is a bit more public.

See the difference?
What? No I dont. What he wants and apparently what you want is to pay players to come here, THAT....... is stupid.

Dabo was interviewed by Dick Vitale during Clemson's basketball game. He was asked about Zion, and wouldn't mention the kid's name. He even said that he didn't think he was allowed to say a recruit's name. He was conscious of a possible NCAA violation.

What would have really sucked is if Zion has picked USC but then been penalized because an employee of the AD led a chant mentioning the recruit by name.
Hear ya, but please spare me the pervasive "Dabo worship" that is infesting this website. Dabo did not write the book on all things recruiting & program administration.

I don’t think the same rule applies to Marcus because he’s not technically a coach.

He said "first name", not the entire name. Not exactly sure how popular the name "Zion" is, but he didn't mention Zion Williamson by name, just shouted out a first name.

Well tell Marcus to quit doing stupid things, it is a recruiting violation for people on athletic staff to mention recruits by name. He has been on the job for a week and already picking up secondary violations
Really? Lets see it get reported.

I am not advocating cheating. Simply pointed out that you are equating two situations which are completely different. If you can’t see that, so be it.
I was comparing "stupid" not cheating. He said Marcus made a stupid move, I countered with his wanting to pay players as being stupid. Pretty simple to follow.

Really? Lets see it get reported.

Just wait, the school will self report. It was at a b-ball game and put on social media, how do you hid from that? I am not saying it is a big deal, but all it took was watching a few drills to get recruiters taken of the road. He knows the rules or at least should by now

Last edited:
Just wait, the school will self report. It was at a b-ball game and put on social media, how do you hid from that? I am not saying it is a big deal, but all it took was watching a few deals to get recruiters taken of the road. He knows the rules or at least should by now
How do you know the rule applies to him? How do you know he didnt get clearance from the AD to do it?

How do you know the rule applies to him? How do you know he didnt get clearance from the AD to do it?

There is no clearance to be had. Rules are rules and no one from “the institution” is allowed to mention a recruit by name publicly or refer to a recruit coming to the school. I know you want it not to be a vilolation, but your hope does not change the fact that it is.

I know that Marcus is a saint and I am not looking to step on that, but he needs to clean it up because recruiting will be a huge part of his job. He needs to dot the i’s and cross the t’s

He said "first name", not the entire name. Not exactly sure how popular the name "Zion" is, but he didn't mention Zion Williamson by name, just shouted out a first name.

You are not allowed to call even a nick name

He is not recruiting Williams

He is not recruiting Williams

He is a part of the athlete department, it does not matter if he is with football. There is a reason you do not see baseball and basketball recruit sales pitches at football games or a call for football recruits at basketball games. Heck, he was at the BASKETBALL GAME if nothing else moves you

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT