ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Kingston, Eli Jones, Ethan Petry Press Conference Live Updates (Pre-Florida)

Alan Cole

Beat Reporter
Gold Member
Jul 10, 2022
Hearing from Eli Jones, Ethan Petry and Mark Kingston coming up to preview a crucial series in Gainesville. Updates to follow.

"Coming off a really big, exciting win last night we're anxious to get on the road to Gainesville. It'll be a great challenge coming into that ballpark to face that program."

Said they're "hoping" to have Cole Messina available but he still has to pass a few tests.

Not ready to announce a weekend rotation yet.

Said everything with Florida starts Jac Caglianone, their two-way player.

On offensive struggles:
"It just changes by guys being able to relax in those moments. The guys that right now are struggling statistically in those areas have historically been very good. You can start with our two big guys there and we know who they are. Last year they were tremendous with runners in scoring position, this year it hasn't quite been the same."

"If we were close to our batting average with what we need to be with runners in scoring position, we might have 3-4 more wins. It's the difference between being really good and elite."

Said on the road struggles they haven't changed any routines.
"You've just got to be fairly consistent. You look for little things along the way that might spark things."

On Dalton Reeves:
"I think he's under consideration (to be in the lineup even if Cole is back). His defense has been much better than we ever could have dreamed. He's always been a solid htiter over the years, and he's swinging the bat well right now. The trick is for oen guy to go in, someone else has to go out."

Said they have 11-12 hitters who are in the running to be in the lineup now, but obviously can only put nine in on a given night.

On Will Tippett:
"Will Tippett's in the lineup right now because he plays elite defense both in terms of consistency and range."

Also mentioned his baserunning making him elite.

"The offense is not what he or I want at this point, but it's not to the point where we think the negatives outweigh the positives."

Kingston on the Clemson game not getting made up:
"It's disappointing for everybody, obviously we all know how much it means. But the combination of games, road games, academic schedules, final exams, we just couldn't find a place it makes sense."

Said they will continue to evaluate health, RPI, opponents. etc. to see if they'll try to add a game against someone else.

On what they remember on the trip to Gainesville last year:
Petry: "It was heartbreaking. Going back in there, it's going to put a chip on our shoulder."

Jones said "that chip will definitely be there."

Eli Jones on last Friday:
"Kind of felt a little off. I watched a lot of video and talked al ot with Coach Williams, but at the end of the day it's baseball. It's really hard to go out there every week and be lights out every outing. It's one of those things where I put it behind me, learn from it and move on."

Eli Jones said "it does have a rivalry feel" against Florida because the Gators have ended their season each of the last two seasons.

Let's hope we beat Florida who isn't have the best year - at least compared to their usual standards.

I have no confidence in Kingston though so hopefully it will work out anyway.

Eli Jones on Connor McCreery last night:
"That's really good to see. He's a guy ever sicne we got here last year, he puts his head down and he gets to work. When guys like that go out there and succeed, you get really happy for him."

Ethan Petry on the offensive struggles as a team:
"At the beginning of the season was when we really struggled and I feel like that was in the back of our heads and we've kind of released that pressure and hit a littel better lately, but last night we faced an outstanding pitching staff and they made some great pitches."

"We've got to get better, that's obvious, but we're working as hard as we can and doing everything we can to get better. And it will get better because that's what baseball is."

Ethan Petry on Roman Kimball:
"He cares more about the team and investing in that han himself and his personal performance, and that has paid off exceptionally well with his whiffle ball fastball."

Eli Jones said "he's doing a lot better" the last couple weeks. Said he thinks a lot of people forget he's still in his first year off surgery.

"I think a lot of people put really high expectations on him, but just know that kid is working his butt off every day."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT