ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Kingston...

Agreed, and my guess is that he knew from the beginning that it would be almost impossible to convince a blueblood to come to Columbia.

in football yes but in baseball we should be able to attract almost anyone. We are like bama and ohio state in football.

Reactions: Tigerbandit
So, why did he take this long to name him? He could have named him last week if he was the guy. The big fish slipped out of the net again, regardless of what you read.

yep and unlike football this is a top tier program and yet we still wont spend the cash. It would be like bama, michigan, ohio state looking for a coach but only coaches that would bite on median pay

Reactions: king ward
Possibly. But from outward appearances Tanner's criteria seem centered around "up and comers," big-time recruiters, and UNC baseball alumni instead of sustained postseason success. Hopefully his 2nd hire does better than his 1st.
Why are you worried about outward appearances? You're one of us right? Don't worry about what our rivals are saying. Shocker, its critical of the Gamecocks. Some of y'all want to go out and do their work for them

Why are you worried about outward appearances? You're one of us right? Don't worry about what our rivals are saying. Shocker, its critical of the Gamecocks. Some of y'all want to go out and do their work for them

Yawn. I don't care about outward appearances. Merely commenting that this new hire bears striking resemblances to our previous coach. You know, the one that was a not a "home run" but a "logical" hire. Tanner fired that guy if memory serves. FWIW I'm not writing off Kingston, I just find it interesting that Tanner went down a similar path this time around.

Reactions: jonesz21
Agreed that we are like Bama and TOSU, but baseball's dynamics are different.
Yep...and you could further limit that to financial dynamics. It's one thing to "break the bank" for football, totally another for baseball....and that's what it would have required to get Sully, Schlossnagle, Holliday or O'Connor. And on the last two, you would have had to pull him from his alma mater or pull him from the program he resurrected from the dead and built into a powerhouse, respectively.

Other than those four, all the other potential candidates were about the same. Personally, I liked Lemonis...and had Kingston second. Lovelady would have been similar to those two.

Reactions: atl-cock
Yep...and you could further limit that to financial dynamics. It's one thing to "break the bank" for football, totally another for baseball....and that's what it would have required to get Sully, Schlossnagle, Holliday or O'Connor. And on the last two, you would have had to pull him from his alma mater or pull him from the program he resurrected from the dead and built into a powerhouse, respectively.

Other than those four, all the other potential candidates were about the same. Personally, I liked Lemonis...and had Kingston second. Lovelady would have been similar to those two.
If you want to play, you have to pay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT