ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Kingston...

A Tampa newspaper says Kingston is staying put, which means he wasn't a realistic candidate. If that was the choice they might as well kept Holbrook.

A Tampa newspaper says Kingston is staying put, which means he wasn't a realistic candidate. If that was the choice they might as well kept Holbrook.
Kept Holbrook? So you are saying that Kingston is no better than Holbrook? What are you basing that on? Personally I have no idea other than if Tanner chooses Kingston I hope fans like you keep their mouth shut til he proves he's no better than Holbrook, not condemn him before you see what he can do

Don't think I have to condemn him. I don't really believe he is the choice. He would be the economic choice, the same as Horn was.

Don't think I have to condemn him. I don't really believe he is the choice. He would be the economic choice, the same as Horn was.
I absolutely would pull for him and if Coach Tanner hires him I have to believe Coach knows he is getting a quality coach, but dang, does he have to be a tar hole?

Reactions: sadd66
Kept Holbrook? So you are saying that Kingston is no better than Holbrook? What are you basing that on? Personally I have no idea other than if Tanner chooses Kingston I hope fans like you keep their mouth shut til he proves he's no better than Holbrook, not condemn him before you see what he can do
This needed to be a grand slam hire! To most of us, Kingston looks like a double in baseball terms.

This needed to be a grand slam hire! To most of us, Kingston looks like a double in baseball terms.

Please list your "grand slam hires" and then tell us how you would get them to leave their programs to come here. Maybe Ray could use some pointers.
This is not to say I don't get disappointed in some of the decisions made at USC, but I for one am absolutely certain Ray understands what is expected and what is at stake, and is trying what is humanly possible to accomplish those things.

Mark Kingston, by all accountants would make us a fine coach, and really wish you guys would quit running him down. Of course it is fine to have your preference, but given the resources at USC, there are a butt load of coaches that could win big here, and you don't have to pay them 1.5 million to do it.

Funny thing is, none of us know who it will be. Could be one of your "grand slam hires" after all.

Please list your "grand slam hires" and then tell us how you would get them to leave their programs to come here. Maybe Ray could use some pointers.
This is not to say I don't get disappointed in some of the decisions made at USC, but I for one am absolutely certain Ray understands what is expected and what is at stake, and is trying what is humanly possible to accomplish those things.

Mark Kingston, by all accountants would make us a fine coach, and really wish you guys would quit running him down. Of course it is fine to have your preference, but given the resources at USC, there are a butt load of coaches that could win big here, and you don't have to pay them 1.5 million to do it.

Funny thing is, none of us know who it will be. Could be one of your "grand slam hires" after all.
Everybody has their opinion and that's fine. I hope Ray "gets it" this time and that's the concern of most people I talk to and people on this forum. I think most would back me up on the grand slam hire. Our program deserves the very best. I always liked Holbrook as an assistant coach but I went on record with people I know that I thought he was the wrong hire and time proved me right. Ray rolled the nice with a top 5 program and time has proved he made a huge mistake that many like myself thought from day one. So yes, the pressure is on Tanner to right the ship with a home run hire. This is Not the time to gamble or roll the dice after the Holbrook failure.

Everybody has their opinion and that's fine. I hope Ray "gets it" this time and that's the concern of most people I talk to and people on this forum. I think most would back me up on the grand slam hire. Our program deserves the very best. I always liked Holbrook as an assistant coach but I went on record with people I know that I thought he was the wrong hire and time proved me right. Ray rolled the nice with a top 5 program and time has proved he made a huge mistake that many like myself thought from day one. So yes, the pressure is on Tanner to right the ship with a home run hire. This is Not the time to gamble or roll the dice after the Holbrook failure.

I understand what you are saying, but the question still stands. Who is your "home run hire" and how do you get him to come here if he doesn't want to? Still not sure we don't get the "home run hire". For the record, I was with most of the world and thought Holbrook would be a great move, so even I can be wrong.

Please, God, don't let Tanner whiff on his top choices and then settle for someone that he and others will proclaim was our #1 choice all along.

Reactions: jonesz21
Kingston will be a very good hire. Go read what national college baseball writers say about him. This is a good "get." He's turned two bad programs into winners at places where there aren't many resources, no fan base etc. A guy like that can certainly do great things at a place like USC.
College baseball coaches don't jump like football coaches for lateral moves. There's no reason for O'Sullivan to come here. He has money, no state income tax, getting a renovated stadium, works a prime state for recruiting etc and works at place where there is probably less pressure to win than there is here (and he's been winning just fine at FL). So why would he come here?
People that are bashing the idea of Kingston as a the HC as USC are doing so because they just don't know him... but Ray Tanner does and many folks here think Ray is 'god' when it comes to college baseball, so I'll go with his judgement on this one!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT