ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Kingston

Not doubting you, but I'm not sure what this means. What are stereotypical baseball coaches like, & how is he different?
DOESN'T TALK ABOUT BASEBALL unless you pry it out of him. Been around many coaches that live, eat and breath their sport and can't relate to people outside their sport.

When I first met him we made small talk. On the way out of the room, he came over and told me it was nice meeting me. Caught me a bit off guard because it was about an hour earlier when we spoke. Very nice man

I

Reactions: atl-cock
DOESN'T TALK ABOUT BASEBALL unless you pry it out of him. Been around many coaches that live, eat and breath their sport and can't relate to people outside their sport.

When I first met him we made small talk. On the way out of the room, he came over and told me it was nice meeting me. Caught me a bit off guard because it was about an hour earlier when we spoke. Very nice man

I
Gotcha. Thanks.

I hope that CMK has more of the Ray Tanner "gut instinct". Ray knew when to talk to the batter, when to have a slow first baseman steal second and when a pitcher was spent. He also knew when to pitch to a big tater and when not to let him hit. I also hope that when the situation requires a bunt, we can bunt.

Who would have thought our baseball program would fall behind the progress of the football and basketball programs? I remember a time when you'd mention South Carolina, people would say what a great baseball program we had. Now it's "crickets."

Last edited:
Holbrook recruited well, at least on paper, but there’s a lot of holes to fill on the pitching staff. Most of the candidates to fill those spots are freshmen, so while I’m sure we’ll take some lumps this year, hopefully it’ll be a quick turnaround with Kingston at the helm

Agreed. There's Cortez and the rest.

I like what I've seen from him so far, but I'm afraid many have forgotten what a rebuild job he has in front of him. He's gonna need time, and we fans have to give him that time.
Haven't we had a top-10 recruiting class pretty much every year since like 2000?

It's a little perplexing how we can't seem to parlay success on the field/court into success on the recruiting trails. Not griping, just musing aloud (well, not really out loud, but.... :p ).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT