ADVERTISEMENT

Martin is a great coach and a proven winner, but we need better talent

coolcock33

Dec 14, 2017
Coming off a final four there is no reason we can't get a top 30 recruiting class for 2018. From the looks of it we won't probably even have a top 60 class, so frank will have to go get some foreign kid and wait till he becomes a senior for him to be any good, or get a grad transfer reject. Not a good strategy.

Coming off a final four there is no reason we can't get a top 30 recruiting class for 2018. From the looks of it we won't probably even have a top 60 class, so frank will have to go get some foreign kid and wait till he becomes a senior for him to be any good, or get a grad transfer reject. Not a good strategy.
I love to see such 'insightful' post by people that just have joined or post 3 comments a year.

I agree with coolcock33.

It's all about talent and recruits.

After the Coastal game...Martin said no zone...it's going to be man to man and that's it.

What was our first defense play...Zone???

Frank knows we have no talent...we need to recruit!!! We were out played tonight by talent...not coaching! Bottom line!

Coach Martin took a team to the Final Four for the first time in our program history last year.
He has a young athletic team that he will coach and develop as the season goes along.
Think we should trust the process he has put in place and support the coaches and the players.
He knows what he's doing.

I think CFM is a heck of a coach. A great recruiter, maybe not so much. Of course, he isn't recruiting to an elite program either. The MBB team definitely needs some talent. I believe Frank will improve this team as the season goes on, but I don't know that we will be a tourney team this year.

Losing Rakhim really screwed up our season. Graver should be a few minutes per game backup

Coach Martin is probably more frustrated than we are right now, but I'm confident he'll get the most out of this team by March. Will that mean an NCAA bid? It doesn't look like a great chance at this time but i guarantee they'll look like a different team in a month or so. Felder's return would be huge also.

Considering the defections from last year, some of which were completely out of Coach Martin's control, how can anyone be surprised that we're struggling. The recruiting hasn't been great overall but I think that will change soon. He's earning a great reputation among high schools in state and it's just going to be a process to be a little patient with.

I'm satisfied with the direction of the program. On the surface, last night looks bad, but the future of the program is on the rise.

Reactions: 92Pony
I think Martin is a good Coach but his type of personality (the getting in players faces and yelling and screaming) is ALWAYS going to severely limit the recruiting pool.

Some fans on here will cry about that but it’s just a fact. That doesn’t mean we can’t be relatively successful compared w our past history of mediocrity but there are a lot of recruits or their parents that look at Martin and just say no immediately. Yes his type of personality is alluring to some parents that think their kid needs that type of discipline but again that’s a limited pool of families.

I think CFM is a heck of a coach. A great recruiter, maybe not so much. Of course, he isn't recruiting to an elite program either. The MBB team definitely needs some talent. I believe Frank will improve this team as the season goes on, but I don't know that we will be a tourney team this year.
You don't think we will make the tournament???? Lol. We will be lucky to qualify for the SEC tourney. Frank has recruited terribly the last few years barring Dozier, Silva and Sin. The book is still out on this years freshman class though. I think Minaya maybe a surprise, and Beatty may turn to out to be decent after taking some lumps this year. Hope they don't get fed up with losing and quit and transfer.

One thing that would greatly help USC is if the NBA does away with the "wait a year" rule. If kids know they gotta play at least 3, that will even the playing field a bit. If it looks more like WBB, where the ladies stay for at least 3 years, Martin will be able to compete better and always have a stable of good, team-oriented players.

The real question is if the fanbase is willing to support a team that's only decent every 3 years or so.

On the other hand, Clemson's not exactly loaded with 1-and-dones and they beat us bad last night.

One thing that would greatly help USC is if the NBA does away with the "wait a year" rule. If kids know they gotta play at least 3, that will even the playing field a bit. If it looks more like WBB, where the ladies stay for at least 3 years, Martin will be able to compete better and always have a stable of good, team-oriented players.

The real question is if the fanbase is willing to support a team that's only decent every 3 years or so.

On the other hand, Clemson's not exactly loaded with 1-and-dones and they beat us bad last night.
I don't understand your thinking. How can that help us? The only player I remember ever leaving early is Dozier. If the 1 and dones stay at Kentucky or Duke, those teams will just be stupid good when they are all juniors.

Reactions: rogue cock
I don't understand your thinking. How can that help us? The only player I remember ever leaving early is Dozier. If the 1 and dones stay at Kentucky or Duke, those teams will just be stupid good when they are all juniors.
They won't go to KY or Duke. They'll go to the NBA or whatever development/farm league the NBA sets up.

The kids who actually want to go to college will have to stay longer. The better coaches - who don't rely simply on raw talent - will have a better opportunity to develop their players/teams and play against teams that may have more talent, but haven't developed as a team.

Bottom line is that it will become more of a team sport again. Rather than 5 or 6 pseudo-NBA teams playing with a bunch of amateurs.

Gotta learn to do it the way the Gonzagas and Xaviers of the world do it.

Reactions: HI Cock
Noted Porter Gaud leading scorer has committed to Vandy. Tough when we miss on in-state talent.

Outlier. They've gotten plenty done without One and Dones. How many has Wichita State had? Just asking.
Yeah, but how many Final Fours did they make without a top-caliber kid like a 1-and-done?

UNC last year had only 1 Freshman that was in the same boat... but the previous two NC teams had 5 (KY) and 3 (Duke).

So... to me at least, it seems like doing away with the 1-year wait, will benefit team basketball like the brand that is played at USC.

Gonzaga has massive amounts of transfers playing for them every year. Not sure how that happens.
It's a small, Catholic school in Spokane, WA, with high admission standards and plays in the West Coast Conference. Transferring in is much easier than starting there as a Freshman.

Spokane's a decent town, but Gonzaga is not (yet) the same kind of draw as Duke or some of the other small, non-P5 schools that play basketball.

Yeah, but how many Final Fours did they make without a top-caliber kid like a 1-and-done?

UNC last year had only 1 Freshman that was in the same boat... but the previous two NC teams had 5 (KY) and 3 (Duke).

So... to me at least, it seems like doing away with the 1-year wait, will benefit team basketball like the brand that is played at USC.
Hey, I'm not arguing that point. I agree it would help us by taking away some of the advantage of the Big Boys. My point was that teams like Gonzaga, which haven't had a lot of one and dones, have danced a lot. That's why I was touting them as someone we should emulate.

Reactions: HI Cock
Hey, I'm not arguing that point. I agree it would help us by taking away some of the advantage of the Big Boys. My point was that teams like Gonzaga, which haven't had a lot of one and dones, have danced a lot. That's why I was touting them as someone we should emulate.
I gotcha. I was sort of piggybacking by saying that even though they danced a lot, they didn't get to the Final Four until they brought in a blue chip. Oregon, UNC, Gonzaga all had one last year. We had a two and done... unfortunately for him.

Reactions: king ward
You don't think we will make the tournament???? Lol. We will be lucky to qualify for the SEC tourney. Frank has recruited terribly the last few years barring Dozier, Silva and Sin. The book is still out on this years freshman class though. I think Minaya maybe a surprise, and Beatty may turn to out to be decent after taking some lumps this year. Hope they don't get fed up with losing and quit and transfer.
Maik Kotsar is one heck of a player. BWB who can shoot and drive!

because we are a mature team of older players this year like yall were last year.
our program is stuck in the mud also

maybe numbers? UK won't be able to send 4 one and dones to the pros and get 4 more the next year. I don't know how many one and dones there are every year, but I doubt its enough to really spread around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT