ADVERTISEMENT

Martin needs to get off Silva's

And that was one strange game by the refs. They'd let us get away with stuff, then call it tight. They'd let UF get away with stuff, then call it tight. Hard to figure out how to play that game. Plus both teams shot like crap and that didn't help..

Amen to that. Inconsistent as hell. They let em full out tackle each other with no calls in the first 10 minutes. Then start calling phantom fouls. I don't get it.

Last edited:
Problem is, when you have a player like Silva with a rep for fouling early and sitting on the bench for the half, the self-fulfilling prophecy is created. Tree Rollins of the late 1970's Clemson teams is a prime example. At least Tree knocked the &$%@ out of Danny Ainge in the NBA for calling him a wussy. Then he bit the hell outa Ainge's finger. I think the fans then started chanting "If you can't beat 'em, eat 'em". I miss the 80s NBA.

Reactions: funktavious
If Frank gets a technical or thrown out for arguing with the refs our holy rolling administration will suspend him and God knows what else. You know, "athletic department policy" and all. Let Frank be Frank and lay into whoever he wants.
Maybe he told Silva, "You know I cant talk to the official so I'm just going to talk to you the way I would have talked to him if I could. Thanks."

If Frank gets a technical or thrown out for arguing with the refs our holy rolling administration will suspend him and God knows what else. You know, "athletic department policy" and all. Let Frank be Frank and lay into whoever he wants.

This, unfortunately.

You are exactly right about that

This^ is the problem. OP has an opinion. How wrong it may be until one agrees, then another and another. Do you basketball coaches think he may have been getting on him cause he was hugging the side of the paint and not protecting the middle as he should have been? Regardless of call? Smdfh...!

It could have been for something else he did or didn't do prior to that. I made an interception in a game one time and my coach ripped me when I came off the field because 4 plays before that I covered the wrong man. Coaches are like elephants, they don't forget.

Reactions: whythis28
This^ is the problem. OP has an opinion. How wrong it may be until one agrees, then another and another. Do you basketball coaches think he may have been getting on him cause he was hugging the side of the paint and not protecting the middle as he should have been? Regardless of call? Smdfh...!

Will match my basketball knowledge up against yours any day of the week. Maybe, just maybe, Frank thought he was late on the help and committed the foul. He'll see it when he watches the film though.
But yeah, he could have been yelling at Silva for what you said also.

everyone has an opinion. you may not agree, thats fine. so don't smash us because we may not agree with you. live and let live

Reactions: ShannonL

Is that really our policy?

Just got back from the game and was behind our bench. He was mad at the lack of a box out that led to the foul/non foul.
And anyone that thinks FM won't give it to the refs is uninformed. Don't know if they showed it on tv but you should have heard the "advice" he had for the ref after the non-call on Sin's drive around the 4-5 minute mark.

Reactions: DrMickey
I have no idea what our policy is but I can imagine it's pretty strict. I mean we did suspend the poor man for saying a bad word once and some people heard it, they'd probably tar and feather him if he ever got a technical or an ejection.

arse. That's two bs calls by the refs on him. Last block was clean as heck and no official standing right there could have or should have thought otherwise. Didn't even look like a foul in fast motion. Maybe he should focus on chewing the ref a time or two.

how long did it take the baptists on this board to get off franks' & perry's "arse"?

Just got back from the game and was behind our bench. He was mad at the lack of a box out that led to the foul/non foul.
And anyone that thinks FM won't give it to the refs is uninformed. Don't know if they showed it on tv but you should have heard the "advice" he had for the ref after the non-call on Sin's drive around the 4-5 minute mark.

Thanks for the info. Question, can you hear Frank's words pretty well from where you are? I always wondered what it would be like to have your kid sitting close by when all the yelling starts. You can't tell on TV what he is saying, but it looks like he ain't talking about butterflies:) They never showed him working the refs. I still can't figure out what Silva did wrong. He was helping out on another player getting beat off the dribble I thought.

Thanks for the info. Question, can you hear Frank's words pretty well from where you are? I always wondered what it would be like to have your kid sitting close by when all the yelling starts. You can't tell on TV what he is saying, but it looks like he ain't talking about butterflies:) They never showed him working the refs. I still can't figure out what Silva did wrong. He was helping out on another player getting beat off the dribble I thought.
OK. You're looking to change the subject now that your original post has been blown out of the water. It went from inappropriate criticism of a player to the possibility that some young kid heard a dirty word. Question: do you have an anti-Martin animus? Don't just say no. Explain yourself.

I can hear everything most nights. Tonight was crazy loud but together with body language you could tell what was being said. On nights you can hear, having a kid there would be awkward. FM has changed though, for the better IMO. It's not a matter of coaching hard, it was a matter of some of the content. Most of the night tonight he harped on rebounding and that was clearly a focus of ours tonight - like most nights. I don't remember the exact foul on Silva you are taking about but the one that took him out in the first half was not blocking out.

I can hear everything most nights. Tonight was crazy loud but together with body language you could tell what was being said. On nights you can hear, having a kid there would be awkward. FM has changed though, for the better IMO. It's not a matter of coaching hard, it was a matter of some of the content. Most of the night tonight he harped on rebounding and that was clearly a focus of ours tonight - like most nights. I don't remember the exact foul on Silva you are taking about but the one that took him out in the first half was not blocking out.

I'd like to be that close sometime to hear all that's being said. I was referencing a foul where someone got beat off the dribble and Silva helped out and blocked the shot very cleanly and the ref hit him with the foul. It was late in the 2nd half. It wasn't a blocking out situation so I don't think it's the one you are referencing. Thanks again for the inside info.

OK. You're looking to change the subject now that your original post has been blown out of the water. It went from inappropriate criticism of a player to the possibility that some young kid heard a dirty word. Question: do you have an anti-Martin animus? Don't just say no. Explain yourself.

Where did you get your reading skills? I don't care if a kid heard a dirty word and I am not remotely changing the subject. I was wondering if the language was as bad in person as Frank's face seems to portray since I can't be at the games. I love Martin and would kill to have a kid play for him. And my OP was not even close to being blown out of the water. Silva wasn't in a block out situation and he helped on the play and got a clean block. Blown out of the water..............bwahahahaha. The poster that "blew me out of the water" was talking about a call in the first half that had to do with blocking out. Since he said he was close enough to hear, I was curious to see if the poster can hear all the stuff and what it's like.

Show me one post I've ever made that was anti Martin. I thought he was the perfect hire for us. I was tired of the sissies roaming our sidelines. Last ballsy coach we had was Fogler. You need to put the beer down.

arse. That's two bs calls by the refs on him. Last block was clean as heck and no official standing right there could have or should have thought otherwise. Didn't even look like a foul in fast motion. Maybe he should focus on chewing the ref a time or two.
That was Teddy (TV) Valentine at his best! This official does not belong on a basketball court! PERIOD

IDK. I'd rather not see Frank getting caught on national TV calling a player a "****ing ***hole" again. Caught so much crap from the taters after that.

But I don't think he would get suspended by our AD for a technical if he was pissed off at a ref.

Are you nuts? Don't you pay attention?! Our athletic department suspends first, suspends again, suspends some more, & then maybe, after suspending one more time, they look at the info to see if the suspension is warranted. We're the University of South Carolina. We're committed to being a beacon of holiness in the NCAA, not winning.

Would like to know more about this advice that was given.

That was Teddy (TV) Valentine at his best! This official does not belong on a basketball court! PERIOD

Concur.

IDK. I'd rather not see Frank getting caught on national TV calling a player a "****ing ***hole" again. Caught so much crap from the taters after that.

But I don't think he would get suspended by our AD for a technical if he was pissed off at a ref.

Don't forget about the dreaded "Athletic Department Policy."

Reactions: fightingcock103
PALEEEEEEZZZ Let Frank be Frank and BOOM be BOOM my goodness folks. You want to change THESE FELLOWS and the way they walk, Talk, Coach etc...?????? Come on fellows enjoy the success. ROLL ON COACHES!!!!

Problem is, when you have a player like Silva with a rep for fouling early and sitting on the bench for the half, the self-fulfilling prophecy is created. Tree Rollins of the late 1970's Clemson teams is a prime example. At least Tree knocked the &$%@ out of Danny Ainge in the NBA for calling him a wussy. Then he bit the hell outa Ainge's finger. I think the fans then started chanting "If you can't beat 'em, eat 'em". I miss the 80s NBA.
Big Celtics fan here, Danny Ainge didn't take shit from anyone:

PALEEEEEEZZZ Let Frank be Frank and BOOM be BOOM my goodness folks. You want to change THESE FELLOWS and the way they walk, Talk, Coach etc...?????? Come on fellows enjoy the success. ROLL ON COACHES!!!!

You are correct. I guess my op does sound like I'm being negative on Frank which was not my intent. It's rare on TV we see him getting on the refs about bad calls (which I'm sure he does). But we see every shot of him yelling at a player. At that point in the game, the refs were appearing to do their hose us at ever turn routine. Then I realized, they just plain sucked and let us get away with obvious fouls, only to call phantom ones. They did it to UF also so it sucked equally both ways.

Reactions: aj&uscgrad

Dabow could moon the refs, let out a long. loud smelly fart and the Clemmie Administration would give him the Tillman Award for REFRESHING THE AIR!

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
As much as Silva has improved his game the last year and a half under FM, he can yell at him anytime he pleases because whatever he is saying, and whenever he is saying it, it seems to be working. Let coaches coach. When they cross the line, then deal with it. The topic is silly, since know one has any idea what he was "speaking" to him about..

Reactions: wood90
Frank was yelling at Silva for something other than the foul. He brought it up during his post-game press conference.

As much as Silva has improved his game the last year and a half under FM, he can yell at him anytime he pleases because whatever he is saying, and whenever he is saying it, it seems to be working. Let coaches coach. When they cross the line, then deal with it. The topic is silly, since know one has any idea what he was "speaking" to him about..

Co-sign

If you don't want your children to be exposed to foul language that may occur in the adult world don't take them out of the house. Pretty ridiculous to expect someone coaching grown men to watch his language when your little angels hear worse on the playground at school.

Reactions: whythis28
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT