ADVERTISEMENT

Martin sitatuation similar to Spurrier

Cocky4SC

Dec 2, 2014
Spartanburg SC
I believe we see the same type situation developing with Martin as we did with Spurrier. Spurrier took us on a run that we had never seen before in the history of our football team. Martin, took us to the final four. Both are great coaches, I firmly believe it, but not very good recruiters (SOS more so at the end of his tenure). Yes, we lost Sin, PJ, Notice, and because of his choices Felder. Every team loses players each year, but the elite coaches who make the tourney year in and year out, RECRUIT hard and fill the gaps. We have a young athletic team, mixed in with average grad transfers and guys we hope will develop. This recipe is not set up be successful this year.

Reactions: king ward
I believe we see the same type situation developing with Martin as we did with Spurrier. Spurrier took us on a run that we had never seen before in the history of our football team. Martin, took us to the final four. Both are great coaches, I firmly believe it, but not very good recruiters (SOS more so at the end of his tenure). Yes, we lost Sin, PJ, Notice, and because of his choices Felder. Every team loses players each year, but the elite coaches who make the tourney year in and year out, RECRUIT hard and fill the gaps. We have a young athletic team, mixed in with average grad transfers and guys we hope will develop. This recipe is not set up be successful this year.
True he's had some tough luck signing some guys, but what was he supposed to do about unexpectedly losing two major contributors so late in the process.

Felder and PJ were completely unexpected losses and it was very late in the process to expect to sign high level recruits to replace them.

With those two guys in the fold, we are a completely different team. Our guard play and defense are at a different level, and there's a decent chance we are still undefeated. Coach hasn't given up like some of the fans despite a lot of tough breaks.

The mordant point that is being conveniently overlooked by the flower-sniffers.

The mordant point that is being conveniently overlooked by the flower-sniffers.
Most are not "flower sniffers." They are true Gamecocks who appreciate that we went to the Final Four last year for the first time in this program's history. Anyone who knows Coach Martin knows that there is not a complacent bone in his body and to start criticizing him is just plain ridiculous and a true sign of disrespect for what he has done for the University Of South Carolina. But understand while the majority of Gamecock Nation are appreciative of the way he has and is running the program, that is the nature of some who post on this board to remain critical because that's where y'all live.

Most are not "flower sniffers." They are true Gamecocks who appreciate that we went to the Final Four last year for the first time in this program's history. Anyone who knows Coach Martin knows that there is not a complacent bone in his body and to start criticizing him is just plain ridiculous and a true sign of disrespect for what he has done for the University Of South Carolina. But understand while the majority of Gamecock Nation are appreciative of the way he has and is running the program, that is the nature of some who post on this board to remain critical because that's where y'all live.
This isn't World War II, which is indelible, we're talking about. This is mere athletics. What he has "done" in basketball is now history, the effects of which begin diminishing immediately. I don't care how compassionate or non-complacent he is, he's paid to field a good competitive team every year. This deep into his tenure, we shouldn't be where we are.

"...RECRUIT hard and fill the gaps..."

I share your frustration. It's foolish to presume FM is not working hard.

Reactions: Baltcock96
One tourney bid in 5 years..sounds about right lol

One tourney bid in 5 years..sounds about right lol
Ridiculous thinking. Coach didn't exactly walk into a gold mine.

We just went to a final four at the University of South Carolina. If Thornwell doesn't get the flu, we probably play in the finals with a legitimate chance to win it all.

Again, 51 wins in two seasons and some of you can't see the silver lining. Keep complaining and you might be looking for a new coach.

Reactions: Silverspur02
This isn't World War II, which is indelible, we're talking about. This is mere athletics. What he has "done" in basketball is now history, the effects of which begin diminishing immediately. I don't care how compassionate or non-complacent he is, he's paid to field a good competitive team every year. This deep into his tenure, we shouldn't be where we are.
Where are we? Where should we be?

Where are we? Where should we be?
We are currently in the lower half of major programs, a year removed from the Final Four. We should be in the Top 25. Every year. We have some success in our history. We have a distinctive arena. We are supposed to have a top-tier brain trust. Falloffs like this shouldn't be part of our ethos.

Reactions: 67gamecock
yes, please stop. we have enough negative nellies on this site. geez

Have to agree with the above poster. Thornwell doesn't get the flu we are in the championship game and we very well could have won it all. He took over a program that was in the absolute pit of despair.

Also.....it's December for crying out loud. Not even the most optimistic Gamecock fan could have envisioned a Final Four run after we lost to a bad Clemson team at home last year. I'm not saying we make another Final Four run, but give the team a chance to prove themselves.

Reactions: roosterbell
Have to agree with the above poster. Thornwell doesn't get the flu we are in the championship game and we very well could have won it all. He took over a program that was in the absolute pit of despair.

Also.....it's December for crying out loud. Not even the most optimistic Gamecock fan could have envisioned a Final Four run after we lost to a bad Clemson team at home last year. I'm not saying we make another Final Four run, but give the team a chance to prove themselves.
No one is keeping them from proving themselves is they have the capacity to do it. That's on them.

We are currently in the lower half of major programs, a year removed from the Final Four. We should be in the Top 25. Every year. We have some success in our history. We have a distinctive arena. We are supposed to have a top-tier brain trust. Falloffs like this shouldn't be part of our ethos.
Or we could be #5 and lose to Wofford!

Amen.

Have you ever had a positive thought? All the posts I have seen you from you are "gloom and doom."

I think we are all rooting for Frank, but I also think most of us can agree that recruiting, for whatever reason, has been extremely underwhelming since the Final Four. It's difficult to fathom how we are getting outrecruited by nearly every other SEC program & Clemson, and many of these programs do not give the slightest damn about basketball. I don't believe it's anti-Gamecock or somehow sacrilegious to point out that the recruiting needs to improve in a hurry if we are going to capitalize on the Final Four run.

I think we are all rooting for Frank, but I also think most of us can agree that recruiting, for whatever reason, has been extremely underwhelming since the Final Four. It's difficult to fathom how we are getting outrecruited by nearly every other SEC program & Clemson, and many of these programs do not give the slightest damn about basketball. I don't believe it's anti-Gamecock or somehow sacrilegious to point out that the recruiting needs to improve in a hurry if we are going to capitalize on the Final Four run.
Sagacious. Rare around here.

And at what did you laugh? An ACC championship. an SEC championship, a Final Four - all achieved since antiquity. Some success.
We have had less post season success than St. Bonaventure. What are your expectations of them?

And a Final Four THIS Calender Year. Even the dumbest ones remember that. And I did specify SOME success.
Why would the final four run last season have had an effect on last season's recruiting class? Most quality players already committed and signed prior to the NCAA Tourney. Let's see what happens this year.

Why would the final four run last season have had an effect on last season's recruiting class? Most quality players already committed and signed prior to the NCAA Tourney. Let's see what happens this year.
So, how is recruiting looking right now - prospectively? Wasn't the early signing day for basketball Nov. 8th? How did that go?

Tho
Those elite coaches of which you reference have a lot more to sell. Our program was dormant for years. Martin inherited the mess and imo has made strides in restoring credibility because he works like mad. Based on some of the posts I've seen he's on to some real talent for next year. The Spurrier reference you make is way off base, imo.

Totally different set of circumstances. Spurrier had a few years of improving with the program then it paid off with three consecutive 11 win seasons. And then whether through bad luck, bad evaluations, or Spurrier just dialing it back, it all fell apart. As we all know, last years end of season success was a bit of a surprise that nobody would have even predicted as late as the SEC tournament. So USC’s first real shot of success after years of mediocrity was the first time high level recruits may have even noticed USC. And was too late to pay off with last years recruiting class. This years very average squad was to be expected. Another difference is that I don’t see Martin suddenly longing for the golf course, or retirement, as was supposedly Spurriers intention. And USC is still viewed as a program that got hot at the right time and caught lightening in a bottle. Not near the program that attracts the elite recruits at this point. It may be a situation where Frank has to develop a team to look at winning big every 3-4 years as to a program that challenges every year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT