ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe we should get Greg Marshal?

Well Marshall has gone 179 - 35 over the past 6 years. Average of 30-6. Which is on average 4 wins per year more than the best record in school history.
In the same time period he has taken Wichita St, to 6 NCAAs. Including a sweet 16 and A FINAL FOUR.

Overall he is 455-173 with a 73% winning percentage (better than Frank McGuire)
He has 13 NCAAs to our 9 in program history.
He has 11 NCAA wins to our 8 in program history (counting the 4 this year).
He has 11 regular season conference championships to our 2.
He has 8 conference tournament championships to our 1.
He is a 7 time conference coach of the year.
He is a national coach of the year winner.

We have a great coach! We are on a great ride! I'm glad we have FM.

However, GM is a great coach too! And unfortunately, we've had to watch a Gamecock fan have more success over the past 15 years than we've had in the past 100, while idiots like you keep telling us he isn't good enough for us.

IMHO, it has more to do that Frank Martin is OUR coach, not "The Gregg". I don't think I've ever seen such a love affair for another teams coach. It's creepy.
If it's creppy to you it's because you make it creepy. I don't know why it's so hard for some to understand that a lot of Gamecock fans cheer for the guy because he's a native South Carolinian. A lot from the RH area got to know him when he was coaching and winning big a little old Winthrop and still follow him because they want to see him succeed.
What's wrong with that?

Reactions: rogue cock
Everyone who questioned Frank or Tanner should have to come out and publicly own up to the fact that they didn't know jack sh!t

Everyone who questioned Frank or Tanner should have to come out and publicly own up to the fact that they didn't know jack sh!t
Tanner? Tanner didn't hire Martin.

This "issue" is not so much a Martin v. Marshall "issue" as it was a Horn v. Marshall issue. Most of us couldn't figure out why Fogler and the admin. would choose Horn over Marshall (who was local and knew the recruiting in this area) and the explanations we got were bogus. After the Horn fiasco, there was still quite a few that thought Marshall had earned the opportunity (and he had) but for reasons that are still debated, the admin chose Martin. It has turned out to be a great choice....thankfully. Gregg will be successful regardless of where he goes (I think Indiana made a huge mistake by not getting him, but I've read finances may have played a role in choosing Miller).

A lot of the criticism of Martin was criticisms taken from the KSU board (especially those regarding an assistant coach...and that had more to do with recruiting than coaching). Obviously, posters on both boards have pretty much changed their evaluations of Frank Martin. And that's what a great coach will do....prove detractors wrong. Coach Smith did at UNC, Coach K did at Duke...and I'm sure there are many other examples.

As an aside, quite a few of those "true, holier-than-thou supporters" of Martin were also the ones who would attack any criticism of Horn up until the very end (and Spurrier for that matter), so the fact that they consider themselves to be "true supporters" and are trying to play the "I told you so" card means absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

This "issue" is not so much a Martin v. Marshall "issue" as it was a Horn v. Marshall issue. Most of us couldn't figure out why Fogler and the admin. would chose Horn over Marshall (who was local and knew the recruiting in this area) and the explanations we got were bogus. After the Horn fiasco, there was still quite a few that thought Marshall had earned the opportunity (and he had) but for reasons that are still debated, the admin chose Martin. It has turned out to be a great choice....thankfully. Gregg will be successful regardless of where he goes (I think Indiana made a huge mistake by not getting him, but I've read finances may have played a role in choosing Miller).

A lot of the criticism of Martin was criticisms taken from the KSU board (especially those regarding an assistant coach...and that had more to do with recruiting than coaching). Obviously, posters on both boards have pretty much changed their evaluations of Frank Martin. And that's what a great coach will do....prove detractors wrong. Coach Smith did at UNC, Coach K did at Duke...and I'm sure there are many other examples.

As an aside, quite a few of those "true, holier-than-thou supporters" of Martin were also the ones who would attack any criticism of Horn up until the very end (and Spurrier for that matter), so the fact that they consider themselves to be "true supporters" and are trying to play the "I told you so" card means absolutely nothing.

Probably has more to do with all the "Tanner should be fired if he doesn't fire Martin" posts/threads. There were quite a few.

Reactions: coolcock2001
You were also wrong about Marshall. Remember when you were telling everyone that Marshall was a terrible coach and wouldn't be successful at Wichita St? Then he went and took his team to a Final Four losing to the eventual champs. The guy has won at least one tournament game the last 5 years. But he's a terrible coach, right, Pepsi? Just admit you were wrong about Marshall.

Why doesn't Marshall go to the ACC ,BIG 10 , or SEC, when a job opens up instead of that easy conference that he can easily win 22 games a year is in now ? Missouri Valley Conference is a joke

STANDINGS
CONF OVERALL
Wichita State 17-1 31-5
Illinois State 17-1 28-7
Southern Illinois 9-9 17-16
UNI 9-9 14-16
Loyola 8-10 18-14
Missouri State 7-11 17-16
Bradley 7-11 13-20
Evansville 6-12 16-17
Indiana State 5-13 11-20
Drake 5-13 7-24

Why doesn't Marshall go to the ACC ,BIG 10 , or SEC, when a job opens up instead of that easy conference that he can easily win 22 games a year is in now ? Missouri Valley Conference is a joke

STANDINGS
CONF OVERALL
Wichita State 17-1 31-5
Illinois State 17-1 28-7
UNI 9-9 14-16
Loyola 8-10 18-14
Bradley 7-11 13-20
Evansville 6-12 16-17
Indiana State 5-13 11-20
Drake 5-13 7-24
Quit comparing RPI, huh? They do play some good OOC competition.

I'm sure he will get offered sooner or later and will go. He was on Indiana's list, but reportedly for financial reasons Indiana went with Miller. Good choice....but doesn't have the resume that Marshall does.

This "issue" is not so much a Martin v. Marshall "issue" as it was a Horn v. Marshall issue. Most of us couldn't figure out why Fogler and the admin. would choose Horn over Marshall (who was local and knew the recruiting in this area) and the explanations we got were bogus. After the Horn fiasco, there was still quite a few that thought Marshall had earned the opportunity (and he had) but for reasons that are still debated, the admin chose Martin. It has turned out to be a great choice....thankfully. Gregg will be successful regardless of where he goes (I think Indiana made a huge mistake by not getting him, but I've read finances may have played a role in choosing Miller).

Yes, Tanner. Most people criticizing Martin went ahead and indicted Ray in the next breath. Athletics dept is being run into the ground, etc.

To those people I say:
G0XQe.gif

Evidence that I was right about Frank Martin for 5 years . Frank was hired 5 years ago tomorrow :p:p

You also said that Marshall wasn't a very good coach and ran on to this board every time WSU had a loss to labor that point. And, as is so often the case when you put fingers to keyboard, you were wrong. Marshall has had a very impressive career, including multiple trips to the NCAA tournament and a Final Four appearance.

STANDINGS
CONF OVERALL
Wichita State 17-1 31-5
Illinois State 17-1 28-7
UNI 9-9 14-16
Loyola 8-10 18-14
Bradley 7-11 13-20
Evansville 6-12 16-17
Indiana State 5-13 11-20
Drake 5-13 7-24
Why doesn't Mark Few go to a power conference? His conference is in the same ballpark as the MVC. Does this make him less of a coach? Don't think so. He's one of the best in the business.

I think most of us agree all three (Martin, Marshal and Few) are great coaches and all seem to be happy with their current situation.

If it's creppy to you it's because you make it creepy. I don't know why it's so hard for some to understand that a lot of Gamecock fans cheer for the guy because he's a native South Carolinian. A lot from the RH area got to know him when he was coaching and winning big a little old Winthrop and still follow him because they want to see him succeed.
What's wrong with that?

No it is creepy. To this day I still think Brad Edwards is the best looking football player ever to have graced our field, but I don't bring up his name as a replacement for Ray EVERY time something goes bad, and act like someone licked all the red off my lollipop because he wasn't hired here. The people that this thread is directed towards are worse than teenage girls going nuts over *insert boy band du jour*.

Why doesn't Mark Few go to a power conference? His conference is in the same ballpark as the MVC. Does this make him less of a coach? Don't think so. He's one of the best in the business.

I think most of us agree all three (Martin, Marshal and Few) are great coaches and all seem to be happy with their current situation.
This last part I agree with for sure. I don't understand why some people think in order to appreciate one, you have to bash the other(s). You can respect/like multiple coaches. Just like I enjoy soft drinks; you don't just have to pick one between Coke and, um ... Oh.

Considering how hard it is to make the Final Four, there are no guarantees Gregg would have taken us there. Marshall is an excellent coach and I'm sure our program would be in good shape had he come here. However I'll take the guy that has actually done it here. Frank Martin is the man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT