ADVERTISEMENT

Meechie Portal

Well that's unfortunate for sure. Best of luck to Meechie.

College Athletics has become one big ADHD show. The new zero connection world of college athletics is a bad for fans and likely most players as well. Commitment and perseverance are fundamentally important for maturity and purpose in this world. Money can't buy this.

Reactions: Eighty6pack
He has no chance at the NBA. He's way too inconsistent. He went long stretches this year where he disappeared. He'd never convince an NBA team to take a chance on him. Tons of better players than he is just in the NCAA tournament.

With a good off-season of work, he could be a featured player for us next year.

but he might want to play for a different coach or play closer to home.

He has no chance at the NBA. He's way too inconsistent. He went long stretches this year where he disappeared. He'd never convince an NBA team to take a chance on him. Tons of better players than he is just in the NCAA tournament.

With a good off-season of work, he could be a featured player for us next year.

but he might want to play for a different coach or play closer to home.
Or most importantly make more money from another school.

Reactions: 92Pony
No doubt money will be a factor. It is for most everyone.
It's why NIL is such a controversial topic now. Biggest bidder gets who they want. Transfer portal has turned college sports (mainly football and basketball) into free agency.

Reactions: 92Pony
Meechie will have to determine if he can make more money playing college ball or playing overseas. Good luck to him.

I don't like it but the fact of the matter is our whole team was built from the portal last year. I will wait and see and give Lamont the benefit of the doubt this year since he has shown to bring in good talent.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I don't like it but the fact of the matter is our whole team was built from the portal last year. I will wait and see and give Lamont the benefit of the doubt this year since he has shown to bring in good talent.
Or it was a mix of good fortune and skill at finding the right players in the portal; remains to be seen if skill was the larger part of his success this concluded season.

Imagine if the portal existed when BJ McKie, Thornwell and other fan favorites were here. I miss the days of developing young men. Have a really young team? Hey we'll have a squad next year. Now you never know and they are all one and done.

I love watching Meechie play and I will miss him, but he can be replaced and I'm interested to see who LP brings in. The new normal is goodbye, good luck, who's next! How much fun was it to see Cooper come in with his skill set and run the team, no way we see that without the portal, it gives and it takes away, get used to it!

Reactions: Lurker123
Meechie is going pro, and I hope he gets a good contract and does well.

What bothers me, and it happens at every school, is the player who sends out a letter or message over social media that says “I thank the fans and staff and university for being so good to me. It’s been a wonderful time here and greatly beneficial to me. I’ve grown as a person and as a player. I’ll miss it here so much, yak, yak, yak.”
So my question is: Then why are you leaving? Just leave, we wish you well, but save the yakking for somebody else.

I don't get the big deal with Meechie leaving he was a liability at best near the end of the year turnover machine who blew layups & was terribly inconsistent from the outside?

I don't get the big deal with Meechie leaving he was a liability at best near the end of the year turnover machine who blew layups & was terribly inconsistent from the outside?
He could hit a string four 3s and then miss the next ten he shot. That’s still a good average but often times led to easy rebound points for the opponent.

Good player. Probably be even better next year after another year working on his game.

makes sense for him to play closer to home at Ohio State.

Meechie is going pro, and I hope he gets a good contract and does well.

What bothers me, and it happens at every school, is the player who sends out a letter or message over social media that says “I thank the fans and staff and university for being so good to me. It’s been a wonderful time here and greatly beneficial to me. I’ve grown as a person and as a player. I’ll miss it here so much, yak, yak, yak.”
So my question is: Then why are you leaving? Just leave, we wish you well, but save the yakking for somebody else.

Really? IMO, seems like a classy gesture and hat tip to the fans/program. The issue is that it's usually done in the same time window where fans are frustrated about losing the player so it's not taken as such.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT