ADVERTISEMENT

Miami condo

When you see the video, its clear the middle section comes down first and then the north tower comes down 10-15 seconds later. Now look at the top down snapshot of the rubble and look at the area b/t the pool and the standing building. It looks to me as if that entire section of slab work dropped 8’ thus leading me to believe this collapse is sinkhole related.

Im hearing that salt infused groundwater has been destroying the concrete and steel pilings over time.

The amount of high-rise condos in that particular area is unreal. The idea that one could experience an issue like what you describe makes total sense. Security and inspections should skyrocket along with insurance costs.

Reactions: Cockopotamus
Somewhere in South Florida, a few years ago they had a walking bridge that was near completion or just finish completion that collapsed.
rts1nulp.jpg

Engineering, engineering, engineering.

Someone mentioned salt water issues. It could definitely be an issue if steel pilings were used. Concrete pilings would not be effected by the salt water chemicals being in the soil. I would hope they are smart enough down there to not be using steel.
I'm dealing with a contactor from Mexico/Brazil right now down here near Charleston. They drew the plans for steel pilings, it got shot down immediately. For the most part, you will get concrete or stone columns approved around anywhere near salt water.

Sometimes older buildings can be damaged by construction of new building next to them. When they built the St Regis in Bal Harbor our friends live in the building next door. Their building won a lawsuit against the construction company for damages to their building with the implosion of the building that was there before the St Regis.

Reactions: TAV31
So your expert eyes can detect 6 inches of water movement over a period of 10 years 😄.
I am more of an expert in climate science than Al Gore. As I am sitting on my balcony in MIA and I can see that we are not under water as he predicted. I know it is true because my wife went to the bagel shop and we do not own a boat.

And the beach here is the same as it has been, nice and wide.

I am more of an expert in climate science than Al Gore. As I am sitting on my balcony in MIA and I can see that we are not under water as he predicted. I know it is true because my wife went to the bagel shop and we do not own a boat.

In other words you don't know if its advanced or not.

Reactions: ansoncock
In other words you don't know if its advanced or not.
Our building recently got permission to expand the pools closer to the ocean, so obviously the City does no believe that the ocean is any closer to the building. I believe they measure these types of things…

Engineering, engineering, engineering.

Someone mentioned salt water issues. It could definitely be an issue if steel pilings were used. Concrete pilings would not be effected by the salt water chemicals being in the soil. I would hope they are smart enough down there to not be using steel.
I'm dealing with a contactor from Mexico/Brazil right now down here near Charleston. They drew the plans for steel pilings, it got shot down immediately. For the most part, you will get concrete or stone columns approved around anywhere near salt water.
Concrete pilings just as susceptible. Salt water leaches into the concrete and starts corrosion on the rebar.

The amount of high-rise condos in that particular area is unreal. The idea that one could experience an issue like what you describe makes total sense. Security and inspections should skyrocket along with insurance costs.
It is just baffling this could happen without tale tale signs of impending disaster. Were the signs ignored or absent?

If Algore thought climate change was real, he would be living the life style of Ralph Nader. He would fly commercial, live in a modest home instead of multiple mansions and not be such a sex poodle.

Algore is a huckster pocketing millions from gullible people; he obviously doesn't believe there is a climate emergency.

Last edited:
Our building recently got permission to expand the pools closer to the ocean, so obviously the City does no believe that the ocean is any closer to the building. I believe they measure these types of things…
Humans are stupid. That literally proves nothing. We continue to rebuild on floodplains and rebuilt New Orleans. The fact that a city issued a permit proves nothing. I'm not saying its enroached or not just that you aren't offering any scientific studies to back up your claims...just anecdotal evidence at best.

Looks like they were ignored. The engineers were warned of major structural damage in 2018:
https://dnyuz.com/2021/06/26/engineer-warned-of-major-structural-damage-at-florida-condo-complex/
Wow, I did not know of this report. I could understand why the engineer would not say that the building is about to collapse, even though implied the engineer implied that if repairs were not made the cracks could increase exponentially. That statement indicated that if the repairs weren't made, bad things would happen.

Why did it take so long for repairs to be made? Why write a report if the report will not be heeded in a timely fashion? Just waiting for "......repairs were delayed due to COVID".

Reactions: PaleoCock
Wow, I did not know of this report. I could understand why the engineer would not say that the building is about to collapse, even though implied the engineer implied that if repairs were not made the cracks could increase exponentially. That statement indicated that if the repairs weren't made, bad things would happen.

Why did it take so long for repairs to be made? Why write a report if the report will not be heeded in a timely fashion? Just waiting for "......repairs were delayed due to COVID".
Money money money. Very expensive to shore up the pilings.

The fact a permit was issued for a pool means nothing. People on councils and approval committee are concerned with abs leveraged due to increased tax revenues and encouraged my increased tourism from nice updated facilities.

I’m an engineer and have had my recommendations ignored many times due to budget issues only to have it blow it on them and cost many x more than if they had addressed it early. Sadly the people that make these decisions lack the technical knowledge to understand why and when they should
Make such decisions. It’s all about money votes etc.

Looks like they were ignored. The engineers were warned of major structural damage in 2018:
https://dnyuz.com/2021/06/26/engineer-warned-of-major-structural-damage-at-florida-condo-complex/
The report added that “failure to replace the waterproofing in the near future will cause the extent of the concrete deterioration to expand exponentially.”

What did the engineer mean by this? No one can deny the report writer was correct. Maybe he should have been better at emphasizing this point to bean counters concerned about money.

Reactions: PaleoCock
Concrete pilings just as susceptible. Salt water leaches into the concrete and starts corrosion on the rebar.
That is not true at all if constructed right. We make the pilings thicker in those areas, so in 250+yrs there will be no corrosion on the rebar other than the normal discoloration from being in the Portland compound(concrete). The rebar required is thicker, and sometimes coated. We also use the all stone columns if the engineer designing doesn't want any steel involved.

Humans are stupid. That literally proves nothing. We continue to rebuild on floodplains and rebuilt New Orleans. The fact that a city issued a permit proves nothing. I'm not saying its enroached or not just that you aren't offering any scientific studies to back up your claims...just anecdotal evidence at best.
Yeah mostly I look at the ocean from my balcony while I smoke a Cohiba and drink some bourbon. It does not seem to move unless I drink too much. My tape measure is only good for 50 feet, the beach here is much wider, I do not think I can measure it, then there is the whole high tide low tide issue. And the moon phase we are in, and what if there is a King Tide?

You will just have to trust powers of observation.

Apparently this building has been sinking for years if not decades . I’m sure there will be a massive lawsuit and there should be . There is no foul play involved at all . Nice try
The people living there are probably low income and can't afford to move. Otherwise I doubt they would have allowed tenants to inhabit the building for decades after the city became aware of structural integrity issues.

The people living there are probably low income and can't afford to move. Otherwise I doubt they would have allowed tenants to inhabit the building for decades after the city became aware of structural integrity issues.
Beachfront and someone said mostly Jewish, I don't think I have ever met a low income Jewish person.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Well those units sold for $600K to $700K. They are pretty low priced for beachfront property in MIA because it is an old building. Not really a very nice looking building, there are a lot of old building like it in that area.

I would argue that poor people cannot afford a $700K home. And then there are the monthly Association fees you have to pay in a building here. I don’t know what the fees were there but I know our fee is about $5K per month.

• Wow
Reactions: caughtlookin
Well those units sold for $600K to $700K. They are pretty low priced for beachfront property in MIA because it is an old building. Not really a very nice looking building, there are a lot of old building like it in that area.

I would argue that poor people cannot afford a $700K home. And then there are the monthly Association fees you have to pay in a building here. I don’t know what the fees were there but I know our fee is about $5K per month.
Tell me you mean per year

Reactions: SparkleCity
Chief, this building would have been built on pilings driven deep into the earth and not simply on excavated soil. There were some comments that the building shook when the adjacent structure pilings were driven which would occur since they drive into the same rock below. Additionally, a project like this requires third party testing of structural steel, pilings, any fill dirt and concrete samples from every pour. Engineers would have been required to inspect as well to ensure that the design was followed. You would have triple redundancy in inspections. All the data would be preserved and will be re-examined. Miami has some of the toughest building codes in the world because of their unique landscape. However, the constant exposure to salt and high winds are sure to affect any structure. That,s why at 40 years old, building must be examined and recertified. That process was just underway on this structure. My only question is, why did they start on the roof and not in the foundation ?

A terrible tragedy to be sure. This one will be studied for years.
Bubbaglide is spot on about the third party testing and certifications during construction. Measuring compressive strength of concrete is one such example.

Yeah mostly I look at the ocean from my balcony while I smoke a Cohiba and drink some bourbon. It does not seem to move unless I drink too much. My tape measure is only good for 50 feet, the beach here is much wider, I do not think I can measure it, then there is the whole high tide low tide issue. And the moon phase we are in, and what if there is a King Tide?

You will just have to trust powers of observation.
You sure are cocky for someone ignoring basic science.

Tell me you mean per year
Monthly fee: covers the concierge, valet, pool boy, beach service, restaurants, security guards, etc. every building has a monthly fee, the more expensive the building the higher the fees. The fewer the units in the building the higher the cost.

My point is that the people living in that building were not poor. It costs a lot of money to live in an ocean front building in Miami, even if it is an old building.

I read where the building needed $9 million in repairs for recertification. So the assesment would have been about $70k per unit (130 units total). You have to pay that out of pocket now if you lived there. These were not poor people, they were doing ok.

Monthly fee: covers the concierge, valet, pool boy, beach service, restaurants, security guards, etc. every building has a monthly fee, the more expensive the building the higher the fees. The fewer the units in the building the higher the cost.

My point is that the people living in that building were not poor. It costs a lot of money to live in an ocean front building in Miami, even if it is an old building.

I read where the building needed $9 million in repairs for recertification. So the assesment would have been about $70k per unit (130 units total). You have to pay that out of pocket now if you lived there. These were not poor people, they were doing ok.
If they can pay 5k per month for the regime fee, then I’d say they are getting by

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Saw rescuers on top of the pile with five gallon buckets. I guess they have moved on from finding survivors, and now are searching for human remains.
Not necessarily. It could be easier to fill a debris bucket 5han hand down chunks of rock. Though you could be right.

I think here at day 4 the only way there are more survivors is if they managed to capture rain or fire hose water to drink. I dont think you can go past 4 days without water right?

If you live on Brickell Avenue you are doing very VERY well financially.
Thanks for "putting some knowledge" to me about the area. I was going off the appearance of the building and the legacy of known problems with its structural integrity. It looks like a government housing project and I bet the opposite wing of that building was probably also in danger of collapsing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT