ADVERTISEMENT

Miami condo

Thanks for "putting some knowledge" to me about the area. I was going off the appearance of the building and the legacy of known problems with its structural integrity. It looks like a government housing project and I bet the opposite wing of that building was probably also in danger of collapsing.
The local news says they have inspected the sister buildings of the collapsed tower, they have found no issues with them so far.

They are using lasers to monitor the remaining building to give warning in case it starts to fall.

Somewhere in South Florida, a few years ago they had a walking bridge that was near completion or just finish completion that collapsed.
rts1nulp.jpg
Look at the concrete supplier. Then look at the connections they had to politicians.

Reactions: Cybercock
How people keep falling for this is just incredulous.
For those who do not know, Tyler Durdern is the name of the character played by Brad Pitt in Fight Club.
You didn’t even read it. It is a reposting of an article written by Rupert Darwell. So what is there to fall for? What part of the article is not true?

The reason most people do not buy your “theory” is the alarmist predictions you all make that everyone can see never come true. Like Al Gore who said we would be under 9 feet of water in MIA by 2009, and I can assure you we are not under water. And so called global warming did not cause that building to collapse as someone on her foolishly stated. It most likely fell due to technical errors in the construction that were not addressed in time.

I am waiting for one of you to blame the western drought on global warming, maybe not realizing that most of that part of the country is an arid desert that never had enough water to host so many large cities without piping in water from some other area.

I guess if you own one of the condo’s that wasn’t affected it’s worthless now. Who would stay in it, and who would buy it?
As I was watching the news tonight, it was reported there is a carbon copy condo right beside the one that clasped. I won't live in a unit of that particular condo (the one that is a carbo copy) if it were given to me.

As I was watching the news tonight, it was reported there is a carbon copy condo right beside the one that clasped. I won't live in a unit of that particular condo (the one that is a carbo copy) if it were given to me.
No, they already checked them, they found no issues with them. This one had a construction flaw according to the local news.

You didn’t even read it. It is a reposting of an article written by Rupert Darwell. So what is there to fall for? What part of the article is not true?

The reason most people do not buy your “theory” is the alarmist predictions you all make that everyone can see never come true. Like Al Gore who said we would be under 9 feet of water in MIA by 2009, and I can assure you we are not under water. And so called global warming did not cause that building to collapse as someone on her foolishly stated. It most likely fell due to technical errors in the construction that were not addressed in time.

I am waiting for one of you to blame the western drought on global warming, maybe not realizing that most of that part of the country is an arid desert that never had enough water to host so many large cities without piping in water from some other area.
I have not presented a theory on this thread concerning global warming, so your post is misdirected. Perhaps you should sharpen you research skills next time you decide to initiate your latest diatribe to a particular individual. .

I read an article years ago in the Wall Street Journal that basically said, there is only one thing to consider when buying a condo, "just don't buy one". Now the article was referring to the financial aspects of buying a condo.

Today, is there money to be made when buying a condo? Example, increase in property value?

I read an article years ago in the Wall Street Journal that basically said, there is only one thing to consider when buying a condo, "just don't buy one". Now the article was referring to the financial aspects of buying a condo.

Today, is there money to be made when buying a condo? Example, increase in property value?
I just read an article where a condo in the sister building of Champlain Tower was about to be listed, and increased in value by almost 200k in 2 years.
So depending on location like most real estate transactions they can increase in value. With that said doesn't look very promising for the condo I referred to.

Not sure why a condo would be any different than any other property.

Especially as the US becomes more urbanized and adds more multi family homes to offset the housing shortage.

Not sure why a condo would be any different than any other property.

Especially as the US becomes more urbanized and adds more multi family homes to offset the housing shortage.
Condos do appreciate, just not as fast as a single-family home because of all the extra costs and use restrictions. I think a lot of people get burned by escalating association fees over time and it's also harder to re-sell because of the added obligations/restrictions (you almost have to have a "perfect" buyer - one who is really ok with all the different circumstances that come with each condo complex).

Of course regular houses have issue too - but fewer impediments in the buying and selling markets.

If you owned a condo in a nice area of MIA pre-Covid you will have seen a pretty good increase in value. A lot of people moved here from NY and SFO once they could work from anywhere. Our real estate agent told us that most properties sell before they are listed.

You will probably see a drop in value for older buildings after this accident. Newer buildings will probably benefit from this. These old Surfside buildings are sitting on prime real estate. Developers will be looking to scoop up these buildings at a bargain price now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT