ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Leach 1st year at Washington St. 3-9; 1st year at Miss. St. 4-7. Some of you would

It is ridiculous to compare Leach, Spurrier, Lou , or anyone like that to Beamer. These guys are proven winners and fans are willing to be patient with proven guys. If it wasn't for his last name Beamer would be a complete unknown to 99% of CFB fans.

True. A guy like Pittman is a much better comparison.

Regardless, judging a guy that is in his first year, and who is doing something completely different than his predecessor, is kind of pointless. And looking down on a guy that has already improved on his predecessor's previous year's team also seems a bit desperate.

True. A guy like Pittman is a much better comparison.

Regardless, judging a guy that is in his first year, and who is doing something completely different than his predecessor, is kind of pointless. And looking down on a guy that has already improved on his predecessor's previous year's team also seems a bit desperate.
Pittman hired much better coordinators.

• Love
Reactions: LakewoodCock
have no doubt called him all kinds of names, wanted him and his staff fired, etc. This is the SEC - there are no quick fixes. Give Coach Beamer and his staff time.
Well of those teams had shown any type of progress then no, we wouldn't have called for change. The situation here is that the team hasn't improved. We beat Florida because of how bad they were, not how good we are.

have no doubt called him all kinds of names, wanted him and his staff fired, etc. This is the SEC - there are no quick fixes. Give Coach Beamer and his staff time.
Beamers no Mike Leach…never been anything more than a position coach…so no comparison

• Sad
Pittman hired much better coordinators.

This is true as well. Special Teams Coordinators are probably a push. I think Clayton White is close to equal to Kendall Briles (both young, up-and-coming guys). Briles did have more OC experience than White had DC experience, so you can give Briles an edge. However, it's not like Briles was "can't miss." Odom is lightyears ahead of Satterfield though - but that gift fell right into Pittman's lap. And definitely count me into the group that thinks Satterfield is overpaid. He's not a $900k a year hire. Not yet for sure. But the real advantage for Pittman came from a great opportunity - not just because he knew he could get someone of Odom's caliber when he was hired.

Again though, it's year 1. The team has shown growth throughout the season - not the constant downward projection of muschamp. Seems like a good place to be in year 1.

• Wow
It is ridiculous to compare Leach, Spurrier, Lou , or anyone like that to Beamer. These guys are proven winners and fans are willing to be patient with proven guys. If it wasn't for his last name Beamer would be a complete unknown to 99% of CFB fans.
Yeah, Leach won quickly at TTU which is not the SEC, people were saying his system wouldn't with in the SEC last year. Is your gripe that we're losing or that we took a chance? What is Beamer beats all the outside opinions on how he'd look first year, would you stop calling for jobs then?

• Haha
This is true as well. Special Teams Coordinators are probably a push. I think Clayton White is close to equal to Kendall Briles (both young, up-and-coming guys). Briles did have more OC experience than White had DC experience, so you can give Briles an edge. However, it's not like Briles was "can't miss." Odom is lightyears ahead of Satterfield though - but that gift fell right into Pittman's lap. And definitely count me into the group that thinks Satterfield is overpaid. He's not a $900k a year hire. Not yet for sure. But the real advantage for Pittman came from a great opportunity - not just because he knew he could get someone of Odom's caliber when he was hired.

Again though, it's year 1. The team has shown growth throughout the season - not the constant downward projection of muschamp. Seems like a good place to be in year 1.

Well Odom and Pittman are very good friends so he probably knew already he could get him. Also, he was considered the best Oline coach in the country for many years. Coaching, developing, and evaluating the Oline is very difficult and is almost like coaching a mini team within a team. TE, RB, and WR coaches usually are saved for less experience guys getting into the business

• Wow

This sounds like revisionist history.

He took over a 3-9 team, went 6-7 his first year then 9-4.

There were a lot of people sold on him at that point.

Well Odom and Pittman are very good friends so he probably knew already he could get him. Also, he was considered the best Oline coach in the country for many years. Coaching, developing, and evaluating the Oline is very difficult and is almost like coaching a mini team within a team. TE, RB, and WR coaches usually are saved for less experience guys getting into the business

You'd make a good lawyer - you can make any argument that supports your opinion. A good OL coach, is a good OL coach. It's got nothing to do with being a good head coach. Neither does being a coordinator. AD's hire coordinators because they like their schemes and want them to run it at the school, not because they think it helps makes them get one step closer to being a head coach.

Being a coordinator does not help make someone a good head coach. They are only hired for perception and scheme. That's it. There is zero evidence that being a coordinator helps in any way to being a head coach - because being a head coach is unlike any other coaching position on the field.

Reactions: racetrac
There’s a segment of posters here that swore up and down that Leach would not be successful in the SEC. He’s doing it in the SEC West, which is the toughest division in college football and he’s doing it in Starkville, Mississippi of all places. Leach deserves respect. He’s earned it.

Leach had already proven to be a program changer at TTU. Beamer has proven he can work for his dad
well we are all gonna give him time whether we like it or not and not ever having the chance to do what leach has done actually doesnt change anything he said. not trying to sound like an ass, just stating the facts

Leach beat Tx am. Kentucky and Auburn this year. Let me know when we do that. So far we are 0-2 against those teams this year
do you honestly think leach would do that with our players? seriously?

I give Beamer a mulligan on this year. He was new. Never had to hire or evaluate staff before. Last year's recruiting class was out of his hands. There were no impact players in the portal we had a shot at. But this offseason he's got to earn his paycheck. He's putting together a fairly decent first class as head coach. It'll be a VERY tall task to convince any good players from the portal to come here. Any good player will have many other other more attractive options. But he's got to show something with staff evaluations. He's got his dad as a resource. He's got SOS. Talk to some of the greats about making tough staff decisions.

For those fans who only look at the W/L record, you are probably right. Leach was 4-7 in his first year at Miss State. HOWEVER, there were tons of positives from his team that we simply have not seen in the team Beamer/Satterfield puts on the field.

Speaking only to the offensive side of the ball:
1. They were #1 in the nation in passing completion % at .755
2. They were 8th in the nation in 4th down conversion % at .750 making 6/8
3. They were 16th in the nation in 3rd down conversion % at .470 making 62/132
4. They were 48th in the nation in red zone efficiency
5. They 59th in the nation in scoring offense at 29.5 PPG
6. They opened the season by beating the defending champion LSU Tigers.
7. They scored 51 points on Missouri
8. They won their bowl game vs Tulsa by a score of 26-24. Tulsa had a 6-3 record with wins over UCF, ECU, SMU, Navy, and Tulane.
9. Leach's first team was playing a 10 game SEC schedule due to Covid.

I'd say there was enough positives to keep fans excited about the future of their program under Mike Leach.

Even during Holtz's first year when we went 0-11, there were signs that we were going in the right direction. Other than the UF game, I haven't see too many of those positive signs just yet. And, as long as we have Satterfield as OC, I doubt anyone ever will.

So you don't count the Miss St ooc ranked bowl win, but I'm sure you're counting Beamers big wins over western Illinois tech, troy, and ECU

Beamer has as many SEC wins as Muschamp last year. lol

Mike Leach is one of the most innovative coaches in the history of college football and has won Everywhere he’s been . He’s a complete lunatic nutcase but he’s a hell of a football coach . Any comparison between Shane Beamer and Mike Leach is just insane . Leach won in Lubbock , , Spokane and now Starkville ?!?!! Just let that sink in . And yes I do believe he could win with the roster we have right now or at least be competitive .

Mike Leach is one of the most innovative coaches in the history of college football and has won Everywhere he’s been . He’s a complete lunatic nutcase but he’s a hell of a football coach . Any comparison between Shane Beamer and Mike Leach is just insane . Leach won in Lubbock , , Spokane and now Starkville ?!?!! Just let that sink in . And yes I do believe he could win with the roster we have right now or at least be competitive .
❓🤔

I understand where you're coming from starting this thread, and I agree with you. But all you've done is give all of the Beamer-haters another opportunity to disparage and belittle him. How many times do we need to hear "he has never even been a coordinator"?

I understand where you're coming from starting this thread, and I agree with you. But all you've done is give all of the Beamer-haters another opportunity to disparage and belittle him. How many times do we need to hear "he has never even been a coordinator"?

It's so pointless. Look, Beamer is going to be here a minimum of 3 more years unless he makes no changes and we slide into the abyss. He is going to make changes at the end of this year. My goodness we have a bunch of "fans" who love to hate on our coaches. I guess some just don't like him because they certainly haven't cut much slack.

As for the poster that said some of our wins this year were OOC games that last year's staff didn't have. I am not so sure Muschamp would have done any better.

Is he? Just going off rankings, I saw the class in the low 20's. Isn't that right around just about all recent classes, save last year's?

Yes For a new coach with no head coach experience, taking over a program that had a combined 6 wins in the previous 2 seasons and coming off one of the worst P5 recruiting classes in 2020, he's doing alright with our 2021 class. We have NOTHING to sell recruits at this point. There's no reason any recruit should want to play at the University of South Carolina.

Yes For a new coach with no head coach experience, taking over a program that had a combined 6 wins in the previous 2 seasons and coming off one of the worst P5 recruiting classes in 2020, he's doing alright with our 2021 class. We have NOTHING to sell recruits at this point. There's no reason any recruit should want to play at the University of South Carolina.

That has some good points. But are we saying it's a good accomplishment just to get back to the same classes that are annually brought in? I mean, we can argue that it's an accomplishment, but I'm not sure the selling point of "good recruiter" was used to describe someone who brings in similar classes to the last guys.

It also doesn't describe how talent will get upgraded with the same types of classes coming in that have always come in.

That has some good points. But are we saying it's a good accomplishment just to get back to the same classes that are annually brought in? I mean, we can argue that it's an accomplishment, but I'm not sure the selling point of "good recruiter" was used to describe someone who brings in similar classes to the last guys.

It also doesn't describe how talent will get upgraded with the same types of classes coming in that have always come in.

For sure, I'm not saying it's a great class. Not by any stretch. But, in his first year, he has us back in the neighborhood of our historic norm for recruiting. Considering this is his first year with absolutely nothing to sell recruits, I mark it down as an accomplishment. That said, I expect to see some improvement in recruiting classes going forward. But I think he's off to a fair enough start.

The much bigger issue for me is how he handles staff evaluations in the offseason.

For sure, I'm not saying it's a great class. Not by any stretch. But, in his first year, he has us back in the neighborhood of our historic norm for recruiting. Considering this is his first year with absolutely nothing to sell recruits, I mark it down as an accomplishment. That said, I expect to see some improvement in recruiting classes going forward. But I think he's off to a fair enough start.

The much bigger issue for me is how he handles staff evaluations in the offseason.

True.

I suppose I'm in the mindset (old school maybe) where a new coach generated excitement and a bump in recruiting.

It certainly can be argued that just getting back to the norm is an accomplishment in some circumstances.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT