ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Leach talking my language

And this is why players rightfully conclude that many (maybe most) fans don't care about the players as people. Bowl games are a reward for players. They love them. And its an opportunity for more players to get reps as the coaches assess needs and the portal/recruitment strategy. For players, December can be a great time. If you don't like the bowls, or don't care to watch more of our team, don't watch them. But the game isn't there for you.
I think I understand where you're coming from, but this is most definitely not the case. If fans didn't watch and spend thousands of dollars every year on tickets, then college football would not exist. It would be a club sport, where students play a sport truly because they love the game.

Reactions: king ward
Where is this info coming from? Jaylon went to Notre Dame which has stricter academic standards to play football than maybe every other Power 5 school except maybe for Stanford. He blew out his knee completely in a bowl game, with all of the lummoxes that play in the league Smith would be one of the last that would have a problem understanding a defensive scheme. Geez I mean Randy Gregory plays on that team.

This came after he was criticized for not recognizing play action and getting repeatedly burned for over committing on plays.

If you skip the bowl because you are afraid of getting hurt then what stops you from skipping the last game of the year, or the next to last or the last 6 games. I see that happening in the future. Hey we play a crappy team as our last game of the year. I'm going to sit that one out because I'm already being talked about and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that.

Reactions: Lurker123
If you skip the bowl because you are afraid of getting hurt then what stops you from skipping the last game of the year, or the next to last or the last 6 games. I see that happening in the future. Hey we play a crappy team as our last game of the year. I'm going to sit that one out because I'm already being talked about and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that.
Guys did that last year. That’s why bailing for the bowl game is an improvement for Beamer with this group of guys.

This came after he was criticized for not recognizing play action and getting repeatedly burned for over committing on plays.
As I thought, you took this statement out of context to fit your narrative a little bit. All the Cowboy defenders were complaining about Nolan's scheme and Smith was speaking as a team leader. Nolan was subsequently fired after last year. Smith was a captain on the defense until the moment that he was waived this year. They waived him because Keanu Neal (former safety) gave them a quicker linebacker on passing downs and the Cowboys could no longer justify paying Smith's higher end salary as a second string player. It really troubles me that you would question the guy's mental capacity over a statement as benign as that.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
As I thought, you took this statement out of context to fit your narrative a little bit. All the Cowboy defenders were complaining about Nolan's scheme and Smith was speaking as a team leader. Nolan was subsequently fired after last year. Smith was a captain on the defense until the moment that he was waived this year. They waived him because Keanu Neal (former safety) gave them a quicker linebacker on passing downs and the Cowboys could no longer justify paying Smith's higher end salary as a second string player. It really troubles me that you would question the guy's mental capacity over a statement as benign as that.
You’re right. Asking for a smaller playbook is the hallmark of strong football minds.

I think I understand where you're coming from, but this is most definitely not the case. If fans didn't watch and spend thousands of dollars every year on tickets, then college football would not exist. It would be a club sport, where students play a sport truly because they love the game.
Moreover, cites wouldn't host bowls without some hope of economic impact, leagues wouldn't align with bowls if there weren't the prospects of exposure and financial infusion, and television wouldn't carry them if they weren't profitable. These objectives and nothing else drive and preserve bowls . This is what they are "for", not player enjoyment or reward, although those are desirable byproducts.

That already happens.
You’re right. Asking for a smaller playbook is the hallmark of strong football minds.
If you ever played football, which I doubt with a comment like this, a smaller playbook does allow you to play faster. Coaches always simplify the playbook when a unit is struggling. That is the first thing you do. Like I said, to question a Notre Dame graduate and make him out to be some dumb jock because he was saying something on behalf of the team is troubling. Black guy can't ask for clarification or revision. That makes him dumb. Okay. Got it.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
That already happens.

If you ever played football, which I doubt with a comment like this, a smaller playbook does allow you to play faster. Coaches always simplify the playbook when a unit is struggling. That is the first thing you do. Like I said, to question a Notre Dame graduate and make him out to be some dumb jock because he was saying something on behalf of the team is troubling. Black guy can't ask for clarification or revision. That makes him dumb. Okay. Got it.
That’s an interesting take and that last part is an especially bizarre thing to throw in there…

I would have considered such an assumption from you typical, and containing all the fallacies usually associated with assumptions.
I'm beginning to wonder if it really was an assumption, based on your responses I feel like I'm close to the mark.

That already happens.

Right on cue, the race card flys out.

The answer to that question lies with the NFL. Until all 32 teams have the same issue with top players sitting out meaningless bowl games as some fans do, don't expect anything to change. The financial incentive is just not there.

The cue was when someone assumed a player didn't understand the playbook, what made them jump to that assumption.
It’s not an assumption when the players says the playbook is too complicated. Nothing else was said about it beyond that.

Right on cue, the race card flys out.
Come on Bubba. You know that was out of bounds and it actually had nothing to with the subject. I just don't tolerate people questioning a Black guy's mental capacity at the drop of a hat. I just don't. I don't tolerate foolishness just to go along and get along. Respect me and I will respect you . That is all I have ever asked.

Come on Bubba. You know that was out of bounds and it actually had nothing to with the subject. I just don't tolerate people questioning a Black guy's mental capacity at the drop of a hat. I just don't. I don't tolerate foolishness just to go along and get along. Respect me and I will respect you . That is all I have ever asked.

It's possible they questioned the mental capacity of a guy who just happened to be black too.

But I can't hold up ND players being a cut above regular football players when they had the star LB say the made up, fake internet girlfriend was the love of his life. What a moron.

Reactions: Dizzy01
It’s not an assumption when the players says the playbook is too complicated. Nothing else was said about it beyond that.
First, you attributed an assumption to him when he said the "Defense" could benefit by simplifying the playbook. He never said "He" had any problem understanding the playbook at all. Yet, you were quick to assume that. Next, your never questioned the ineptitude of Mike Nolan, a coach that got fired 11 years ago as a defensive coordinator and never to get another job until his buddy, Mike Mccormack got the head coaching job in Dallas. He only lasted one year and is the guy that rubbed hot sauce in his eyes during a press conference. Unfortunately, you tried to use something Jaylon Smith said to fit a narrative and it was just flat out wrong.

Last edited:
First, you attributed an assumption to him when he said the "Defense" could benefit by simplifying the playbook. He never said "He" had any problem understanding the playbook at all. Yet, you were quick to assume that. Next, your never questioned the ineptitude of Mike Nolan, a coach that got fired 11 years ago as a defensive coordinator never to get another job until his buddy, Mike Mccormack got the head coaching job in Dallas. He only lasted one year and is the guy that rubbed hot sauce in his eyes during a press conference. Unfortunately, you tried to use something Jaylon Smith to fit a narrative and it was just flat out wrong.
Nolan spent 12 years as a DC in the NFL and had top 15 defenses in 8 out of those 12 years. His last two years with Atlanta were bad but those teams had lots of injuries and lots of bad draft picks. I don’t recall any other guy prior to last year saying things were too complicated but maybe the guys before thought it was simplified.

I’m also not sure about your comment that he was fired 11 years ago to never get another job. He was the Falcons defensive coordinator through 2014 and left when Mike Smith was fired. He had been working as an LB coach after that. So that was neither 11 years ago nor was it not getting another job.

I get that you want to make it seem like the injury was the only thing that made his stay in the NFL of average length but that may just not be the main issue.

It wasn’t out of bounds and it was exactly what you did. No one commented on that aspect of the guy but you. If that’s the first place you chose to go then that is on you but don’t project your hang ups onto other people and then talk about respect when you’re making issues up.

A good coach will “dumb it down” if he has to. There comes a time when the question becomes “What are we capable of doing? Do I need ‘Joe’ on the field more than I need a bigger scheme package, or do I sit anybody that doesn’t understand the package because the package will get me further than those that don’t understand it? What do I value more - these players in a simpler system or lesser players who can understand and execute more complicated schemes?”

Why respect a racist asshole like you? I defy you to find a single post of Dizzy's where there is a hint of racism towards black people. Jaylon isn't dumb because he's black. He's just dumb and happens to be black. And that Notre Dame graduate nonsense...so what? CJ Spiller was supposedly an honor student and wound up with a 10 Wonderlic score. BTW, Dallas' coach is Mike McCarthy, not Mike Mccormack.

Coop, I do respect you. Your posts are usually very well thought out. But you also tend to introduce race where it isn't called for. Some folks are great athletically but don't grasp complex subjects well. Conversely, there are those who are brilliant but cant walk and chew gum. No one said he was too dumb to learn the system. He himself admitted it was complex, just as Cam did with the Patriots offense. Maybe he didn't put in the study time. Maybe he didn't ask for help or maybe he did and nobody coached him up. Maybe it was an ego thing or maybe the coaches had it out for him. Cam admitted he didn't put in the study time when he was with the Pats if I recall correctly. Said it was on him. The black player too dumb to be qb story has long been defeated. Patrick Mahomes runs probably the most complicated offense in football....flawlessly. If I were picking a new team, I would certainly want him to be my qb. Nowhere in the post prior to yours was race mentioned. I just don't think you can help yourself. You tend to see a racist in almost everything.

Coop, I do respect you. Your posts are usually very well thought out. But you also tend to introduce race where it isn't called for. Some folks are great athletically but don't grasp complex subjects well. Conversely, there are those who are brilliant but cant walk and chew gum. No one said he was too dumb to learn the system. He himself admitted it was complex, just as Cam did with the Patriots offense. Maybe he didn't put in the study time. Maybe he didn't ask for help or maybe he did and nobody coached him up. Maybe it was an ego thing or maybe the coaches had it out for him. Cam admitted he didn't put in the study time when he was with the Pats if I recall correctly. Said it was on him. The black player too dumb to be qb story has long been defeated. Patrick Mahomes runs probably the most complicated offense in football....flawlessly. If I were picking a new team, I would certainly want him to be my qb. Nowhere in the post prior to yours was race mentioned. I just don't think you can help yourself. You tend to see a racist in almost everything.
I purposely didn’t read your post for a day or so because I didn’t want to say something I didn’t mean. However, a lot of you guys just don’t get it. Just brcause someone addresses you regarding something race related every month or so doesn’t mean someone is always bringing up race. I have been on these message boards since around 2000. Every few months something like this comes up and I address it. That’s it. For the most part, I may not think the person is racist. In fact, Dizzy and I happen to agree a lot accept when it comes to Gamecock sports. The issue is some of you guys get too comfortable and start talking like you in your living room. Things tend to come out that would never be said if a Black guy was in the room and you had to face confrontation. All I doing is this instanced Is say, hey Black guy is in the room. ... and Bubba every time I do it, somebody confirms what I am talking about. “”.Racist A””hole. I didn’t address anybody like that. So take care my man. Although I may go back and forth with you and Dizzy, I like you both. For the guy jumping in calling me names, he can kick rocks.

I purposely didn’t read your post for a day or so because I didn’t want to say something I didn’t mean. However, a lot of you guys just don’t get it. Just brcause someone addresses you regarding something race related every month or so doesn’t mean someone is always bringing up race. I have been on these message boards since around 2000. Every few months something like this comes up and I address it. That’s it. For the most part, I may not think the person is racist. In fact, Dizzy and I happen to agree a lot accept when it comes to Gamecock sports. The issue is some of you guys get too comfortable and start talking like you in your living room. Things tend to come out that would never be said if a Black guy was in the room and you had to face confrontation. All I doing is this instanced Is say, hey Black guy is in the room. ... and Bubba every time I do it, somebody confirms what I am talking about. “”.Racist A””hole. I didn’t address anybody like that. So take care my man. Although I may go back and forth with you and Dizzy, I like you both. For the guy jumping in calling me names, he can kick rocks.
The only thing confirmed in this thread is what I said about you. You're nothing but a discount Jussie Smollett, then you want to gaslight others about your own racism. You bleat about respect, while at the same time calling somebody a racist for absolutely no reason other than they said something negative about a black guy. Newsflash: every negative comment about a black guy doesn't = racism. Again, has the poster you called a racist ever exhibited any evidence of that in his posting history? Of course he hasn't. So what we're really left with is, you think a black person's skin color should shield them from criticism. And you laughably call someone else a racist. What a clown.

Just a general comment about how I approach adcoop’s posts:
A thinking Gamecock and one of us
Does see things from a perspective and will mention it
I just think of acoop as an acquaintance who always does that (crazy uncle?)
I used to tell a lot of puns to the discomfort of my friends
Sometimes we can know it is coming and expect that response but carry on because they are a friend

Just a general comment about how I approach adcoop’s posts:
A thinking Gamecock and one of us
Does see things from a perspective and will mention it
I just think of acoop as an acquaintance who always does that (crazy uncle?)
I used to tell a lot of puns to the discomfort of my friends
Sometimes we can know it is coming and expect that response but carry on because they are a friend
Well played. I just see things from a different perspective from a lot of you and a lot of my friends have left these message boards for some of the things that have been said. I won't address the guy that posted above you because he has been on the board two seconds and already throwing out "racist this and racist that". First of all, questioning a guy about his intentions is not calling someone racist. If that dude that is calling me racist had any clue, he would know that I have agreed with Dizzy a lot in the past. Personally, I think Dizzy was trying too hard to denigrate a guy (Jaylon Smith) to make the point that players should play in bowl games. I still feel that way no matter what some of you guys think. However, I will probably be on here in two days agreeing with Dizzy about something else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT