ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Leach talking my language

Players should not care what fans think because many (maybe most) fans really don't care about players beyond what they can do to thrill us on the field. A player opting out is an opportunity for another player. More reps in practice and more game time.

Their agent is making a business decision.

The agent works for the player. The player is making a business decision.

Coaches up and leave all the time...for more money.

It is all about money. Players do the most and get the least. Finally got some NIL money after years of fighting for it.

It's a business, whether we like it or not.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Hypocrite.

It was early December of 1999 when Bob Stoops bounded into the locker room, pumped that in his first year as Oklahoma's coach the Sooners had finished 7-4 and earned a trip to the Independence Bowl. He was ready to go to work, but his players weren't. They were shaken because their offensive coordinator, Mike Leach, had just been named the head coach of Texas Tech.

Stoops gathered his players and told them the facts of coaching life.

''You've had coaches come and go around here the last few years because you've played so poorly,'' Stoops told his team. ''Now you've played so well that you got one a job in just one year. Be happy for him and you.''

Name the last superstar that got hurt in a bowl game and was never heard from again. Marcus wasn’t hurt in a bowl game.
Jaylon Smith. Luckily got drafted by the Cowboys in the second round and had a couple good seasons. However, he was never the same player after the injury.

I'll say this. Some of you have never grew up in poverty and it really shows. Going to the NFL is basically like hitting the lottery, and they don't want to mess up the opportunity for that check to help out their family. Who am I to judge and call them selfish for that.
This really is the nexus of the argument. If the universities really wanted to end this phenomenon they would issue game checks for games played. Now, we all know this will never happen because that would take money from the executives pockets who don't offer anything to the game played on the field. Our fans would rather give the players nothing financially but stuff the pockets of corporate America. Fkn lemmings they are.

Reactions: GCFan86
I'll say this. Some of you have never grew up in poverty and it really shows. Going to the NFL is basically like hitting the lottery, and they don't want to mess up the opportunity for that check to help out their family. Who am I to judge and call them selfish for that.
For decades, guys that grew up in poverty didn't skip bowl games. You think Christian McCaffrey grew up in poverty?

Reactions: will110
For decades, guys that grew up in poverty didn't skip bowl games. You think Christian McCaffrey grew up in poverty?
That's because for years, players dsrung to look out for themselves had it held against them. Nowadays, the "student-athlete" scam has been exposed and rightfully ridiculed and has been struck down by a bipartisan SCOTUS ruling.

That's because for years, players dsrung to look out for themselves had it held against them. Nowadays, the "student-athlete" scam has been exposed and rightfully ridiculed and has been struck down by a bipartisan SCOTUS ruling.
20 years ago, the NFL still wouldn't have cared, foolish SCOTUS decision notwithstanding.

This sort of thing is also the reason why I laugh when some people say that a loss bothers the players and coaches more than anyone. I think, quite often, that is not the case. You think some player from southern California that comes across the country to play for Alabama because he thinks it sets him up better for a pro career really cares more about Alabama football than Clyde from Dothan that has invested 60 years of his life as a Tide fan? You think Ukelele really cares more about tater football than Lester from Rock Hill that has been in the same seat in dirt valley since before he could talk? You think Auburn mattered more to Cam than the fan that loves that school more than his own mama and would follow them anywhere on Earth?

Anyway, I'm not even mad at guys like Deebo. I love seeing him do well, and I hope he talks up our program. When he sat out and when other guys do it, it doesn't make them worse than Hitler. It is a bit selfish, though.

Fans have the wrong mindset about these lower tiered bowls. They aren’t so much a culmination of the current season, but rather a glorified exhibition in preparation for the season to come. And other than the playoff, and a few select other bowls, they are all just lower tiered bowls.

If a player wants to play in the car quest donkey burrito bowl, great. If they want to prep for the combine and draft process, sign with an agent, etc., that’s fine too.

I guess George Rogers should have taken a pass at the Gator Bowl in 1980 and the same for Sterling Sharpe take a pass on the 1987 Gator Bowl...

Yeah. I should have skipped my senior year of classes and just gone straight to management. Prime to make the big bucks.

20 years ago, the NFL still wouldn't have cared, foolish SCOTUS decision notwithstanding.

This sort of thing is also the reason why I laugh when some people say that a loss bothers the players and coaches more than anyone. I think, quite often, that is not the case. You think some player from southern California that comes across the country to play for Alabama because he thinks it sets him up better for a pro career really cares more about Alabama football than Clyde from Dothan that has invested 60 years of his life as a Tide fan? You think Ukelele really cares more about tater football than Lester from Rock Hill that has been in the same seat in dirt valley since before he could talk? You think Auburn mattered more to Cam than the fan that loves that school more than his own mama and would follow them anywhere on Earth?

Anyway, I'm not even mad at guys like Deebo. I love seeing him do well, and I hope he talks up our program. When he sat out and when other guys do it, it doesn't make them worse than Hitler. It is a bit selfish, though.
Ok. Based on this post, I don't see where we disagree all that much. As for players fearing injury in bowl games, it's been documented in posts 15 and 17 in this thread.

Two incontrovertible premises: (1) You can get injured playing in any football game. (2) Either you're on the team, or you aren't.
Please you're putting expectations on players that you wouldn't entertain if you were in the player's shoes. Completely hypocritical.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
And college football is an internship.

Might bruise these coaches’ massive egos, but a player with designs on being a top 150 pick, and starting their professional careers, aren’t going to be stressing about ending their internship a little early. Especially since their next employer doesn’t care if they call it a career at the college level before the dollar tree bowl.
Right. Should just do away with bowl games.

The life changing money argument went away with NIL. Ukelele certainly earned enough to buy a high dollar insurance policy. Was he smart enough to do that? I dont know. Todays “me first “ attitude has pervaded society. And we are worse for it

Always good for a quote, but the guy thinks he is a pirate - not someone I’d lean on for guidance in any situation (unless I’m trying to run the air raid offense).

Bowl games are just money grabs for literally everyone except the players. The organizers get a check, the city gets an influx of people that wouldn't normally be there, the coaches and AD's all get bonuses, the title sponsor gets to throw money around for a week (which works as advertising and a tax deduction for having a party), etc., etc.

Who cares if a kid would rather be concentrating on the next stage of his life (where he can make his own money)? Bowl games are meaningless and just exhibition games that technically count on a team's record.

Last edited:
Right. Should just do away with bowl games.
And this is why players rightfully conclude that many (maybe most) fans don't care about the players as people. Bowl games are a reward for players. They love them. And its an opportunity for more players to get reps as the coaches assess needs and the portal/recruitment strategy. For players, December can be a great time. If you don't like the bowls, or don't care to watch more of our team, don't watch them. But the game isn't there for you.

With the exception of the CFP, bowl games are exhibition games. They mean nothing except to mediocre coaches like Mike Leach. You know how Venables needed a "get back" coach to hold his belt to keep him from going on the field during games? Leach needs a "shut up" coach to keep him from saying anything until he's won a conference championship. Considering that he's never won a conference championship and TULANE and GEORGIA TECH have won more recent SEC titles than Mississippi State (1941), we'd all be better off never hearing from him again.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
Jaylon Smith. Luckily got drafted by the Cowboys in the second round and had a couple good seasons. However, he was never the same player after the injury.
I’m pretty sure he got about 7 million dollars from the Cowboys and made the pro bowl in 2019. He essentially got in his 4 years in the NFL which is more than most and got cut because he couldn’t grasp the defensive schemes. He publicly came out and said that the Dallas defensive scheme was too complicated to keep up with. That’s not going to win you any favors especially when the guy the team just hired is known for his complex schemes that depend on the LB.

The life changing money argument went away with NIL. Ukelele certainly earned enough to buy a high dollar insurance policy. Was he smart enough to do that? I dont know. Todays “me first “ attitude has pervaded society. And we are worse for it
But how many players have made life-changing money like DJU through NIL? To the best of my knowledge, he's an exception. And based on what Dr. Pepper got out of that deal, there's a good chance a lot of businesses and boosters are using him as a cautionary tale

The same guy saying this has skipped bowls when it suited him. I hope everyone praising this grandstanding realizes that

I don't mind sure fire 1st round picks opting out to protect themselves, but I shake my head when I think of the Carolina players in recent memories who turned pro after their JR year only to go in the late rounds or undrafted and not have much of an NFL career.

Kelsey Quarles, Victor Hampton, Emanuel Cook, Ace Sanders, Clifton Geathers, ect

Which bowls did he skip?
It was early December of 1999 when Bob Stoops bounded into the locker room, pumped that in his first year as Oklahoma's coach the Sooners had finished 7-4 and earned a trip to the Independence Bowl. He was ready to go to work, but his players weren't. They were shaken because their offensive coordinator, Mike Leach, had just been named the head coach of Texas Tech.

''You've had coaches come and go around here the last few years because you've played so poorly,'' Stoops told his team. ''Now you've played so well that you got one a job in just one year. Be happy for him and you.''

Reactions: alphazeta
And this is why players rightfully conclude that many (maybe most) fans don't care about the players as people. Bowl games are a reward for players. They love them. And its an opportunity for more players to get reps as the coaches assess needs and the portal/recruitment strategy. For players, December can be a great time. If you don't like the bowls, or don't care to watch more of our team, don't watch them. But the game isn't there for you.
Relax big dawg. I was being facetious. I love bowl games and love for players to battle one more time with their team. I was in Charlotte last time and will be there again!

I’m pretty sure he got about 7 million dollars from the Cowboys and made the pro bowl in 2019. He essentially got in his 4 years in the NFL which is more than most and got cut because he couldn’t grasp the defensive schemes. He publicly came out and said that the Dallas defensive scheme was too complicated to keep up with. That’s not going to win you any favors especially when the guy the team just hired is known for his complex schemes that depend on the LB.
He did, but he was a superstar player that was set to be a top 5 pick. He got some money, but not 1st round money and is now no longer in the league because that knee just has not been able to hold up. We are obviously getting different information because the word I have gotten over the past two years is that he is just too slow to play on passing downs. I don't know why fans argue so hard about this. Those guys don't owe us anything except to play hard as long as they are here. This even goes on at the high school level. No one gets mad when a kid quits his High School basketball team after he makes his commitment in football. It's a business and these guys deserve to do what is best for them. Just like coaches and administrators in the sport do.

He did, but he was a superstar player that was set to be a top 5 pick. He got some money, but not 1st round money and is now no longer in the league because that knee just has not been able to hold up. We are obviously getting different information because the word I have gotten over the past two years is that he is just too slow to play on passing downs. I don't know why fans argue so hard about this. Those guys don't owe us anything except to play hard as long as they are here. This even goes on at the high school level. No one gets mad when a kid quits his High School basketball team after he makes his commitment in football. It's a business and these guys deserve to do what is best for them. Just like coaches and administrators in the sport do.
It goes both ways. If they want to quit then fine but it doesn’t change that they quit and people can still call them a quitter. Just because you think something is justified doesn’t make it different. For every one guy who takes a bit of a draft hit there are more that don’t even get drafted and quit on their last shot to see the field with their teammates.

Does that really constitute skipping a bowl?

If the players had signed with an NFL team prior to the bowl, and then didn't play in it, I would say that's equivalent.

Reactions: will110
Does that really constitute skipping a bowl?

If the players had signed with an NFL team prior to the bowl, and then didn't play in it, I would say that's equivalent.
Yes, it constitutes quitting on your team. Next question.

Where is this info coming from? Jaylon went to Notre Dame which has stricter academic standards to play football than maybe every other Power 5 school except maybe for Stanford. He blew out his knee completely in a bowl game, with all of the lummoxes that play in the league Smith would be one of the last that would have a problem understanding a defensive scheme. Geez I mean Randy Gregory plays on that team.

Two injuries out of how many thousand Bowl players? They have more risk of career-ending injury just driving to combine workouts.
The question was asked who had been affected by playing in the bowl games. Not only did I provide a factual response, but that article also mentioned several others.

And it's not thousands of players that were risking their futures. Less than 5% of college players ever make it to the NFL and far fewer than that have a chance at being drafted in the first or second round. Typically (though not always), those are the ones skipping the bowls. A relatively low number overall.

It goes both ways. If they want to quit then fine but it doesn’t change that they quit and people can still call them a quitter. Just because you think something is justified doesn’t make it different. For every one guy who takes a bit of a draft hit there are more that don’t even get drafted and quit on their last shot to see the field with their teammates.
That's fine. However, random butt-hurt fans don't change anything. OU fans are mad at Lincoln Riley. Think he cares. Is Lincoln Riley a quitter. All successful people quit something for a better opportunity. If someone feels jilted and wants to call them a quitter. Have at it. Wasted air in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT