ADVERTISEMENT

Mississippi State fires Joe Moorhead

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
14-12 in two seasons. Easy to let a coach go when your AD isn't dumb enough to give him an expensive buyout for mediocre results. Funny, I think that's about what chump's record was when he got the buyout.

Mississippi St. Is more serious about winning than we are, let that sink in!

Interesting to see if they "have a guy" and their AD is prepared and has a real plan
They are rumored to be interested in Billy Napier. Other names are Bill Clark (UAB), Tony Elliott, Luke Fickell and Willie Fritz (Tulane) I don't think Dave Aranda would leave LSU for this job, and I don't think there is serious interest in Gene Chizik.

Napier is a pretty good coach, I remember when Dabo threw him under the bus after the Taters lost to USF and finished that season 6-7. Billy proceeded to move on to Bama and then Arizona State. I still think it would more interesting to see Willie Fritz from Tulane or Jeff Monken from Army come and see if the triple could work in the SEC. MSU needs to do something to differentiate itself, they aren't going to win any recruiting battles now that Ole Miss has given up any pretense of ethics and gone all in with Lane and D.J. Durkin.

Two things you look for in hiring...prior success AND fit. This was a fit problem. Schools like Miss St and SC just keep repeating the same mistakes until they get a Spurrier or Mullen ..in-between is a challenge....

Napier is a pretty good coach, I remember when Dabo threw him under the bus after the Taters lost to USF and finished that season 6-7. Billy proceeded to move on to Bama and then Arizona State. I still think it would more interesting to see Willie Fritz from Tulane or Jeff Monken from Army come and see if the triple could work in the SEC. MSU needs to do something to differentiate itself, they aren't going to win any recruiting battles now that Ole Miss has given up any pretense of ethics and gone all in with Lane and D.J. Durkin.

Napier was caught doing the wrong things recruiting talent from Rock Hill, SC. Brad Lawing told the story this season in one of Kinrey's Fade In podcasts.

Our coaches sent the evidence to Clemson"s AD and threatened to go to the NCAA if Phillip's did nothing about it. They never heard much from Napier in recruiting after that.

Wish they would have gone to the NCAA anyway.

14-12 in two seasons. Easy to let a coach go when your AD isn't dumb enough to give him an expensive buyout for mediocre results. Funny, I think that's about what chump's record was when he got the buyout.

Had a lot more to do with several off-the-field issues and the fact that the "Yankee" didn't get along with the powers that be at MSU.

Napier is who they seem to be going after.

At least Miss St has the stones to pull the trigger when they realize that the hire wasnt a good fit. Some schools just tell their fan base that the stability of mediocrity is the right track to pursue
From a MSU poster: Had nothing to do with on-the-field performance. MSU's all time winning percentage [49%] is only higher than Vandy in the SEC, and have 1 conference title (1941). Moorhead won the second most games (14) in his first 2 years in program history and he was one of only 2 coaches to make bowl games in both of first 2 years. Mississippi State has only made 23 bowl games in program history (exact same as us). The most games Mullen won was 10 in a year.

Reactions: DarkCock
Miss state has been mediocre their whole history. So please spare us the token. "They dont expect mediocrity" post.
I wouldn’t beat our chest too much. They have just as many losses as we do (585) and their bowl record is significantly better. They had the fortitude to make a change in year 2 instead of the “can’t fire anyone, he needs time, even if he runs our program into the ground he still needs time!” excuse.

From a MSU poster: Had nothing to do with on-the-field performance. MSU's all time winning percentage [49%] is only higher than Vandy in the SEC, and have 1 conference title (1941). Moorhead won the second most games (14) in his first 2 years in program history and he was one of only 2 coaches to make bowl games in both of first 2 years. Mississippi State has only made 23 bowl games in program history (exact same as us). The most games Mullen won was 10 in a year.
Yeah but look at their bowl record compared to ours. We don’t have much cause to look down on them at all. At least they’re trying to improve, we give raises to guys that go 6-7.

Yeah but look at their bowl record compared to ours. We don’t have much cause to look down on them at all. At least they’re trying to improve, we give raises to guys that go 6-7.
We didn't give a raise to a guy who went 6-7 either. What the hell does bowls have to do with it?.....those occurred over a number of coaches. This was not a firing because of on-the-field issues, period.

We are truly are just a notch above Vandy. The fan support of a UGA with the administration of a Vanderbilt. Oh and the fan mindset of Vandy.

As long as our fans have parking spaces at/near the stadium where everybody can see them and the recent opportunity to get liquored up, they will stay obedient to the Administration's incompetent management of AD affairs.

Oh, 'Brave Old Gamecock World' ever onward and downward.*

*apologies to Aldous Huxley.

Last edited:
We didn't give a raise to a guy who went 6-7 either. What the hell does bowls have to do with it?.....those occurred over a number of coaches. This was not a firing because of on-the-field issues, period.
Our bowl wins occurred over a number of coaches too. It’s still a fact that their bowl record is better than ours. We are told how important bowls are all the time, so why dismiss it now? The simple fact is we aren’t but maybe a step above Miss State and that may not last for much longer.

Our bowl wins occurred over a number of coaches too. It’s still a fact that their bowl record is better than ours. We are told how important bowls are all the time, so why dismiss it now? The simple fact is we aren’t but maybe a step above Miss State and that may not last for much longer.
Bowls, at least non NYD bowls and/or CFP games, aren't important now because you can be at or below .500 and still get an invite.

This had nothing to do with them "accepting mediocrity" as their performance was not the issue. This had a whole lot more with him not getting along with the power brokers at MSU and a few "off-the-field issues" that aren't being outwardly discussed on the MSU insiders forum.

Bowls, at least non NYD bowls and/or CFP games, aren't important now because you can be at or below .500 and still get an invite.
I’m not a proponent for so many bowl games, I can see both sides of the coin for and against.

Reactions: Brace1
This had nothing to do with them "accepting mediocrity" as their performance was not the issue. This had a whole lot more with him not getting along with the power brokers at MSU and a few "off-the-field issues" that aren't being outwardly discussed on the MSU insiders forum.
Well the opposite has been our problem, the hires are “who will get along with the powers that be at USC”, instead of the most qualified candidate. We’ve had several off field issues under Muschamp (DV arrests, couple DUI’s) but because he’s Ray’s friend, he’s got a job for life here.....or at least as long as Ray is here. I think staffs getting along is overrated anyways. You’re being paid to do a job, so what if you aren’t friends with everyone. I’ll gladly work with guys I hate for a couple million a year, as long as I’m winning.

Well the opposite has been our problem, the hires are “who will get along with the powers that be at USC”, instead of the most qualified candidate. We’ve had several off field issues under Muschamp (DV arrests, couple DUI’s) but because he’s Ray’s friend, he’s got a job for life here.....or at least as long as Ray is here. I think staffs getting along is overrated anyways. You’re being paid to do a job, so what if you aren’t friends with everyone. I’ll gladly work with guys I hate for a couple million a year, as long as I’m winning.
Yeah, that's worked out well for us in the past:

I get that it's still "venting season" but it doesn't really seem like the same situation. Morrhead inherited a 9-4 team and went 14-12.

Reactions: Lakecock1
A cultural misfit can't make it at a place like that unless he wins big.

A cultural misfit can't make it at a place like that unless he wins big.
Just saw their coaching hot board....this place would be in total meltdown. They want something southern, preferably from Mississippi....that limits choices greatly. Joe Judge was the most interesting name on the board.

They may be serious by firing their coaches every few years but let me ask you question? How's it working out for them?

Reactions: Lowcountry1
Just saw their coaching hot board....this place would be in total meltdown. They want something southern, preferably from Mississippi....that limits choices greatly. Joe Judge was the most interesting name on the board.
It sort of bespeaks how great Dietzel was to come out of Ohio and do so well at LSU. He never should have left there. He left a team which, in his own words, "I couldn't coach bad enough for them to lose."

I totally agree. But we all know had Muschamp eeked out another 2 wins and gone to another Charmin Toilet Paper Bowl, Ray and many of our fans would be popping champagne corks and lauding our supposed "progress" as if finishing in the top 80 in the nation is some noteworthy accomplishment.

I totally agree. But we all know had Muschamp eeked out another 2 wins and gone to another Charmin Toilet Paper Bowl, Ray and many of our fans would be popping champagne corks and lauding our supposed "progress" as if finishing in the top 80 in the nation is some noteworthy accomplishment.
We have goals in low places.

We have goals in low places.
I have come to believe that Tanner is going to stand by Muschamp until he himself is gone. I think he is in that camp which believes football here will only thrive with a long term coach. That rose to the top for him after he could not get a successful head coach. So, for all our complaining about accepting mediocrity, Muschamp is going nowhere. This is a Jason Garrett scenario. We have defined success down. Hope it ends better.

Napier was caught doing the wrong things recruiting talent from Rock Hill, SC. Brad Lawing told the story this season in one of Kinrey's Fade In podcasts.

Our coaches sent the evidence to Clemson"s AD and threatened to go to the NCAA if Phillip's did nothing about it. They never heard much from Napier in recruiting after that.

Wish they would have gone to the NCAA anyway.

Is not the blackmail you accuse the USC coaches of far worse than a simple recruiting violation?

It sort of bespeaks how great Dietzel was to come out of Ohio and do so well at LSU. He never should have left there. He left a team which, in his own words, "I couldn't coach bad enough for them to lose."

He couldn’t turn down the chance to bring Army back to prominence. His autobiography is a good read.

Miss St trying to keep up. LSU is the alpha dog. Ole Miss has Kiffin and will be better. A&M will be good although if Texas gets better it could hurt them. Bama is Bama. Auburn will continue to improve with Morris. The ol leghumpers on the west side will be eating dust if they are not careful.

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT