ADVERTISEMENT

MLB draft ensures teams like ours

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
can't capitalize on title wins. Thus keeping college baseball an even playing field. If you win back to back titles and almost a third in football you can get your pick of who you want. In baseball not so much.

Originally posted by Judson1:
can't capitalize on title wins. Thus keeping college baseball an even playing field. If you win back to back titles and almost a third in football you can get your pick of who you want. In baseball not so much.
Not a good enough excuse for our hitting. No way that a crap program like Missouri should beat ours in baseball. All 6 of our losses are due to piss-poor hitting, and the draft has nothing to do with that. It's recruiting and coaching.

Beck...... I'm gonna disagree on one thing and that's the recruiting..... It's slim pickins' when the MLB is waving cash in these kids faces, and we still continue to have top 5 classes with who you can sign. But coaching, I can't disagree.

Originally posted by cj_mc7:
Beck...... I'm gonna disagree on one thing and that's the recruiting..... It's slim pickins' when the MLB is waving cash in these kids faces, and we still continue to have top 5 classes with who you can sign. But coaching, I can't disagree.
No way. You do what Florida, Vandy, and others have done. You recruit right behind the imaginary MLB draft line. Get the best available COLLEGE athletes. You can recruit the others, but don't count on them. 99% of the time, they're gone.

I agree and disagree. We would no doubt have been the recipients of the best hitting prospects out there. MLB puts the clamps on that. Been waiting on another Omaha type team and this one isnt it either. It is odd that we haven't had a first round type pitcher in forever yet teams like Arky, Vandy, and Virginia get them way too often.

I usually don't post critical comments immediately after a loss, but related to this discussion, didn't we have the #3 ranked recruiting class in the nation last year, according to Baseball America? Sort of suggests that our hitting problems are more due to coaching vs. talent/recruiting. Still got time to turn it around, but we're 1/3 of the way through the season, and need to at least find some way to generate more offense.

You may think Mizzou is a "crappy" team, but from what I have seen the past two days they sure look like a pretty good team this year. Good, not great, hitting & got to give them credit their pitching has been down right nasty. I tip my cap to them. We had or chances to take both of these just couldn't get it done.

Vandy and UVA can get those pitchers because they sell the value of a Vandy and UVA degree.

Arkansas? Well, they get lucky ever so often but they don't normally have that type of pitching either.

Originally posted by Judson1:
I agree and disagree. We would no doubt have been the recipients of the best hitting prospects out there. MLB puts the clamps on that. Been waiting on another Omaha type team and this one isnt it either. It is odd that we haven't had a first round type pitcher in forever yet teams like Arky, Vandy, and Virginia get them way too often.

They aren't crappy.

I think he might be referring to their level of fan support- and their field conditions being pretty terrible- yet they are rolling this year.

How a team like that gets great talent to come there is hard to reconcile considering lousy fan support and a field- at this time of the year- that is terrible.

Originally posted by dallascock:
You may think Mizzou is a "crappy" team, but from what I have seen the past two days they sure look like a pretty good team this year. Good, not great, hitting & got to give them credit their pitching has been down right nasty. I tip my cap to them. We had or chances to take both of these just couldn't get it done.

I don't know, & I certainly may have misinterpreted his comments, but when I read, "Not a good enough excuse for our hitting. No way that a crap program like Missouri should beat ours in baseball. All 6 of our losses are due to piss-poor hitting," it certainly doesn't seem as if he is referring to facilities or fan support.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT