ADVERTISEMENT

More concerned over Recruiting than Coordinators

sand4893

Nov 5, 2019
For the first time in a long time, USC won’t have a marquee receiver. They’re already questions surrounding the QB. Their two most productive RBs are no longer there. But the talk seems to be about who’s the next offense coordinator. Even if they bring in a great coordinator, he’s going to have a major personnel issue. Years of mediocre recruiting got USC where their at. That ultimately needs to be addressed.

Many of the marquee receivers we had in recent years were not necessarily great WRs when we got them. They were great athletes... We had great coaches developing former QBs, basketball stars, track stars and raw athletes into pro caliber WRs. Mclendon has been an absolute disaster as a WR coach. The talent we have brought in is fine- Vann, Shi, Ortre... under our previous staff I suspect would be performing at a much higher level. Vann was leading the SEC IN DROPS before he got injured.. he was our 3rd/4th option at wideout and still had dropped enough passes to lead the conference in drops?!? Shi dropped a ton of balls, even Edwards did.. and once we started getting deep into the DC we saw what a poorly coached mess of guys we have behind them. Nobody seems to have a clue how to run a route, catching is an absolute struggle, no speed... Whoever has been coaching that position should have been the first out the door! Instead it seems we just demoted him from OC to WR coach exclusively? That is not going to turn out well. Doesn’t matter who is calling the plays if the WRs can’t catch!

well he is bringing in a 5 star running back to help and is also bringing in 5 wideouts as well... got a chance with Burch... all that coming off a 4and 8 season!!! I think recruiting is going pretty well... imo

Has our recruiting over the last 4 years been something special? If it was, it didn't yield special results on the field. I think our best plan for improving recruiting is to bring in coaches who can do something with the talent they have. Over-achieve with mediocre talent and you will eventually draw in top talent.

well he is bringing in a 5 star running back to help and is also bringing in 5 wideouts as well... got a chance with Burch... all that coming off a 4and 8 season!!! I think recruiting is going pretty well... imo

I beg to differ. They had 2 QBs playing receiver and the players they brought in to play receiver wasn't playing meanwhile the top guys kept getting hurt and dropping routine passes...that's miserable recruitment my friend. SC has a storied history of receivers even if we talk Spurrier era. Who has Muschamp brought in at receiver so far? Edwards, don't count because he was already committed to the Gamecocks. I'm curious as to your answer.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I beg to differ. They had 2 QBs playing receiver and the players they brought in to play receiver wasn't playing meanwhile the top guys kept getting hurt and dropping routine passes...that's miserable recruitment my friend. SC has a storied history of receivers even if we talk Spurrier era. Who has Muschamp brought in at receiver so far? Edwards, don't count because he was already committed to the Gamecocks. I'm curious as to your answer.
how do u know its the players and not the coaches?? the coaches are the ones bringing them in my friend!!

won't anyone be able to answer that until they put on pads!!! even the guy who recruited them!!!

Speaking of recruiting, is there a reason we didn't recruit Hyatt from Dutch Fork? He's looked special the few times he's gotten the ball for them today.

hey man... after a 4&8 season to potentially land 2 5 stars... never said I knew the wideouts will be great... just that they were 5 recruited...recruiting could be way worse... again... imo

For the first time in a long time, USC won’t have a marquee receiver. They’re already questions surrounding the QB. Their two most productive RBs are no longer there. But the talk seems to be about who’s the next offense coordinator. Even if they bring in a great coordinator, he’s going to have a major personnel issue. Years of mediocre recruiting got USC where their at. That ultimately needs to be addressed.
We had freshman wide receivers that are really good and we are really excited about....Stewart and the kid from Memphis are 2.

What’s up with the walk on Adkins? I thought he looked pretty solid on his limited opportunities, though I didn’t watch the Clemson game if anything may have happened there. We could certainly use a possession receiver. Ie, catch the ball.

They are not unrelated. If we hired a guy who runs the option, no top receivers would line up to come here.

Coaching is a necessity. And we’ve had our share of bad ones. But it’s hard for me to believe they almost entirely have been bad. The number one problem has been and will continue to be lack of depth. The teams we strive to beat have 4 or 5 guys like our starters.
But I think the way it will have to be done here is to get a great coach who slowly stockpiles them. At this school great coaching must build depth slowly. I wish Spurrier would’ve been 10 years younger!

Reactions: Cocky704
Coaching is a necessity. And we’ve had our share of bad ones. But it’s hard for me to believe they almost entirely have been bad. The number one problem has been and will continue to be lack of depth. The teams we strive to beat have 4 or 5 guys like our starters.
But I think the way it will have to be done here is to get a great coach who slowly stockpiles them. At this school great coaching must build depth slowly. I wish Spurrier would’ve been 10 years younger!

Agree. If Muschamp does not produce next year, get a Josh Heupel or Eliah Drinkwitz, who are proving they can do more, with less, doing a good job recruiting and are young and offensive-minded.

What's your point?

I think it's time we stopped worrying so much about recruiting 4 and 5 star players. (Burch, Grimes, etc) Bring in guys who can evaluate, coach and develop . The players will come.

a select few players like himself are the exception not the norm.
When he signs you can rewrite this post. Hasn't happened yet. Except for death and taxes there are no sure bets. If we hire a coach that doesn't emphasize the run, why would he come here?

I'd be fine getting Appalachain State level talent if our coach could get them to play as well as they do now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT