ADVERTISEMENT

Most disappointed in a gamecock football performance you've ever been

Kentucky blackout game last year. Dirty ice, toilets overflowing, running out of water, playing like crap on the field and losing in the end. Terrible day all the way around.

Many others as well. That is part of our claim to fame. We show up even though are team is mediocre.

Reactions: Pole
Kentucky blackout game last year. Dirty ice, toilets overflowing, running out of water, playing like crap on the field and losing in the end. Terrible day all the way around.

Many others as well. That is part of our claim to fame. We show up even though are team is mediocre.

Dont forget the flamethrowers... they all didnt work...

The Tennessee game in 2014!! We were the better team and should have won. That game cost us the SEC east and I truly believe we would have won that game against Auburn in the SEC Championship. Winning that game would have then placed us in the National Championship with only 1 loss playing against Florida State.

That was our year and we blew it!!!

Navy '84. Nothing else comes close. Best shot we've ever had at winning it all. Away games at LSU in '12 and UT in '13 come close.

A lot of consideration was given to 63-17 but by that point our team was emotionally done, so not as surprised as I was 2 years earlier in 2001 when Florida went 54-17 on us at WB, we were a top 15 team playing at home and I was thinking upset or at worst we keep it close, my father and I have talked about that game many times over the years and we both agreed that Carolina was shown the difference between good and elite, we played good that night, they were just better. I still don't understand how they lost at home to UcheaT at the end of the year.
We should have already gotten the message about good vs. elite after the @$$-drilling FSU put on us in Columbia in 1988. 56-0, was it? We were ranked and coming off a good road win at N.C. State. FSU emptied our stadium on national TV - ESPN kept showing the empty stands. We've had many debacles, but that was as bad as any.

The simple answer is there are too many moments to list. This team has disappointed us so many times through the decades.

It's awfully hard to argue with the '84 Navy game. Never has so much been on the line to come up so short against a pretty sorry team.

63-17, the Citadel losses, the blackout game against Florida, all worthy contenders as well.

Personally, the 2010 game at Kentucky stands out. We were the darling of college football after beating #1 and defending national champions Alabama. But the 2nd half of that Kentucky game the following week brought us crashing back down to earth with a thud.
I wince every time I think about it. You just caused me to wince.

34-0 loss at GT in 1988...
Still SMH about that one..
To me, that was the bellwether indication that the Morrison era was ending. I just didn't expect it to end the way it did. We lost four games that year and we were awful in all of them. The worst was the one I referred to in post #45.

I’d say 1984 vs. Navy, but that was before I was a fan/student. Still, anyone knows the implication(s). For me, 2013 vs. UT, and it’s not even close. If we’re being truly honest, we know that team could’ve beaten AU and FSU, if nothing else, at least played in Pasadena. I’m not for runner-up trophies, and the SOS situation happened the way it happened, but just think how the future changes if we just play for a MNC. Obviously we had absurd hype for 2014, but that would’ve been a finish that completely changes our 13-14 recruiting and beyond no matter how you look at it, and SOS probably leaves after the 2013 season, and our program is looking for a HC after playing for a title, not after losing to El Cid. Amazing how everything could change because the ballsiest coach in history won’t go for it against a sorry UT team that was always his whipping boy. I’ll never get over that one

I’d say 1984 vs. Navy, but that was before I was a fan/student. Still, anyone knows the implication(s). For me, 2013 vs. UT, and it’s not even close. If we’re being truly honest, we know that team could’ve beaten AU and FSU, if nothing else, at least played in Pasadena. I’m not for runner-up trophies, and the SOS situation happened the way it happened, but just think how the future changes if we just play for a MNC. Obviously we had absurd hype for 2014, but that would’ve been a finish that completely changes our 13-14 recruiting and beyond no matter how you look at it, and SOS probably leaves after the 2013 season, and our program is looking for a HC after playing for a title, not after losing to El Cid. Amazing how everything could change because the ballsiest coach in history won’t go for it against a sorry UT team that was always his whipping boy. I’ll never get over that one
Very thoughtful and compelling. Our offense completely failed to show up at that UT game and I've never understood how we could play like that in such a meaningful situation. That home loss in 2011 to Auburn in what I think turned out to be Garcia's last start - and Auburn wasn't very good that year - was probably even more costly. Some doors closed for us that day, but the thing is, we needed to beat Auburn and they were there for the taking.

Reactions: wallycock
We should have already gotten the message about good vs. elite after the @$$-drilling FSU put on us in Columbia in 1988. 56-0, was it? We were ranked and coming off a good road win at N.C. State. FSU emptied our stadium on national TV - ESPN kept showing the empty stands. We've had many debacles, but that was as bad as any.

Thank you !!! I couldn’t remember the year . That was about as bad a beat down as I’ve ever seen in college football . 63-17 was bad but they made it a point to run it up . That FSU game in 88’ Bowden had his second string in 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter . Absolute slaughter. Never seen a team go up 21-0 without touching the ball on offense .

84 loss to Navy - Hands down....and then the loss to Oklahoma St (I believe) in a bowl game. I don't remember the year or the bowl game and don't feel like looking it up.

Reactions: mavcock
I have to go with the 1988 FSU game. 59-0 was pretty humiliating on national TV. I remember Joe Morrison being interviewed after the big win at NC State the week before telling the ESPN reporter something like "Wait until next week, you will see the best fans in the country". Yeah, you could have conducted target practice in the stands by the end of the 3rd quarter and not worry about hitting anybody. I was in the upper deck, I bet there were not 100 fans left in the entire deck by the start of the 4th. We looked bad in every possible way in that game, both team and fans.

I think we almost need to have two categories. We need "the most angry" you've been after a South Carolina game. I would put 2003 and 2016 Clemson up on at the top of that list. I wasn't disappointed, I was just ticked off at how pathetic we performed. 2011 Auburn game is up there too. Garcia threw every pass in the dirt in that game, I was furious!

Now for disappointing, there is no shortage of those either. 2013 Tennessee is at the top of my list....only because I was too young to remember 1984 Navy. If we beat Tennessee like we were supposed to that year, we are playing Auburn in the SEC title game for a shot at the Natty with FSU. I think we could have beat that Auburn team and we would have been a tough game for FSU as well. I probably should have been mad about that one too, but it just another dagger in the heart of the Gamecock football fan.

Reactions: Carolina4
34-0 loss at GT in 1988...
Still SMH about that one..

That was back before we understood much about concussions. Ellis took a hit at the end of the Va Tech game the week before and clearly still suffered from the effects during the GT game.

Then again, Ellis concussed was a better option than anything else we had. Maybe they knew and just didn’t care.

That was one hell of a head scratcher.

The Kentucky loss one week after beating #1 Bama.

I’m with you on that one. I think the whole setup made it so painful. Beat #1, whip the crap outta KY for a half, lose Marcus to injury & then fall apart & lose it at the end. Absolute misery & disappointment.

I’m too young for Navy, but that sounds awful.

38-0 home loss to Mississippi State in 1998. The previous week's loss to Marshall had been bad, but the team didn;t just give up. That team had way too much talent for such a season to be comprehended.

The Bad: Our team just laid down, rolled over and sad "rape me. The season is over."
The Good: we, the fans, gave up on FBrad along with the team.
Forgot about Brad. Wonder what he's doing now

That was back before we understood much about concussions. Ellis took a hit at the end of the Va Tech game the week before and clearly still suffered from the effects during the GT game.

Then again, Ellis concussed was a better option than anything else we had. Maybe they knew and just didn’t care.

That was one hell of a head scratcher.
He must have been concussed in our other three losses as well that year because he was awful in all of them.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Wow, what a terrible thread.

Normally, when you ask the forum a question like "what was the biggest," "what was the best," "what was the most important, etc.," I read some of the responses and think "What? Are you crazy?" Or "What is this guy thinking?" But not this time. Every last entry on this list makes me think "Um, yeah, that one still hurts." These are some truly cringe-worthy reminders of some terrible, terrible football.

Let’s get all this out of our system

KinLaw would be embarrassed with us talking about losing and such ................

9/8/18.

A lot of consideration was given to 63-17 but by that point our team was emotionally done, so not as surprised as I was 2 years earlier in 2001 when Florida went 54-17 on us at WB, we were a top 15 team playing at home and I was thinking upset or at worst we keep it close, my father and I have talked about that game many times over the years and we both agreed that Carolina was shown the difference between good and elite, we played good that night, they were just better. I still don't understand how they lost at home to UcheaT at the end of the year.
Losing to Pacific the year that Clemson won their first national championship ranks up there!

Maybe because it's fresh - but, ouch, last year's Clemson game left me angry for days.

Reactions: Union County Tiger
Thread delivers :D

I'm going with the 35-7 arse whipping in Cola in 2012

It's all perspective, right? That was possibly the greatest single game performance I have ever seen from a South Carolina Gamecock football team. That was a very good Georgia team, but we were hitting on all cylinders that night.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
It's all perspective, right? That was possibly the greatest single game performance I have ever seen from a South Carolina Gamecock football team. That was a very good Georgia team, but we were hitting on all cylinders that night.
Yes, y'all put it on us and we we're very good... we were an eyelash from beating Bama in the SECCG and we would have smoked Notre Dame in the NC game. I'd rather face Baker Mayfield than Connor Shaw.

Reactions: Carolina4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT