ADVERTISEMENT

Most Iconic Sports Moment You Witnessed In Person

I posted this about a year ago. It was two iconic Gamecock moments that I was there for, but also missed.

I missed what may have been the two most memorable plays in Gamecocks history. I used to have a bad habit of sort of looking down, away or covering my face on a big 3rd or 4th down play. I would wait for the crowd reaction to let me know. That is how I missed The Fade when it happened. I was looking down! I vowed from that point on to never do that again on purpose, and I never did.

I also missed Clowney's hit in the Outback Bowl. I was looking down, I think at my phone, and missed it. I heard people going crazy and next thing I knew we had the ball!

You better believe I didn't miss Bruce Ellington's game winning touchdown though!

Nothing outside USCfootball. The fade, 0-21 streak snapped, sister boyfriend kicked game winning FG in lower state championship. Earl Cunningham hit a 525’ homer.

Nothing outside USCfootball. The fade, 0-21 streak snapped, sister boyfriend kicked game winning FG in lower state championship. Earl Cunningham hit a 525’ homer.
This is what makes the hit unique. Most fans out of SC have no idea what the fade is, or most of our history. But the hit was an iconic moment in sports history. Not just SC sports history.

I did see Michael Jordan play baseball, and saw UF win a National Title. But it’s hard to think of an iconic moment I’ve witnessed near the scale of Clowney’s hit.

I guess you could say we witnessed Tebow, among others, win the Heisman Trophy…since we basically clinched it for him.

I was there when Tee Martin set the record for most consecutive passes without an incompletion against us. But that’s nowhere near the Clowney hit.

This is not USC related, but relatively iconic for me...

1) Jerome Lane breaking the backboard on a dunk for Pitt back in the late 80s.

2) Al Leiter throwing a no hitter for the Marlins in the 90s. He walked about six batters, so there was plenty of traffic on the bases that night...but nonetheless, it was an MLB no hitter.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Gary Harper throwing that pass to Horace Smith for a touchdown late in the game against Wake Forest in 1980. The following play South Carolina converted a two point play to win the game 39-38. During halftime George Rogers jersey was retired.

Sheldon Brown's interception against Ohio State in the 2002 Outback Bowl. The interception put South Carolina in field goal range in which Daniel Weaver converted in the dying seconds for South Carolina to win the game 31-28

Reactions: F-86F
Bill Elliott win the Winston Million.

Whit Merrifield with the "real" hit in the last game ever at Rosenblatt.

JBJ catch the final out at TD Ameritrade to win the first CWS there.

Freaking Dmac run for like 400 yards on us on a cold night in 05 or 06 I think.

5 peat...nuff said.

But honestly the best thing I ever saw was our games against UVA and UF in 2011 at TD Ameritrade. Those games were just unreal.

This is not USC related, but relatively iconic for me...

1) Jerome Lane breaking the backboard on a dunk for Pitt back in the late 80s.

2) Al Leiter throwing a no hitter for the Marlins in the 90s. He walked about six batters, so there was plenty of traffic on the bases that night...but nonetheless, it was an MLB no hitter.
Yea, this is what I was thinking of when starting the thread. Awesome you saw these.

Not Gamecocks related but here are my Top 3 iconic sports moments:
1) Los Angeles Lakers defeating the Boston Celtics in Game 6 at Boston Garden to clinch the 1985 Championship.
2) Nebraska Huskers getting revenge on Miami Hurricanes in Orange Bowl for the 1995 National Championship.
3) New England Patriots upsetting the bad ass Seattle Seahawks in a hard fought victory for Super Bowl XLIX.

Reactions: Captain Weegie
I saw Brooks Robinson of the Baltimore Orioles make 3 errors in a game against Oakland in old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. He almost never made an error and made 3 in this game.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Lakers at Hornets 2002, Kobe hit an 18’ dagger off the dribble at the buzzard for the win. I was like, f***, but wow! Great game, back and forth all night.

Cardinals at Pirates 1998, McGwire hit home run #52 of 70 in his record breaking year.

Saw Jeff Gordon win the Winston Million in 1997 at Darlington.

Carolina....
Ryan Brewer ran off tackle and into our lap for a TD in the Outback bowl.

The Fade.

Whit’s hit for the title. I’ve never been so happy! There for the 2nd title also.

Saw us beat #1 in football, basketball and baseball in 2010-2011 school year.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
1. The 2011 baseball title
2. The final four run (missed sweet 16 game but caught all the rest in person)
3. Beating Alabama at home under Saban. The more success they have the more I appreciate that win. Weird to say but true.

Gary Harper throwing that pass to Horace Smith for a touchdown late in the game against Wake Forest in 1980. The following play South Carolina converted a two point play to win the game 39-38. During halftime George Rogers jersey was retired.

Sheldon Brown's interception against Ohio State in the 2002 Outback Bowl. The interception put South Carolina in field goal range in which Daniel Weaver converted in the dying seconds for South Carolina to win the game 31-28

Still can’t believe Ohio State attempted that pass when they had all the momentum. Still can’t believe we hit that field goal. Still can’t believe we blew that lead and needed all that to win that game we dominated for 3 quarters.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
"Hold" that Tiger

Tearing down the Goalpost (Twice)

The Fade

Pollack's Pick(bad)

The Hit

Brewer's Revenge

Hope we can have a few more soon.

I was at the final 1966 world series game in Baltimore, when the Orioles beat Don Drysdale and swept the Dodgers.

Seeing Steve Prefontaine run at the Drake relays and Florida relays. Never been a more dominant runner.

Seeing Jack Nicklaus win the Masters in 1986.

Also in Tampa to witness the Clowney hit, but was more excited about Ellington's TD catch.

Wish I could have been at the ACC basketball championship game when we beat UNC. But no, I wasn't.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
In Person
I was at the Orange Bowl 1/2/84. Nebraska came in as the runaway #1 team in the nation, with the Heisman winner Mike Rozier, and Nebraska being called the greatest team of all time. Cinderella team Miami with Howard Schllenberger.
Was a great game for the National Championship, Miami winning 31-30

Reactions: Captain Weegie
2010 Super Regional in Myrtle Beach with the two best teams in the country playing. Christian Walker hits one late in the second game that cleared the bleachers in left field giving the Cocks the regional and propelling them to Omaha.

This is a good one. I was at the 1986 Masters. I was beside the sand trap on 15 and saw like 8 groups come trough that had eagles in every group, including Nicklaus. After his group finished 15, I went to the beer tent between 15 and 16 for a berr. I was standing there watching when Nicklaus almost made that hole in 1. I Happened to be at the right place at the right time.

This is a good one. I was at the 1986 Masters. I was beside the sand trap on 15 and saw like 8 groups come trough that had eagles in every group, including Nicklaus. After his group finished 15, I went to the beer tent between 15 and 16 for a berr. I was standing there watching when Nicklaus almost made that hole in 1. I Happened to be at the right place at the right time.
My parents (dad & stepmom) were on opposite sides of the same tree on 18 that day. They didn't actually meet though until December 1986.

Reactions: DrMickey
I'm just looking forward to that day when we can see some team hoist the "We're #12!" trophy.

Watched Jack Nicklaus hit a hole in one during the 3-Par tournament at the 2015 Masters. The place went nuts.

Puntrooskie - Clemson v. FSU.

I have seen three MLB no hitters (Nolan Ryan, Bobby Witt & Jim Bibby). I also saw a MLB game called as a forfeit. Another one where a drunk fan climbed the foul pole and they had to get the firetrucks to get him down..

I'm just looking forward to that day when we can see some team hoist the "We're #12!" trophy.
Ji6pgD.gif

• Haha
Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
Not Gamecocks related but here are my Top 3 iconic sports moments:
1) Los Angeles Lakers defeating the Boston Celtics in Game 6 at Boston Garden to clinch the 1985 Championship.
2) Nebraska Huskers getting revenge on Miami Hurricanes in Orange Bowl for the 1995 National Championship.
3) New England Patriots upsetting the bad ass Seattle Seahawks in a hard fought victory for Super Bowl XLIX.
You saw all of these in person ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT