ADVERTISEMENT

Muschamp isn't the problem.

A freshman QB who hasn't adjusted to the college game and our lack of penetration up front were our problems tonight. Coaches don't control that. The light will come on for RH3 whenever it comes on. It can't be forced. And the DL has played pretty well up to tonight. Let's calm the hell down before throwing the man overboard. You fire Muschamp and half our talent will hit the transfer portal. Whether you like it or not we're going to have to let him build.
What a bunch of crap.

A freshman QB who hasn't adjusted to the college game and our lack of penetration up front were our problems tonight. Coaches don't control that. The light will come on for RH3 whenever it comes on. It can't be forced. And the DL has played pretty well up to tonight. Let's calm the hell down before throwing the man overboard. You fire Muschamp and half our talent will hit the transfer portal. Whether you like it or not we're going to have to let him build.
I respectfully disagree with you sir. I believe it is absolutely Muschamp's fault. We have much better players than some of our opponents, including Tennessee, NC, and maybe even Missouri, and we continue to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

What does quantify mean? Went to school in south carolina. ooohhh you mean elaborate? Ok. Well actually youre right. We really havent had that many changes since bringing in two legends. I guess that is more to what my point should have been. Dietzel, morrison, holtz and spurrier. Older champioship type coaches. Should have left carlin alone. But thats just my opinion. You dont fire legends. But we should hire youth with some knowledge of the game and what it takes to win big. Will was a cooridinator at two universities that won nat. Titles. Built a heck of a defense at fla. I know, i know. And also at auburn. He can coach defense. And defense wins games. He can recruit. I just believe, that the other missing pieces will fall into place. Would you come to s.c. To coach? So then who? Give the man 2-3 more yrs to build it. Regardless. You hire someone else. He will need a few yrs to get his personell in place anyway. And whos to say that will pan out any better? I still think he gets it done. I am just not as wrapped up in it as some of you. My priorities in life are just a bit different. This university has accomplished great things in its past. We have a number of nat. Titles. Nationally ranked academic programs. Beautiful facilities. Etc...i am proud of the USC.
You could've saved yourself a lot of key strokes by simply saying, "I was wrong. I was just repeating what everyone else says about us changing coaches."

My friend. You are correct. I could have. But typing with you guys is about all i get to do other than drive this truck. Alot of lonely, and open time on my hands. But thanks for your concern.
Be careful. Its truly a madhouse out there anymore. I've never seen the interstates like they are now.

Year 4 for the chump and we win 4 or 5 games? If he hasn't rebuilt any better than this in 4 years, then I don't any warm and fuzzies about the future. Maybe he'll get to 7 wins in year 7 of his tenure here? Maybe a 3rd or 4th place finish in the SEC east? Is this what we pay millions for? We at least saw a good coach (SOS) could field a good and well-coached team. Not great on the recruiting trail at the end, but dang the games were at least fun and entertaining.
On a realistic note, we have never won the SEC (did win the ACC 50 years ago) and we only won the SEC-East once and we did it with 3 conference losses (only time that's ever happened) and we got friggin HAMMERED in the SEC championship game, so maybe this is just what to expect out of our program.

Dietzel, Carlen and Morrison were in their prime when they came here. The only older coaches we have hired in modern times are Holtz and Spurrier.

I see some Taters like this thread.

My big boy pants are on, hence why I'm the only adult in this conversation. You know who needs to wear big boy pants? Guys who are so emotional after watching college kids lose at football that they lash out against strangers online. I hope you're no older than 15. It would be pretty sad otherwise.
Are you not doing exactly what you're accusing others of doing to you? Think about it.

Reactions: ddw1263
If I were your AD I would go after Hugh Freeze. Every team including Bama cheats, Hugh just got caught because of a loudmouth player. He can recruit and coach and he is at Liberty still correct? You need to be talking with him now. Another great coach would be Les Miles. I would take him in a second over the Champ!

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
If I were your AD I would go after Hugh Freeze. Every team including Bama cheats, Hugh just got caught because of a loudmouth player. He can recruit and coach and he is at Liberty still correct? You need to be talking with him now. Another great coach would be Les Miles. I would take him in a second over the Champ!
We would be repeating what we did with WM. We need to find our Dabo....that's kinda humiliating, but it's true.

Reactions: agantt
Stick with him, as in we've found a winner don't let go of him? Is this what you believe? If so, hard to have a conversation with you.
You said there should at least be baby steps evidence of progress, so I pointed out that we've seen that. I'd expect more by year 4, but it's relevant to consider that he inherited a team that went 3-9 and lost to the Citadel.

You said there should at least be baby steps evidence of progress, so I pointed out that we've seen that. I'd expect more by year 4, but it's relevant to consider that he inherited a team that went 3-9 and lost to the Citadel.
Again,

9-3
7-6
4-8????

That's not progress no matter how you slice it, Georgia fan.

I agree to a certain extent. Yes, ultimately the coach is responsible for everything BUT.... anyone who knows Muschamp knows that his work ethic isn't the problem. His first three years have been pretty good considering where the program was when he took over. This year has certainly been a disappointment, not just in the losses... losses are easily to handle if you the team competed and played well and you just get beat by a better team.

I agree that at some point, players have to have accountability. Defense had been great or at least very good for most of the last 3 games. Clearly they did not play well vs Tennessee. The coaches did not scheme it so their receivers would be open all day... that's on the defensive backs for not doing their job.

Same thing with the QB. Yes, I get it, Ryan is a freshman. OK. So even though he was highly touted, he IS a freshman. You can definitely see now why he was the backup to Jake. Clearly, he wasn't ready. Take out the Charleston Southern game and Ryan has had good moments with a lot of inconsistency. He has missed a ton of open receivers. If it were Jake missing that many receivers, our fans would be booing him out of the stadium. In fairness, Ryan has been hit a lot. But, he needs to play better.

While I'm not sold on our offensive schemes and coaching, I think players need to have more accountability in performing.

Muschamp isn't overthrowing wide open receivers. Muschamp isn't missing tackles. Muschamp isn't blowing coverage. The plays are there, the players need to perform.

Again,

9-3
7-6
4-8????

That's not progress no matter how you slice it, Georgia fan.
Do you honestly believe the program is in the same state it was before Muschamp arrived? Again, the team was 3-9 and lost to the Citadel.

It's entirely fair to say Muschamp should accomplish a lot more by year 4 and I happen to share that point of view. But even if USC were to make a change, you'd have to conclude that Muschamp left the program in better shape than he found it, especially when you factor-in the difficulty of the schedule he faced (#1 in the country) in his only losing season.

Do you honestly believe the program is in the same state it was before Muschamp arrived? Again, the team was 3-9 and lost to the Citadel.

It's entirely fair to say Muschamp should accomplish a lot more by year 4 and I happen to share that point of view. But even if USC were to make a change, you'd have to conclude that Muschamp left the program in better shape than he found it, especially when you factor-in the difficulty of the schedule he faced (#1 in the country) in his only losing season.

The problem is that we are trending down and the same issues that dogged Champ at UF are dogging him here.

And it isn't the #1 schedule that's killing us. It's the losses to UNC, Mizzou and UT that have trashed our season. Not a fan here would be upset if were sitting at 5-3 with losses to Bama, UGA and UF. On the contrary, every fan here would have considered that a rousing success. We can never complain about our schedule this year when we didn't beat those 3 teams.

The problem is that we are trending down and the same issues that dogged Champ at UF are dogging him here.

And it isn't the #1 schedule that's killing us. It's the losses to UNC, Mizzou and UT that have trashed our season. Not a fan here would be upset if were sitting at 5-3 with losses to Bama, UGA and UF. On the contrary, every fan here would have considered that a rousing success. We can never complain about our schedule this year when we didn't beat those 3 teams.
I happen to agree which is why I'm in the camp who thinks that if Muschamp was the answer, we'd know it by now. I don't think he'll get fired this year, but I also don't think he show enough progress in 2020 to change anyone's mind.

However, this entire devil's advocate debate began because certain posters were acting as if any other point of view was completely irrational and throwing around personal insults as if anyone who isn't in the "Fire Muchamp" camp was a moron. There's a reasonable counter-argument.

We certainly haven't seen much consistency out of Will, but we've seen him beat Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Michigan, etc. so at least we know it's possible. I happen to think he's just another example of a great coordinator who couldn't make the transition to HC. But it's not like the guy is totally inept. He knows the game, he's very driven, he recruits reasonably well, he's respected enough that he can hire credible, experienced assistants, and we've actually seen him beat some pretty good programs by out-coaching the opposition. There's a reason that Texas made him their CIW, Florida hired him, and a Hall of Fame coach like Spurrier recommended him for USC. South Carolina fans who still see potential in him are not idiots, nor are they in denial. They are just realistic about how hard it is to build a consistent winner in the SEC when you're not one of the traditional bluebloods.

Reactions: nc38
Who could South Carolina realistically hire that IS equivalent to Steve Spurrier?

Spurrier was a solid coach; not likely to find a direct replacement for him.

However, if it were me, I'd be going after Lane Kiffin.

....But it's not like the guy is totally inept. He knows the game, he's very driven, he recruits reasonably well, he's respected enough that he can hire credible, experienced assistants, and we've actually seen him beat some pretty good programs by out-coaching the opposition....
Recruiting hasn't changed appreciably year to year since the 90s. We've had a few recruiting classes outside the 15-25 range but not many. Didn't matter if it was Brad Scott, Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier, or Will Muschamp.

What credible coordinators has he hired here? Roper? Bmac? TRob? What were their options? It's a complete joke to call them credible or experienced!

What pretty good programs has he outcoached? Georgia? Okay great. That's one. But we're 1-12 over the last 13 top 25 matchups. To claim he's outcoaching people is ridiculous when we were favored by nearly 2 TDs vs North Carolina and 5 points vs UT but lost by 3 TDs to Jeremy Pruitt who couldn't beat Georgia State. What about Viriginia who's landed one top 50 class in the last 5 years? Talk about "outcoaching!" He's been outcoached much more often.

We are trending down, just like Florida did with him. This is the epitome of ineptitude!

Can't keep talking about what WM inherited. Talk about last three seasons. And, of course, this season which is pathetic so far.

I "...a Hall of Fame coach like Spurrier recommended him for USC."

That was a cruel joke!

Muschamp is a prime example for the reason you don't hire friends as your coaches and coordinators. A coach with true HC instinct would absolutely find the best OC and DC he can find and get the hell out of the way.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

Probably 4-8 and lost to App State. Get out of here with this weak crap, Georgia fan.

First off, history is prologue. And I will ask you the same question I would have liked to have asked Ray when Muschamp was hired. If he couldnt win big at Florida with all of their natural recruiting advantages, and tradition of success, what in the world made one think he could win big at USC? Give him time? His team is now on the field. 4th year in, and program still mediocre. Muschamp is what he is. I think he is a good football coach. I like him. But some guys are good assistants, some of them make good head coaches. I think Muschamp just falls in that category of not being a good head coach. USC is just like his Florida teams. Try as many OC's and different QB guru's as you want, but the team never seems to find an offensive identity. Or maybe your line of thinking is in line with what some feel is the train of thought of the powers that be at USC. That being in the SEC is a little more than USC could be expected to handle on a consistent basis. And that all should be satisfied with having a shot to play in some minor junk bowl most years and maybe getting lucky once every decade and actually win 10 games and get in a relevant bowl game. If that is what you want, Muschamp may be your guy. But even though an uphill battle, one would hope that USC would not be satisfied with being mediocre.

You and the 3 members that like this are idiots. Go somewhere else if you want a program that sucks.

My big boy pants are on, hence why I'm the only adult in this conversation. You know who needs to wear big boy pants? Guys who are so emotional after watching college kids lose at football that they lash out against strangers online. I hope you're no older than 15. It would be pretty sad otherwise.

You are either so wealthy it doesn't matter, or toy have no idea the financial investment people are putting into their alma mater. They are wearing big boy pants and paying big boy money. If you are okay with losing on an investment, I have a beach front real estate opportunity for you in nevada

Our DL was not the problem and Hilinski played well.. WTH are you talking about? We dropped about a dozen passes last night... How can anyone blame Ryan for the offense right now? He almost single handedly brought us back from down 2 scores in the last 5 minutes of the game, the pick six hit our guy dead in the hands and the D only allowed 13 points to one of the better scoring offenses in the NCAA. A whole lot of stupid in this post. We lost because of horrible run blocking and a staff who refused to acknowledge we were not opening holes on the interior and literally kept running the same first down up the middle run plays into a brick wall... That and the afore mentioned dropped passes.

I know many of you haven’t been here since day 1 and do not know who this GI Joe cat is- he is some ego maniac psycho who was banned at least 2-3 times for being a troll. It would be best to ignore him.

Our DL was not the problem and Hilinski played well.. WTH are you talking about? We dropped about a dozen passes last night... How can anyone blame Ryan for the offense right now? He almost single handedly brought us back from down 2 scores in the last 5 minutes of the game, the pick six hit our guy dead in the hands and the D only allowed 13 points to one of the better scoring offenses in the NCAA. A whole lot of stupid in this post. We lost because of horrible run blocking and a staff who refused to acknowledge we were not opening holes on the interior and literally kept running the same first down up the middle run plays into a brick wall... That and the afore mentioned dropped passes.

But at the same time, catching the ball is a skill that can be coached and honed. If they aren't catching the ball, it is because they aren't taking enough reps before, during, and after practice to get better. And the coaches obviously aren't teaching them and repping them enough to break the bad highschool habits. I know coaches aren't out there playing, but they control practices and how the team operates. These are problems that can be fixed. I used to bite my nails as a kid--bad habit. But, i was able to break that bad habit byreplacing it with a positive habit. They need to break these bad habits by repping good habits until it is second nature.

Where is this talent you speak of?

I know many of you haven’t been here since day 1 and do not know who this GI Joe cat is- he is some ego maniac psycho who was banned at least 2-3 times for being a troll. It would be best to ignore him.
Dude you literally wrote a long, boring ass post to me 2 minutes before you posted this. Are you sure it's not you who's the psycho?

You are either so wealthy it doesn't matter, or toy have no idea the financial investment people are putting into their alma mater. They are wearing big boy pants and paying big boy money. If you are okay with losing on an investment, I have a beach front real estate opportunity for you in nevada
Yeah, I'm sure everyone throwing a perpetual tantrum about the football team on this site is a silver spur donor. Good call.

Yeah, I'm sure everyone throwing a perpetual tantrum about the football team on this site is a silver spur donor. Good call.

Attending football games has never been and never will be an investment. You will never see a return on your money other than potential happiness. People who are true fans and fortunate enough to be able to afford it, donate money and go to games because they love the school and they love football. Would they love to see a winner? Sure they would, but most wouldn't raise or lower their giving based on winning. Their giving is based on what they can afford to give. The people with suites and huge rv’s and names on buildings give regardless. Sure they hope for a winner, but ultimately they give for the love of the university and in a lot of cases to give back because of the education they received granted them the opportunity to give back. They do it so the next group of scholars or athletes can hopefully one day afford to do the same thing and support the next crop of athletes and scholars.

Attending football games has never been and never will be an investment. You will never see a return on your money other than potential happiness. People who are true fans and fortunate enough to be able to afford it, donate money and go to games because they love the school and they love football. Would they love to see a winner? Sure they would, but most wouldn't raise or lower their giving based on winning. Their giving is based on what they can afford to give. The people with suites and huge rv’s and names on buildings give regardless. Sure they hope for a winner, but ultimately they give for the love of the university and in a lot of cases to give back because of the education they received granted them the opportunity to give back. They do it so the next group of scholars or athletes can hopefully one day afford to do the same thing and support the next crop of athletes and scholars.
Yep. And that's why Vanderbilt dwarfs Alabama's athletic revenue. Oh wait.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT