ADVERTISEMENT

My take on the current recruiting tactics

I've never heard him talk about football much. I'm not disagreeing with you, but I've never heard him say much other than rattling off a few player numbers, a lot of statistics, and talking about how good the opponent is. I have no problem with being wrong. I just haven't heard it.
I'll admit, I haven't heard him do it much recently. But early on as a head coach, he used to give his "too long" answers, but they were too long about technical football talk. I think part of the reason he doesn't do that anymore is because someone probably took him aside and said, "You know, people like the folksy andy-griffith approach. the technical talk mostly bores them." Probably happened to Bobby Bowden as well.

Here is an answer you wont like to hear. Clemson solved its football program problem and that solved our recruiting problem.

1. Everyone has to be on same page and that includes president, BOT, coaches, admin, boosters, players, and fans. Without this you are going to have a problem. Under Jim Barker we had no chance because sports were just not a huge thing to him.

2. You have to make a home run coaching hire. A guy that is unique, smart, a guy that brings everyone together. Those people are not that easy to find. The type that truly doesnt coach for the paycheck. He also has to be able to find and evaluate asst coaches that will fit his program and think outside box.

3. You have to get lucky at some point to put you over that tipping point. You have to start to beat teams with luck and some creativity in order to build your brand. Then you will have some power to build recruiting.

4. Facilities

All of this works together to create your answer
Oh. But I was responding to
Clemson is a play or two away from being back to back national champions...and we are discussing if Dabo is a good "coach" or not. Maybe this is our problem.
Let's face it, they were also a play or 2 away from being an 8-4 team.

The young man in question needs to rethink his decommittment to Carolina. The UGA HC is simply Dabo in a nicer suit. Otherwise, he's a used car salesman posing as a Head Football Coach. Beware!

You seem to really dislike coaches that whip SC

When people say football coach, they mean someone who is involved in game planning. Dabo is a recruiter and CEO with the head coach title. Maybe that's the future of "coaching", who knows. Other coaches have been similar at times. But what people mean is that he really doesn't understand the actual game as well as other coaches. He's beating people because of talent and great coordinators, which is definitely a big part of what a coach does. But most coaches would beat him with equal talent and some type of requirement to actually participate in the game plan. That's all people mean.
No doubt he can't coach a lick by himself, that's why he has to surround himself with assistants who can. He would never make it in either division of the SEC.

When people say football coach, they mean someone who is involved in game planning. Dabo is a recruiter and CEO with the head coach title. Maybe that's the future of "coaching", who knows. Other coaches have been similar at times. But what people mean is that he really doesn't understand the actual game as well as other coaches. He's beating people because of talent and great coordinators, which is definitely a big part of what a coach does. But most coaches would beat him with equal talent and some type of requirement to actually participate in the game plan. That's all people mean.
While I think Datboy is one of the biggest tools around and his wife is a total bimbo, I get sick of our fans screaming the CEO thing. Not one fan has a clue how involved he is or not in game planning and play calling. Total idiotic imo. Show me the proof. People believe and repeat what they read on the Internet, lol. It's "fake news!"

While I think Datboy is one of the biggest tools around and his wife is a total bimbo, I get sick of our fans screaming the CEO thing. Not one fan has a clue how involved he is or not in game planning and play calling. Total idiotic imo. Show me the proof. People believe and repeat what they read on the Internet, lol. It's "fake news!"
The wife comment is completely out of line. Be better.

Reactions: FJRTiger
Those coaches have to play a manager/ ceo role as well. For some reason, everyone acts like calling Dabo a manager/ ceo is a bad thing. It doesn't mean he's not effective or even great. It means he's not what, traditionally, coaches have been.
You have made some reasonable points but I think everyone is challenging you because you assume Dabo has no planning/play-calling skills as a coach and you have no proof of that. I compare him to Bobby Bowden. All the charm in the world and great assistants. But Bowden stepped in with his opinions on the most crucial plays. Dabo called or greenlit the fake punt against Oklahoma in the playoffs last year and he signed off on the final play in the National Championship this year. He is the epitome of a "Coach".

For the record dabo is very involved in the game planning. Also he hired Chas Morris because Chad ran the kind of offense dabo wanted. It was chad's offense but dabo's vision.

Reactions: rbtiger
You have made some reasonable points but I think everyone is challenging you because you assume Dabo has no planning/play-calling skills as a coach and you have no proof of that. I compare him to Bobby Bowden. All the charm in the world and great assistants. But Bowden stepped in with his opinions on the most crucial plays. Dabo called or greenlit the fake punt against Oklahoma in the playoffs last year and he signed off on the final play in the National Championship this year. He is the epitome of a "Coach".
I've obviously not stated my point very well. Yes, he's a coach. So no need to argue about that anymore.

Here's the way I see it. Let's say Dabo was caught up in some scandal and got fired. I'm thinking of a Lane Kiffen or Steve Sarkisian type situation. Both of those guys were later given opportunities to "coach" again as coordinators who work hands on and very closely with the players. They both have proven over time that they can "coach" and get in the weeds to be successful. They've proven that on the field. Dabo hasn't. He might be the best in the weeds coach in the country, but he's never proven it.

I just don't see Dabo being given that opportunity. Dabo has proven himself in his current role and would very definitely be given another shot as a head coach somewhere else. He's proven that he can be a great head coach, which involves managing and CEO type responsibilities. All head coaches have those responsibilities, and some have also proven through other roles that they can get in the weeds.

Below I have listed a few notable coaches and every ACC coach. Dabo is the only coach in the ACC to not hold a coordinator position. He may very well be the best head coach of the bunch, but based on experience, he's also probably the one with the least amount of hands on, in the weeds type of coaching experience. This was my only point. He doesn't have that background and he relies on others who do. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's how he's winning. To be clear, that doesn't mean he's not a great head coach. It just means he does it in a different fashion than most.

Nick Saban's background - defensive coordinator

Urban Meyer's background - it's actually similar to Swinney's before his first head coaching job, but he developed his own spread option offense over a period of several years - he developed his offense

Les Miles - offensive coordinator

Bobby Petrino - offensive coordinator

Steve Addazio - offensive coordinator

David Cutcliffe - offensive coordinator

Jimbo Fisher - offensive coordinator

Paul Johnson - offensive coordinator

Mark Richt - offensive coordinator

Larry Fedora - offensive coordinator

Dave Doeren - defensive coordinator

Pat Narduzzi - defensive coordinator

Dino Babers - offensive coordinator

Bronco Mendenhall - defensive coordinator

Justin Fuente - offensive coordinator

Dave Clawson - offensive coordinator

And just to head off at least one Clemson poster who I fully expect an enraged response from, I know Dabo won't be looking for coordinator positions any time soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: cutiger55
For the record dabo is very involved in the game planning. Also he hired Chas Morris because Chad ran the kind of offense dabo wanted. It was chad's offense but dabo's vision.
It was Chad's vision, which is why Chad developed it. I'm not being an ass. I appreciate decent, civil conversation.

Totally agree with you, he would have been an idiot for not playing his best players. What I do not understand is why Saban only player 13-14 players on defense. Come on, it is not like every player is not backed up with a 5*. I just guess it had never gotten to a point in a game that these guys had to play long enough to get tired

This is not unusual. Coaches are competitive guys and I suspect that Saban is more competitive than most. When Bama gets up 3 or more scores, it's over. NOBODY is coming back from that (Auburn is the lone exception that I can think of). You have to ask yourself why that is? It's b/c Saban doesn't take his foot off the gas. The starters stay in until like 5 min in the 4th quarter no matter the score. And they'll stay in the whole game if a shutout is on the line.

The above is not true at Clemson. I've watched Clemson boat race teams in the 1st quarter for the past two years. They get up 21-0 or 17-0 in the 1st quarter, and in come the mass substitutions. Before you know it, it's a 1 score game going into the 4th quarter.
Venables has spoken about it several times and said he never did that before he came to Clemson. Subs played during garbage time only. Only 2 deep guys saw the field for him while the game was in doubt. This is all Dabo for good or bad. So while I have no doubt this has and will cost us games, it’s how Clemson seems to “reload” every year especially on defense. It’s because the new guys that are starting/2 deep ALREADY have a couple hundred snaps in games that matter.

The point is that MOST teams do this. Bama, FSU, Oregon. How many times do you see two or three QBs play in a game (no matter the score)? Clemson played FIVE different QBs against SC State. That’s unheard of. Clemson is just different under Dabo. It has advantages and disadvantages, who knows how it will work out long term.

Reactions: V1RUS
Oh. But I was responding to Hopefultiger16, where he said "Winning ballgames is the only way to solve this.". It's amazing how the Tigers football team won the national championship and the entire Clemson football fanbase became experts on everything football.

I don’t pretend to be an expert on all things football. If I recall my post correctly, the above quote was in context of you guys getting better players not from SC. To expand your brand outside the state to the point where it is appealing to premium athletes, you have to win some big games where people take notice. Clemson did that. In fact that’s where the term “Clemsoning” came from. Clemson would win a big game vs a ranked opponent, then crap the bed the next week against Duke or WF. That sucked BUT, winning that big game drew attention to the program.

USC’s win over Tenn would have fit that bill if Tenn hadn’t faded so badly late in the season.

I've obviously not stated my point very well. Yes, he's a coach. So no need to argue about that anymore.

Here's the way I see it. Let's say Dabo was caught up in some scandal and got fired. I'm thinking of a Lane Kiffen or Steve Sarkisian type situation. Both of those guys were later given opportunities to "coach" again as coordinators who work hands on and very closely with the players. They both have proven over time that they can "coach" and get in the weeds to be successful. They've proven that on the field. Dabo hasn't. He might be the best in the weeds coach in the country, but he's never proven it.

I just don't see Dabo being given that opportunity. Dabo has proven himself in his current role and would very definitely be given another shot as a head coach somewhere else. He's proven that he can be a great head coach, which involves managing and CEO type responsibilities. All head coaches have those responsibilities, and some have also proven through other roles that they can get in the weeds.

Below I have listed a few notable coaches and every ACC coach. Dabo is the only coach in the ACC to not hold a coordinator position. He may very well be the best head coach of the bunch, but based on experience, he's also probably the one with the least amount of hands on, in the weeds type of coaching experience. This was my only point. He doesn't have that background and he relies on others who do. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's how he's winning. To be clear, that doesn't mean he's not a great head coach. It just means he does it in a different fashion than most.

Nick Saban's background - defensive coordinator

Urban Meyer's background - it's actually similar to Swinney's before his first head coaching job, but he developed his own spread option offense over a period of several years - he developed his offense

Les Miles - offensive coordinator

Bobby Petrino - offensive coordinator

Steve Addazio - offensive coordinator

David Cutcliffe - offensive coordinator

Jimbo Fisher - offensive coordinator

Paul Johnson - offensive coordinator

Mark Richt - offensive coordinator

Larry Fedora - offensive coordinator

Dave Doeren - defensive coordinator

Pat Narduzzi - defensive coordinator

Dino Babers - offensive coordinator

Bronco Mendenhall - defensive coordinator

Justin Fuente - offensive coordinator

Dave Clawson - offensive coordinator

And just to head off at least one Clemson poster who I fully expect an enraged response from, I know Dabo won't be looking for coordinator positions any time soon.
Very fair post. I agree.

It was Chad's vision, which is why Chad developed it. I'm not being an ass. I appreciate decent, civil conversation.

It was absolutely Chas Morris who installed the offense but he was hired because he and dabo shared the same Vision. It's why his first OC Napier was fired. Dabo wanted a spread offense with a power running game (still working on the power running game) with a dual threat QB. But y'all are right. Dabo has never been an OC and there really is no way to prove one way or the other how much he knows about x's abd o's. That said dabo is very much involved in the game planning.

It was absolutely Chas Morris who installed the offense but he was hired because he and dabo shared the same Vision. It's why his first OC Napier was fired. Dabo wanted a spread offense with a power running game (still working on the power running game) with a dual threat QB. But y'all are right. Dabo has never been an OC and there really is no way to prove one way or the other how much he knows about x's abd o's. That said dabo is very much involved in the game planning.

I have a question about the qb thing, just because I've never seen it addressed. Other than the fact that Trevor Lawrence is the top qb in the country and everyone would want him, how does that fit into Dabo's plans? Do you envision a change to the offense? The current offense can certainly operate with a pro style qb, but it works better with a dual threat guy. Maybe its been addressed. I haven't really looked for any info on this, but was just curious.

Maybe its just a situation where the guy was too good to pass on.

Don't hate the player, hate the game...

the-game-the-game-g-unot-610121_500_500.jpg

Reactions: 96gamecocks
I have a question about the qb thing, just because I've never seen it addressed. Other than the fact that Trevor Lawrence is the top qb in the country and everyone would want him, how does that fit into Dabo's plans? Do you envision a change to the offense? The current offense can certainly operate with a pro style qb, but it works better with a dual threat guy. Maybe its been addressed. I haven't really looked for any info on this, but was just curious.

Maybe its just a situation where the guy was too good to pass on.
Have you seen Lawrence play? I watched him three times this past season on GPB. The kid has got a set of wheels. He runs quite well for a big QB. Not a Clemson Coach-but doubt that they would call for Lawrence to run that many designed runs. But from what I saw -he can scramble and throw dimes on the run. He definitely is not a stationary QB.

I fine it funny that people underestimate Dabo because of the "aww shucks" type personality he brings. It seems to make people think he is less intelligent. I find it hard to believe that people still think personality and intelligence go hand in hand. You never judge someones intelligence by the way they talk or act. Travis Taylor is a prime example of this. If you dont know who he is watch a video of him. I swear I hear banjos playing in the background when he talks but when you look at his bio you will see he might be one of the smartest people on earth.
I use Taylor as a prime example because im sure that people who dont know who he is tend to underestimate him when they first hear him talk. I believe Dabo is a lot smarter that people give him credit for. Some of you may be right and he may not be an Xs and Os coach. One thing is for sure he had a destination in mind for the program when he took over and a plan to get there.

Reactions: Tigerpaw00
The young man in question needs to rethink his decommittment to Carolina. The UGA HC is simply Dabo in a nicer suit. Otherwise, he's a used car salesman posing as a Head Football Coach. Beware!

So you are saying he is going to play for and win national championships, I will take that.

Reactions: V1RUS
I don’t pretend to be an expert on all things football. If I recall my post correctly, the above quote was in context of you guys getting better players not from SC. To expand your brand outside the state to the point where it is appealing to premium athletes, you have to win some big games where people take notice. Clemson did that. In fact that’s where the term “Clemsoning” came from. Clemson would win a big game vs a ranked opponent, then crap the bed the next week against Duke or WF. That sucked BUT, winning that big game drew attention to the program.

USC’s win over Tenn would have fit that bill if Tenn hadn’t faded so badly late in the season.
I rest my original case.

"But most coaches would beat him with equal talent and some type of requirement to actually participate in the game plan. That's all people mean."

Im referring to this quote by you! It was his game plan to rotate players in and out of the NC game to wear down Bama, it was also his game plan to throw and not run on the game winning play from the goal line. I am, as is another poster, curious as to how you even know how involved he is in the game plan? Are you in the meetings, are you on the headset? Please explain the made up title too me? He was hired as the coach as is every other head coach, so i am curious?
I can answer that one. One of the coaches or players after the game, I think it was defensive coach said Dabo called the last play

The problem with our recruting is this..
1. We take to many transfers
2. We take to many JUCOS
3. We take to many kids with bad academic standing.

I understand that Clemson has not had maybe one JUCO in 10 years. Also I think we have guys here on official visits WHO HAVE YET TO PASS OR TAKE THE SAT. To me that's poor work on the coaches and risky which has bit us in the butt. Transfers are risky to and I always ask myself what was wrong in the original evaluation at the original school?. I would rather develope a guy as a freshman under my coaches at USC.
TOO! damn!

USC is in a tough spot recruiting right now. Any premium player is going to be targeted by other programs. Winning ballgames is the only way to solve this.

This tickles me to no end as a Clemson fan, but as a USC fan who wants their program to improve, this should worry you. Look, no USC fan is ever going to like Dabo, I get it. I hated Spurrier while he was at USC too. But I never tried to say he wasn’t a good coach. When Dabo took over in 2009, Clemson was a mediocre program with such a talent for choking in big games that the term “Clemsoning” was created. He rebuilt the program from the ground up. Since, WV crushed Clemson in 2011, Clemson is 6/7 in bowl games with wins over LSU, Ohio State (twice), Oklahoma (twice), and Bama. The only loss coming to Bama in the 2015 NC game. One or two wins can be luck. But the above string of wins verses some of the best teams and coaches in the country is no accident. Dabo is a damn fine football coach. Saying anything else is blinding you to some of the possibilities for improving your program. Perhaps a “cheer leader in chief” like Dabo is exactly what you need to rebuild your program?

No Thanks Tater.. One Dabo in SC is enough. We will find another way soon enough and send you guys back under your Rock for another 5 years soon enough...

Reactions: NCGamcockFan2167
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT