ADVERTISEMENT

Naming rights for baseball stadium announced

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
PER USC

The Board of Trustees of the University of South Carolina has approved a naming rights partnership of Carolina Stadium to Founders Federal Credit Union.

More information on the agreement will be announced next Thursday, Oct. 22 at Noon.

Yeah, that's the price you pay, I guess, for the money for naming rights; a dumb-sounding name for your first-class stadium. Founders Federal Credit Union Field? I guess that's better than the BI-LO Center and KFC Yum! Center, but it still takes something away from the overall impression, I think.

Colonial Life should have jumped on the baseball field too. For no other reason than I just like the name better

Exactly. FFCU; used to be Springmaid Federal Credit Union, changed their name so as to step away from Springs Industry - the old cotton mill company that hauled ass to Mexico back in 90's, and are now in the oriental area as well. All their mill's in SC closed, hence the overall economic calamity of all their "mill towns" (ie Chester, Lancaster, Fort Lawn, etc)

Besides, FFCU pretty much owns the upstate and only one branch in Charlotte near Carowinds.

Not a big fan of FFCU here. They're the main reason there's no Bank of America in Lancaster County. Not a big LA fan here either.

JMHIFWIW

Last edited:
I get the need for corporate sponsors but would rather they use something like Carolina Park at Founders Field. Still have the sponsor but keep the Carolina connection in the name. Like USG&G's Sugar Bowl.

we use the abbreviation CLA when discussing the arena but .......ffcu field.........sound it out!!! ..........Think about it!!! ............I do not think that will catch on!

Yeah, that's the price you pay, I guess, for the money for naming rights; a dumb-sounding name for your first-class stadium. Founders Federal Credit Union Field? I guess that's better than the BI-LO Center and KFC Yum! Center, but it still takes something away from the overall impression, I think.
It's gonna be "Founders Park"- sounds good to me.

The BI-LO Center is now called Bon Secours Wellness Arena. Still suxs!

Don't you have to contribute over 50% of the cost to have a building or structure named after you at South Carolina? Once I heard that, I kinda figured it would never have a donors naming rights permanently. Didn't they hit granite and blow the budget out of the water?

I hear (and fully believe) it's a great baseball stadium.

Don't you have to contribute over 50% of the cost to have a building or structure named after you at South Carolina? Once I heard that, I kinda figured it would never have a donors naming rights permanently. Didn't they hit granite and blow the budget out of the water?

I hear (and fully believe) it's a great baseball stadium.
Granite didn't blow the budget. It blew the timeline.

Reactions: 67gamecock
The "Federal Credit Union" part isn't going to be in the name- it will simply be "Founders Park"

Whatever marketing director at FFCU agreed to that should be fired. Founders Federal Credit Union isn't a household (hence the branding initiative). Using one word in their name doesn't get the job done.

Whatever marketing director at FFCU agreed to that should be fired. Founders Federal Credit Union isn't a household (hence the branding initiative). Using one word in their name doesn't get the job done.
Depends on what signage they have, but I agree to a certain extent. The Colonial Life Arena used to be Colonial Center.

Depends on what signage they have, but I agree to a certain extent. The Colonial Life Arena used to be Colonial Center.

Here's their typical signage...

founders-federal1.jpg

People in Clemson would flip their you know what if we gave naming rights to an athletic facility for a corporation, which I think is stupid.

If I were Tanner I would sell the rights too, it just makes good sense.

People in Clemson would flip their you know what if we gave naming rights to an athletic facility for a corporation, which I think is stupid.

If I were Tanner I would sell the rights too, it just makes good sense.

That is interesting. One of FCU of exe's that was part of team to negotiate the naming right contract is Clemson grad and big supporter. Of course CU geography does not fit as well USC for for this level of sponsorship but your statement may also be reason that FCU is not doing this or other naming rights with CU. But also there are USC grads exe too with FCU.

I know this is kind of a smart ass reply, but I hold truth in high regard. The budget was definitely blown and granite at least contributed to that end...... Unless there are companies that blast granite for free around Columbia. See article.....

https://southcarolina.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=714368

Martin Marietta mines and processes lots of granite in the area. I'm sure they were more than willing to take excess stone off USC's hands and they (M-M) paid a price for it, too, I'll bet.

That is interesting. One of FCU of exe's that was part of team to negotiate the naming right contract is Clemson grad and big supporter. Of course CU geography does not fit as well USC for for this level of sponsorship but your statement may also be reason that FCU is not doing this or other naming rights with CU. But also there are USC grads exe too with FCU.

I meant that Clemson fans would be upset (and wrongfully so in my opinion) if a CLEMSON athletic facility had naming rights put up for auction. If a Clemson Grad is an exec at Founders, it's not his or her job to worry about if gamecock fans are offended or not offended. Their job is to promote and grow their company. I agree Clemson is not as attractive for Founders.

I believe the plan was to find a donor to pay over 50% of the cost to build the stadium, they blew the budget wide open, couldn't find a donor and have decided to farm it out like the Bi-Lo Center/Bon Secours Wellness Arena.

Martin Marietta mines and processes lots of granite in the area. I'm sure they were more than willing to take excess stone off USC's hands and they (M-M) paid a price for it, too, I'll bet.

Did you read the article? Here, I will cut and paste the part you need to read that explains ain't nobody blasting no granite boulders for free.

"When the project began, geologic surveys suggested about 30 percent of the material underground would be granite. It turned out to be about 45 percent, resulting in greater costs for excavation.

"The people that have been working on this project have been highly professional people," Kelly said. "The granite down there has caused a couple of issues for us. But it's not the biggest issue. Far and away, the biggest issue has been the escalation in construction costs over the last four or five years."

In addition, demolition of the boulders has proven to be more difficult than first thought, Kelly said.

"The granite is having to be rolled out, re-drilled, re-blasted, and then dealt with," Kelly told the committee. "Concerns with the site is something we've been continuously addressing since we've been there."

Unfortunately, dealing with the granite took longer than expected and was more expensive than initially thought"

Did you read the article? Here, I will cut and paste the part you need to read that explains ain't nobody blasting no granite boulders for free.

"When the project began, geologic surveys suggested about 30 percent of the material underground would be granite. It turned out to be about 45 percent, resulting in greater costs for excavation.

"The people that have been working on this project have been highly professional people," Kelly said. "The granite down there has caused a couple of issues for us. But it's not the biggest issue. Far and away, the biggest issue has been the escalation in construction costs over the last four or five years."

In addition, demolition of the boulders has proven to be more difficult than first thought, Kelly said.

"The granite is having to be rolled out, re-drilled, re-blasted, and then dealt with," Kelly told the committee. "Concerns with the site is something we've been continuously addressing since we've been there."

Unfortunately, dealing with the granite took longer than expected and was more expensive than initially thought"
Drop in the bucket. Our AD brings in over $100 million a year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT