ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska back peddles

Nebraska A.D. was like.....

tenor.gif

On what grounds ?

They joined the Big Ten to play football. If the Big Ten says not only are we not going to play football, we aren't going to let you mitigate your damages by playing football elsewhere. Seems to me that is not a reaonable position to take. Like most schools Nebraska is dependent on football revenues to support their whole Athletic Dept program. If the Big Ten doesn't want to play because of concerns, that is legitimate, but what interest do they have in stopping Nebraska from getting any other football revenues? Other than spite?

They joined the Big Ten to play football. If the Big Ten says not only are we not going to play football, we aren't going to let you mitigate your damages by playing football elsewhere. Seems to me that is not a reaonable position to take. Like most schools Nebraska is dependent on football revenues to support their whole Athletic Dept program. If the Big Ten doesn't want to play because of concerns, that is legitimate, but what interest do they have in stopping Nebraska from getting any other football revenues? Other than spite?
Either you are in the conference or you aren't. Either toe the line or try the independent route.

But they're planning on playing in the spring semester. If the SEC, ACC and Big 12 (-2) can't play this fall and also end up having to play in the spring, what has Nebraska lost compared to the other Big 10 (+4) teams?

Just because other schools can afford to lose money doesn't mean Nebraska has to. I will be very skeptical if there is any spring college football from the Big Ten.

Just because other schools can afford to lose money doesn't mean Nebraska has to. I will be very skeptical if there is any spring college football from the Big Ten.
So you are saying they should be able to play in the fall? What happens if the Big 10 does play in the spring. Nebraska would have already played a season. It would cause the Big 10 to make a schedule excluding Nebraska.
If a conference member were to go rogue like that, they would lose conference affiliation. Besides, who could they even play in the fall?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Personally, I will be skeptical if any football will be played at all until 2021. But regardless, when you play in a conference, you abide by it's rules, which includes media rights and scheduling.

While Texas may be used to getting its own way in the Big 12 -- which is a large part of the reason Nebraska, Mizzou and aTm are no longer a part of that conference. But the rules in the Big 10 are more strict when it comes to adherence.

As I said before, I too am skeptical about any sports being played before next fall.

But the Big 10 laid out the easiest way to play this fall: Pay a $50 million exit fee and play whoever will play you. Should be interesting since pretty much everyone else is saying they're playing conference only schedules.

Bottom line, you join a club, you either play by the rules or you go join a different club.

So you are saying they should be able to play in the fall? What happens if the Big 10 does play in the spring. Nebraska would have already played a season. It would cause the Big 10 to make a schedule excluding Nebraska.
If a conference member were to go rogue like that, they would lose conference affiliation. Besides, who could they even play in the fall?

Nebraska's hope was to play with Big 12 teams and they approached the Big 12 conference with that suggestion or inquiry. The Big 12 said no. As for, automatically losing conference affiliation, certainly Nebraska doesn't have the clout in the Big Ten to keep the conference from trying to punish them, maybe expel them. But ask yourself if that would be true if Ohio State did the same thing. You really think the Big Ten would expel Ohio State for that kind of behavior?

As I said before, I too am skeptical about any sports being played before next fall.

But the Big 10 laid out the easiest way to play this fall: Pay a $50 million exit fee and play whoever will play you. Should be interesting since pretty much everyone else is saying they're playing conference only schedules.

Bottom line, you join a club, you either play by the rules or you go join a different club.

I think Nebraska's point on "play by the rules" was that they joined a football conference and the rules or expectations were that you would play football. If the conference doesn't want to play football, it should be fair to let them seek other teams to play. I imagine Nebraska will fall in line, in large part because of the difficulties you cite in finding opponents. But they at least inquired of the Big 12 if they would consider letting them play this year and got a negative response. It would be a lot more interesting if the Big 12 had said yes.

Personally, I will be skeptical if any football will be played at all until 2021. But regardless, when you play in a conference, you abide by it's rules, which includes media rights and scheduling.

While Texas may be used to getting its own way in the Big 12 -- which is a large part of the reason Nebraska, Mizzou and aTm are no longer a part of that conference. But the rules in the Big 10 are more strict when it comes to adherence.

The Big Ten is more strict on teams like Nebraska, but would they be as strict on Ohio State if Ohio State went "rogue" like Nebraska at least considered? Are there many scenarios where the Big Ten expels Ohio State? Nebraska sure, they aren't well liked in the Big Ten and have zero clout there, but Ohio State?

I think Nebraska's point on "play by the rules" was that they joined a football conference and the rules or expectations were that you would play football. If the conference doesn't want to play football, it should be fair to let them seek other teams to play. I imagine Nebraska will fall in line, in large part because of the difficulties you cite in finding opponents. But they at least inquired of the Big 12 if they would consider letting them play this year and got a negative response. It would be a lot more interesting if the Big 12 had said yes.
I totally agree that Nebraska belongs in the Big 12.

The Big Ten is more strict on teams like Nebraska, but would they be as strict on Ohio State if Ohio State went "rogue" like Nebraska at least considered? Are there many scenarios where the Big Ten expels Ohio State? Nebraska sure, they aren't well liked in the Big Ten and have zero clout there, but Ohio State?
Well, I'm definitely of the belief that every conference has its "darlings" they kowtow to. So I wouldn't be surprised if they were treated with kids gloves in that scenario.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT