ADVERTISEMENT

Need to lock down Frank (II) for awhile

No bigger supporter of Ray Tanner than me...But let's be honest, at his core, he is a penny pincher...Frank Martin got an extension last season...He might get a raise this season...He is certainly deserving...But don't expect a lock him down kind of contract...It's not Ray Tanner's nature..Gotta control Frank Martin in case he gets upset on the sidelines and cusses a ref out or something

Reactions: 67gamecock
Frank has been the best thing for this BB team and university since Frank McGuire.
We need to show confidence in his future and lock his contract up.
Does anyone know what kind of relationship Frank has with these kids of the court? Serious question. I ask because all I can see is his courtside manner, which is fine as long as he's affirming players in addition to chewing them out.

I had coaches who absolutely rode my a$$ in practice and games, but then I knew away from the game they would go to bat for me in a heartbeat. Just wondering if it's the same with Frank.

Coppin State and Richmond say hello
Right. And let's make sure they don't pop in for another visit before we declare Frank to have surpassed Fogler's accomplishments here.

All Frank has to do is win an NCAA tournament game to earn the title of best Gamecock basketball coach since McGuire, and I think he will. But let's wait until it actually happens before bestowing that title on him.

Does anyone know what kind of relationship Frank has with these kids of the court? Serious question. I ask because all I can see is his courtside manner, which is fine as long as he's affirming players in addition to chewing them out.

I had coaches who absolutely rode my a$$ in practice and games, but then I knew away from the game they would go to bat for me in a heartbeat. Just wondering if it's the same with Frank.

Are you serious? Most Gamecock fans know this already. Not being a smart a$$ because by your screen name it appears you may not be a Gamecock fan so let's just say ..............based on all the articles we've read, and all the articles of players and former players discussing their love for Martin and how he teaches them more about life than about basketball, I'd say he's on solid ground there. Best coach I ever had would grab you by the facemask and jerk you around and yell at you. Taught us how to be young men and carry ourselves with class and dignity.

So to your question (and believe me, early on before Martin had been here a few years I had this same question on my mind).......Yes, he has a very good relationship with most players.

I was being cynical...That suspension of CFM 2 yrs ago was bush league BS...Gotta let Coaches coach..It is not a daycare center

Emphatic co-sign!

I think if Frank wins 1 game in the tournament he and this team are debatable as the best of all time. Should he win 2 games in the tourney, thereby reaching the sweet 16, then there is no argument, #1.

Uh.....how old are you?

I was being cynical...That suspension of CFM 2 yrs ago was bush league BS...Gotta let Coaches coach..It is not a daycare center
It was the "@sshole" comment to a player on live TV that caused the suspension. He was pissed off & got caught up in the moment. Still no doubt in my mind that he truly cares about his players.

If we reach the sweet 16 we would match the highest level of post season success in the history of our program and as it stands now a chance to have the most single season wins; what historical Gamecock team has a better resume?

Did you notice how quickly FM came to the aid of Felder when he got in trouble?

Kinda hard to help guys who shoot up the town with bb guns.

I maybe mistaken but I thought a few people on here was calling for franks head not to long ago and tanners as well..winning is cure all I guess...

Reactions: whythis28
Are you serious? Most Gamecock fans know this already. Not being a smart a$$ because by your screen name it appears you may not be a Gamecock fan so let's just say ..............based on all the articles we've read, and all the articles of players and former players discussing their love for Martin and how he teaches them more about life than about basketball, I'd say he's on solid ground there. Best coach I ever had would grab you by the facemask and jerk you around and yell at you. Taught us how to be young men and carry ourselves with class and dignity.

So to your question (and believe me, early on before Martin had been here a few years I had this same question on my mind).......Yes, he has a very good relationship with most players.
It was a serious question, absolutely nothing implied. I'm a huge Gamecock fan and alumnus, but with 3 kids under 6 at home and a busy job with a long commute I've only been so invested since 2010. Just no time to spend hours on FGF or reading articles like I used to, and I'm lucky if I can catch a whole quarter of football uninterrupted.

I'm in Franks's corner; I only wanted to know what the players think or have said about our coach off the court. Sorry if my question came off the wrong way.

Any of the Roche led teams would walk the dog on this one.

today's athletes are so much stronger faster and fitter, the Roche teams would not have a chance...They were certainly greater and more accomplished in their era...Logic says leave them there...Give this team their due...If you think Cremins and Roche could guard Thornwell and Dozier you are just being silly

I maybe mistaken but I thought a few people on here was calling for franks head not to long ago and tanners as well..winning is cure all I guess...
I remember that too. A lot of gamecock fans have mental health issues. Fire the coach, erect a statue of the coach, he needs to go, he's the greatest of all time.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

Reactions: bosoxcock
today's athletes are so much stronger faster and fitter, the Roche teams would not have a chance...They were certainly greater and more accomplished in their era...Logic says leave them there...Give this team their due...If you think Cremins and Roche could guard Thornwell and Dozier you are just being silly

I'll agree to disagree with you.

I do not see anybody transferring, trying to get away from Coach Martin, so I guess they like being part of the basketball program. I would imaging coach Martin tells the potential student athlete his style of leadership and what to expect before they accept a scholarship.

Frank is an outstanding coach and so was Eddie Fogler. I am so looking forward to the NCAAT this year. I don't care where we're playing; I'm there.

Reactions: rogue cock
Frank is an outstanding coach and so was Eddie Fogler. I am so looking forward to the NCAAT this year. I don't care where we're playing; I'm there.
I agree on both...If Fogler had the stomach for the mess AAU ball made of the recruiting process he would still be coaching and winning championships...He once remarked that he got nauseous over what was required to recruit today's players...That's the real reason Fogler stepped away and never looked back..

It was a serious question, absolutely nothing implied. I'm a huge Gamecock fan and alumnus, but with 3 kids under 6 at home and a busy job with a long commute I've only been so invested since 2010. Just no time to spend hours on FGF or reading articles like I used to, and I'm lucky if I can catch a whole quarter of football uninterrupted.

I'm in Franks's corner; I only wanted to know what the players think or have said about our coach off the court. Sorry if my question came off the wrong way.

Hey, I totally get it. Hope I didn't come off as a smart arse. I thought you might be a casual fan based on your screen name. Like I said, I had those same questions his first year or two here. I couldn't imagine today's kids would like being yelled at. I've yelled at my kids, but love them more than life itself. If Martin has that attitude, his players know it and respond well.

BTW, I have been where you are in my life. My youngest just graduated from college, so it wasn't so long ago I was having to miss SC/Clemsux games for wrestling tournaments. My problem is, I though I'd be more free at this point in my life.......but now I'm raising grandkids:)

Reactions: nlstanford

I follow Frank and some of the players on Twitter. Frank is always joking around with them on twitter and giving them words of advice.

From top to bottom this is probably the most talented USC team since some of the George Felton teams back in the late 80's.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
Disclaimer... I like Frank. Don't get me wrong. We are winning but we have looked less than stellar against some weak opponents. He hasn't done anything yet that makes me think he is better than Fogler.

Reactions: gamecockrealist
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT