ADVERTISEMENT

Never thought I’d see free tickets for all in my lifetime....

Free tickets are nice but if only they offered free gas and food to go with it.

Going to rain so attendance will still be extremely low. I wager half those getting free tickets dont show when they wake up and its pouring rain.

I still don’t see why they didn’t say hold on to your tickets and we will honor Marshall tickets at the Akron game. They did this for 9/11 and the Bowling Green tickets were used for the Wofford game.

I don't know if this is any indication how bad attendance will be, but I just got the email for the menu in premium seating they send out before every game. There is only 15 people (including me) on the email list. There is usually thousands on this list. I don't know if only 15 people in The Zone re-purchased tickets or what.

I still don’t see why they didn’t say hold on to your tickets and we will honor Marshall tickets at the Akron game. They did this for 9/11 and the Bowling Green tickets were used for the Wofford game.

....Because at that time they didn't know if they were going to have a make up game. It took forever for things to play out and schedule the game. Therefore they went ahead and refunded the money. Imagine the outrage had Gamecock Club kept money any longer than it had to. Or if they said keep your tickets to the Marshall game, announced it to fall on Dec 1st, and that just happened to be when you're out of town on business, vacation, or can't go for various reasons. Then you're out money for tickets for something you can't attend. Better to go ahead and refund money now, that way you have options going forward. Pretty thoughtful if you ask me.

....Because at that time they didn't know if they were going to have a make up game. It took forever for things to play out and schedule the game. Therefore they went ahead and refunded the money. Imagine the outrage had Gamecock Club kept money any longer than it had to. Or if they said keep your tickets to the Marshall game, announced it to fall on Dec 1st, and that just happened to be when you're out of town on business, vacation, or can't go for various reasons. Then you're out money for tickets for something you can't attend. Better to go ahead and refund money now, that way you have options going forward. Pretty thoughtful if you ask me.

Thoughtful yes. Great business decision probably not.

There was no chance they would not have a makeup game...unless you believe the “we’re preparing for the SEC championship” argument.

We had to schedule one just to ensure bowl eligibility. I know we’re good but had the 4th quarter of Tennessee or Ole Miss went differently, we would need the win to qualify for a bowl.

Guess you keep people happy that don’t want to go but now you need to sell 80,000 people on a garbage game in the rain after the Clem Tech game.

Had we exchanged tickets 80,000 would already be sold, except for the refund for Marshall people.

I don't know if this is any indication how bad attendance will be, but I just got the email for the menu in premium seating they send out before every game. There is only 15 people (including me) on the email list. There is usually thousands on this list. I don't know if only 15 people in The Zone re-purchased tickets or what.

Thoughtful, maybe, but that's not the way it usually works. If you have a ticket to a sporting event that gets cancelled or postponed for weather, you either use that ticket as a "rain check" ticket on the makeup date or you exchange that ticket for another game. I've had plenty of tickets to MLB games that were cancelled due to rain. I was always able to exchange those tickets for future games, but I don't recall ever being offered a refund. Ever had tickets to a Sunday NASCAR race that was moved to Monday? NASCAR doesn't really care if Monday fits your schedule - enjoy your Monday race.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
We're about to find out what it costs to cancel a playable game.
Yes. It turned out to be playable but that was very much in question early in the week when the decision was made. There were many plausible reasons at that time for a cancellation. Most on this board agreed and raked the clemmers over the coals for their decision to play Looking back and Monday morning quarterbacking is easy but when the game and conditions are looking very questionable it's tough on the decision maker. A keyboard expert several weeks later is easy. Besides it gives those who revel in low attendance another chance to gloat and no doubt they will be posting with glee next week. Strange behavior for "supporters" to use.

Obviously there have been a couple of years where schools have had to cancel because of hurricanes. It looks like the NCAA could do something (and I don't know if there is or not) to accommodate teams that have had to cancel games because of hurricanes. Maybe start the Championship Games one week later. Maybe there is no good solution to this problem but I firmly believe there will be more of these type situations in the future.

You know they had to make the Akron tix face value higher
I'm not sure about the "had to" make them higher, but now the University is losing money on the game, because they refunded the Marshall tickets and are now offering free Akron tickets. Doing what everyone else does when there is a schedule change, as others mentioned your previous game ticket becomes your rain check (use it or lose it), the University isn't out money.

Thoughtful yes. Great business decision probably not.

There was no chance they would not have a makeup game...unless you believe the “we’re preparing for the SEC championship” argument.

We had to schedule one just to ensure bowl eligibility. I know we’re good but had the 4th quarter of Tennessee or Ole Miss went differently, we would need the win to qualify for a bowl.

Guess you keep people happy that don’t want to go but now you need to sell 80,000 people on a garbage game in the rain after the Clem Tech game.

Had we exchanged tickets 80,000 would already be sold, except for the refund for Marshall people.

No, not a great business decision, but that doesn't seem to be what the administration was thinking about for once. On the flip side, we have our university make a decision in favor of the fans and there are still people complaining. And honestly, if they had told everyone to keep their tickets from the Marshall game, would people still be going anyway? It's on a date nobody had penciled in for football, it's going to be cold and rainy, against a crap opponent, on the weekend after Clemson.

I just don't think that we would see that much more attendance had they kept the tickets. If you really cared about going to the Marshall game, then it seems to me you would make time and buy tickets for the Akron game. Otherwise you have nothing to complain about.

Thoughtful, maybe, but that's not the way it usually works. If you have a ticket to a sporting event that gets cancelled or postponed for weather, you either use that ticket as a "rain check" ticket on the makeup date or you exchange that ticket for another game. I've had plenty of tickets to MLB games that were cancelled due to rain. I was always able to exchange those tickets for future games, but I don't recall ever being offered a refund. Ever had tickets to a Sunday NASCAR race that was moved to Monday? NASCAR doesn't really care if Monday fits your schedule - enjoy your Monday race.

I agree, not usually the way it works. But so what? I'd rather have my money back. Yes, USC took a hit in their pockets, but I thought it was the right thing to do. Everyone had a chance to purchase Akron tickets. If you didn't I suppose you didn't care that much in the first place? Or maybe it didn't fit your schedule?

I have a co-worker who bought Akron tickets about 2 weeks ago. Now that he knows it's going to be crappy weather, he's not going. I have another co-worker who was given 4 tickets. He had planned on going but something came up and they are only using 2 of them. I just don't see the big deal.

I cannot imagine the anger I would have if I purchased my regular seats for this game. Would I have gotten a refund since everyone else got free tickets?

Guess no one has an excuse for not attending now.

Bernie Sanders would be proud....sorry couldn’t resist. First time ever making a political reference.

It is a lot easier to give some tickets away when you are already guaranteed a certain amount of income through insurance policy.

The tickets had to be refunded per an agreement with the insurance company.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

Insurance policy also covered concessions and other gameday income.

Ray said on the radio that the university will keep the difference between proceeds from the Akron game and what the insurance pay-out was. The insurance payout will be the higher of the two without a doubt.

Very good business planning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT