ADVERTISEMENT

New football staffs in the SEC

OldWiseCock

Apr 3, 2019
Columbia
Who helped themselves the most?

Missouri, Ole Miss or Arkansas?

Missouri hired Eli Drinkwitz from App State. (former OC at NCSU)

Ole Miss hired Lane Kiffin. He hasn't made any splash hires yet. That would change if he hired Mike MacIntyre as his DC.

Sam Pittman has hired Barry Odom as his DC and appears to be getting ready to hire Kendal Briles as his OC. He is taking a more CEO role and hiring the best assistants available.

Doesnt matter who he hires. Ole Miss is the most attractive place for most any recruit amongst the three schools. Plus Lane will recruit well. Get the better players and amazing how the coaches are suddenly geniuses.

Doesnt matter who he hires. Ole Miss is the most attractive place for most any recruit amongst the three schools. Plus Lane will recruit well. Get the better players and amazing how the coaches are suddenly geniuses.
I've noticed Miss St and Ole Miss are revolving doors for JuCos. Is that because their academic standards are lower?

I've noticed Miss St and Ole Miss are revolving doors for JuCos. Is that because their academic standards are lower?
There are 13 junior college football teams in Mississippi.. It's the only reason.

Ole Miss hired Lane Kiffin. He hasn't made any splash hires yet. That would change if he hired Mike MacIntyre as his DC.

Sam Pittman has hired Barry Odom as his DC and appears to be getting ready to hire Kendal Briles as his OC. He is taking a more CEO role and hiring the best assistants available.

Arki and it is not close. Pittman is sort of an average hire I guess but Odom is rock solid as DC! People may not like the name “Briles” but he can call some ball plays, and by all indications most all of the bad stuff that went down at Baylor was his father’s doing... Kind of not fair that he has been tied so closely to it and seemingly somewhat penalized for it. It is hard to believe Kendal did not have some knowledge/ some hand in what went down at Baylor- but he has only been accused of saying some Inappropriate things to recruits and he was never directly implicated or proven to have done much of anything wrong. He seems to be one Hell of a good OC..
I do not have any faith in the Mizzou hire- Drinkowitz inherited a great team at App St and only kept them on the rails for one season right? Never had to rebuild a program, start from scratch and recruit at an SEC level... I mean MAYBE it works out?? Seems like a long shot to me.

my thoughts on Lane have been well documented in dozens of posts in threads people made on here calling for him to be our coach. I think any major program who hires him is absolutely insane and gambling with their program’s integrity to get a guy who has only had some success of any sort of consistency at one of four head coaching gigs? What is so appealing about this guy? He is a lying, cheating, pos whiney cry baby who only got into coaching because his dad was in the profession, knew people and jumped on staffs with him to help him get a leg up. He does not deserve this shot, he should still be radioactive to any honorable program and the fact they snapped him up only further proves how thin the available candidates were this year. He is going from a cream puff conference into the most difficult division of the hardest conference in CFB and taking over a team that is not one of the perennial powers. How is he going to compete with Bama, LSU, Auburn and TAMU? He is NOT going to. 6-6, 7-5 seasons are about all they can hope for- baring some blatant cheating, which we know Ole Miss is not opposed to so maybe that is the plan, they certainly hired the right man to carry it out if it is. I expect either failure if they stay within the rules or a massive scandal and sanctions soon after if they cheat again like they did with Freeze. JMHO

Arki and it is not close. Pittman is sort of an average hire I guess but Odom is rock solid as DC! People may not like the name “Briles” but he can call some ball plays, and by all indications most all of the bad stuff that went down at Baylor was his father’s doing... Kind of not fair that he has been tied so closely to it and seemingly somewhat penalized for it. It is hard to believe Kendal did not have some knowledge/ some hand in what went down at Baylor- but he has only been accused of saying some Inappropriate things to recruits and he was never directly implicated or proven to have done much of anything wrong. He seems to be one Hell of a good OC..
I do not have any faith in the Mizzou hire- Drinkowitz inherited a great team at App St and only kept them on the rails for one season right? Never had to rebuild a program, start from scratch and recruit at an SEC level... I mean MAYBE it works out?? Seems like a long shot to me.

my thoughts on Lane have been well documented in dozens of posts in threads people made on here calling for him to be our coach. I think any major program who hires him is absolutely insane and gambling with their program’s integrity to get a guy who has only had some success of any sort of consistency at one of four head coaching gigs? What is so appealing about this guy? He is a lying, cheating, pos whiney cry baby who only got into coaching because his dad was in the profession, knew people and jumped on staffs with him to help him get a leg up. He does not deserve this shot, he should still be radioactive to any honorable program and the fact they snapped him up only further proves how thin the available candidates were this year. He is going from a cream puff conference into the most difficult division of the hardest conference in CFB and taking over a team that is not one of the perennial powers. How is he going to compete with Bama, LSU, Auburn and TAMU? He is NOT going to. 6-6, 7-5 seasons are about all they can hope for- baring some blatant cheating, which we know Ole Miss is not opposed to so maybe that is the plan, they certainly hired the right man to carry it out if it is. I expect either failure if they stay within the rules or a massive scandal and sanctions soon after if they cheat again like they did with Freeze. JMHO

All of these teams lack enough good talent. It matters not what plays they call, if they can’t recruit none will be there very long.

I live to read the simpletons like GamecockLifer, that somehow are offended by Kiffen. He did a much better job than he should have, and had UT much more competitive than expected his one year there. Sure he got fired at USC, but that was a direct reflect of scholarship reductions to pay for the sins on the Pete Carrol era. Did a pretty fair job calling plays at Bama. Is FAU Power 5? No. But football is football, no matter the level. He took over a struggling program and got them pretty good at their level. So I dont really understand the "integrity" charge that some want to hang on him. Is he divorced? Yes. Does it appear that he likes to run the ladies every now and then? Absolutely. Well if we banned all coaches on the college level that stayed from the marital bed, you would have a hard time putting a decent staff together. And GamecockLifer, your screen name implies that you are a Gamecock for life. Then some of the actions, and wicked, wicked, ways of some of the past coaches at USC must no doubt make you debate whether you can take that lack of integrity, or not.

Some of the better jucos just happen to be in Mississippi...
The fact these two programs usually aren't very good is an indication that you can't just plug in some guys for one or two years and expect that to fix your problems.

The fact these two programs usually aren't very good is an indication that you can't just plug in some guys for one or two years and expect that to fix your problems.
K State seems to be the only one that's had success with that.

Saban is a short-timer also. When he goes, things will open up over in the West.

Ole miss will be bowl bound next year.

Poverty level? I don't know.

I'm not even aware of a Junior College in SC or NC today. Now, I'm not counting Community Colleges. There use to be two Junior Colleges in SC years ago and they were the only two Junior Colleges I was aware of in SC. One was North Greenville Jr. College, I attended there, and Anderson Junior College.

Ole miss will be bowl bound next year.
You can make a bowl game now with a sub .500 record, so "making a bowl game" isn't that big of a deal. And yes I realize we didn't make it, but this post isn't about USC. My guess Lane will be the first of these 3 hires to get fired. Ole Piss fans believe they should be better than average, but reality says otherwise. So they'll fire him in year 4/5. The other two schools will try to stick it out a little longer.

I'm not even aware of a Junior College in SC or NC today. Now, I'm not counting Community Colleges. There use to be two Junior Colleges in SC years ago and they were the only two Junior Colleges I was aware of in SC. One was North Greenville Jr. College, I attended there, and Anderson Junior College.

Was Spartanburg JC also. Had rivalry game with us in basketball when I was at NGJC.

The Odom and Briles hires by Pittman are a coup. Two great coaches with chips on their shoulders. Speaks very highly of Pittman that he was able to land their services.

I love the Kiffin hire at Ole Miss but Pittman's OC and DC hires have wowed me.
I think this is the right answer. Not sure about Drinkwitz at Mizzo, but I thought he did a good job as OC at NCSU and his one year at App State.

Did I hear that Matt Luke went to UGA as the offensive line coach?

The technical colleges fill that role in SC. I just noticed that Carnegie doesn’t use “junior college” anymore, instead it’s “associates college”

I live to read the simpletons like GamecockLifer, that somehow are offended by Kiffen. He did a much better job than he should have, and had UT much more competitive than expected his one year there. Sure he got fired at USC, but that was a direct reflect of scholarship reductions to pay for the sins on the Pete Carrol era. Did a pretty fair job calling plays at Bama. Is FAU Power 5? No. But football is football, no matter the level. He took over a struggling program and got them pretty good at their level. So I dont really understand the "integrity" charge that some want to hang on him. Is he divorced? Yes. Does it appear that he likes to run the ladies every now and then? Absolutely. Well if we banned all coaches on the college level that stayed from the marital bed, you would have a hard time putting a decent staff together. And GamecockLifer, your screen name implies that you are a Gamecock for life. Then some of the actions, and wicked, wicked, ways of some of the past coaches at USC must no doubt make you debate whether you can take that lack of integrity, or not.

Lol....I missed the part where Lifer mentioned his infidelity. Kiffen and cheating go hand in hand. He had a decent year at UT bc daddy and daddy’s buddy Ed O joined that staff. Ed O is known for cheating.

But now the media has basically turned Kiffen into a rock star so he will be able to recruit. He is also a good play caller. I could care less about his infidelity. Like Archie Bunker said.....”let he who is without chunk the first rock.” So without knowing Lifer......doubt that was his angle cause Kiffen created his own problems in the football world. With that said.....I would hire him

Reactions: Clevercock3
Was Spartanburg JC also. Had rivalry game with us in basketball when I was at NGJC.

Yes, I forgot about them but you are correct. But when I was at NGJC, '65-'67, I don't recall playing Spartanburg JC in basketball. That's not to say we didn't but I don't recall playing them.

Last edited:
At least we kept muschump....lol. We have a loser football program thanks to our board and AD. We will be another year behind in 2020. #notadime

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT