columbia
22 Watkins of CN stays the same #13
Cooper of E Clarendon drops 10 to #18
23 Fulwiley from Keenan moves up to #2
Emma Risch #52 superior 3 pt shooter
Also Ashynn Shade #5 plays at Ty Harris’ HS. Don’t know if we have offered
24 JOYCE EDWARDS CAMDEN DEBUTS AT

Last edited:
Mary Ashley Groot of Cardinal Newman is #38. The Groot family is well connected at the university. Seems like the type of player Dawn might offer. Not every player on the roster can be a top 10 recruit, though we're coming pretty close to that happening. lol

Mary Ashley Groot of Cardinal Newman is #38. The Groot family is well connected at the university. Seems like the type of player Dawn might offer. Not every player on the roster can be a top 10 recruit, though we're coming pretty close to that happening. lol
Thanks! Any updates on Stack? Or others we have offered or have interest?

Groot is listed as being in school in Connecticut. Did she transfer to or from CN?
She played at Cardinal Newman last year, but I believe she transferred in from a school in Connecticut. She also plays on a club team in New York City. I don't believe money is an issue for her family.

I've seen her as high as #17 in some rankings.

Success at the next level for her, IMO, will depend on her developing a consistent 3 point shot.

Reactions: rogue cock
22 Watkins of CN stays the same #13
Cooper of E Clarendon drops 10 to #18
23 Fulwiley from Keenan moves up to #2
Emma Risch #52 superior 3 pt shooter
Also Ashynn Shade #5 plays at Ty Harris’ HS. Don’t know if we have offered
24 JOYCE EDWARDS CAMDEN DEBUTS AT
Watkins moved up to 12

She played at Cardinal Newman last year, but I believe she transferred in from a school in Connecticut. She also plays on a club team in New York City. I don't believe money is an issue for her family.

I've seen her as high as #17 in some rankings.

Success at the next level for her, IMO, will depend on her developing a consistent 3 point shot.

I’ll go out on a limb and say she would either be a walk-on or a late signee to what would have been an empty scholarship…at best. She doesn’t appear nearly athletic enough to play SEC ball…unless my eyes deceive me and she’s 6’6.

I’ll go out on a limb and say she would either be a walk-on or a late signee to what would have been an empty scholarship…at best. She doesn’t appear nearly athletic enough to play SEC ball…unless my eyes deceive me and she’s 6’6.
She can play SEC ball, I promise you. Could she play meaningful minutes for USC? I don't know about that...not many players can.

She doesn't look 6'6, and we didn't see any defense from her. Although I will say she threw her body into that defender on the right block. Looks like she's not afraid of contact and plays controlled. She'll be a good college player for someone.

She doesn't look 6'6, and we didn't see any defense from her. Although I will say she threw her body into that defender on the right block. Looks like she's not afraid of contact and plays controlled. She'll be a good college player for someone.
MaxPreps has her at 6'2", which means 6'1" tops. She does have good body control, but not the size for that position (unless she wants to hit the weight room and be a Corlis Williamson-esqe player).

Reactions: Silver_Coconut
MaxPreps has her at 6'2", which means 6'1" tops. She does have good body control, but not the size for that position (unless she wants to hit the weight room and be a Corlis Williamson-esqe player).
Shes not weak, looks to be a decent passer. Takes her time with the ball. Again, we didnt see any defense, so it may be possible she can defend 3 or 4 positions. I just don't know that to be the case or not.

This conversation is why I think we should pay attention to Emma Risch. She is ranked in the 50’s but she is a 6’0” guard with enough athleticism and quickness to be on the court with all our wunderkinds. By several sources she is considered the best 3pt shooter in her class. DS offered almost two years ago.

Reactions: redrogers
This conversation is why I think we should pay attention to Emma Risch. She is ranked in the 50’s but she is a 6’0” guard with enough athleticism and quickness to be on the court with all our wunderkinds. By several sources she is considered the best 3pt shooter in her class. DS offered almost two years ago.
In the short video I've seen of Risch, she's got new school game. Long lean, good handles, good long set shot, good mid game. One thing though, I don't see her finishing at the rim. That may not be her game.

Shes not weak, looks to be a decent passer. Takes her time with the ball. Again, we didnt see any defense, so it may be possible she can defend 3 or 4 positions. I just don't know that to be the case or not.
You are right, it’s hard to project too much from the video of her. But, just from seeing 3-4 mins of her movement in/around the post, coupled with her size and skills, makes me think she isn’t nearly the type of player Dawn goes after. She will definitely be able to play for someone in college, but I’m not sure her ceiling leads her here. Best of luck to her!

Reactions: Silver_Coconut
You are right, it’s hard to project too much from the video of her. But, just from seeing 3-4 mins of her movement in/around the post, coupled with her size and skills, makes me think she isn’t nearly the type of player Dawn goes after. She will definitely be able to play for someone in college, but I’m not sure her ceiling leads her here. Best of luck to her!
It's probably her size that will hold her back. Unless she's a freak defender, I tend to agree with you.

What an amazing place we are in, regarding WBB recruiting. A top 40 prospect ten minutes from campus. She is coached by a former player. And here we are legitimately discussing whether she is talented enough to help us.

99% of the fan bases would be saying this is a program defining recruit. If we can’t keep her at home what are we doing

Groot would be better off to go elsewhere - the Thompson girl should transfer if she ever wants any playing time. I remember them making a big deal out of her receiving a full scholarship but what I don’t understand if she’s good enough to be full Scholarship why is she only averaging about 2 minutes a game.

Groot would be better off to go elsewhere - the Thompson girl should transfer if she ever wants any playing time. I remember them making a big deal out of her receiving a full scholarship but what I don’t understand if she’s good enough to be full Scholarship why is she only averaging about 2 minutes a game.
With the talent Dawn has, Thompson can't break into the lineup. She is very talented but not as mobile and quick as the other guards. At the guard position she does not handle the ball. The main concern with Groot, is can she play defense and can she create her own shot.

At this point, it's a must. This video does not show much in that she is dominating at private school play. I'd like to see her at AAU play.

Don't know enough yet about Groot to be anywhere near able to make that assessment. Just discovered who she is today. She is ranked higher than Kiki or Saxton were.

Thompson came here knowing she would never start or get significant playing time. She came at a time when the roster was low and was rewarded. She has been a die hard gamecock her whole life. My guess is she will stay this year, graduate early and transfer to a mid major.

The game in the video is against state champ Keenan who has Malayasia Fulwiley the #2 player in the 2023 class

Groot was invited to try out for USA Basketball. Like you stated earlier, it's crazy that we've reached the point where we're debating whether a player of her caliber is worth offering or not. Good times.

With the talent Dawn has, Thompson can't break into the lineup. She is very talented but not as mobile and quick as the other guards. At the guard position she does not handle the ball. The main concern with Groot, is can she play defense and can she create her own shot.
Then why put her on scholarship?

Reactions: dreuscock
Then why put her on scholarship?
WBB has more scholarships than MBB. I believe 15. Next season will only be the second time DS has used her full allotment of scholarships. Often she has had three or more scholarships unused. Last year we only had 11 on scholarship.

DS rarely even takes walkons, India Farmer is the only other one I can think of. She was instate and played AAU ball with a number of girls we were recruiting.

OT was the 4A player of the year SC, had a 4.0 in HS. She approached DS and said she wanted to walk on here rather than accept any of the 20 some odd offers she had from mid majors.

Why in the world would you not let her walk on? Smart, talented, burning desire to be a Gamecock, great teammate, and clearly understood what her role would be. Kid made conscious sacrifices to be a part of the team.

You want someone like that on your team and you want her on scholarship.

Will Dawn sign Watkins and Fulwiley?
Neither has given any public hints. From what I know from sources, I would be very surprised if Watkins isn’t a gamecock.

Fulwiley is a little more up in the air from what I hear. She is an electric talent. There are however some concerns academically and with social maturity.

DS really wants her, but she isn’t going to mess this empire up with a recruit with too many issues

I wouldn't count Thompson out. The main reason she doesn't play much, IMO, is that she hasn't shown the ability to hit 3's consistently when given the chance to play. If she ever develops into a deadly outside shooter, then I think Dawn could live her limitations, especially now that we added Cardoso.

Reactions: coolcock2001
I wouldn't count Thompson out. The main reason she doesn't play much, IMO, is that she hasn't shown the ability to hit 3's consistently when given the chance to play. If she ever develops into a deadly outside shooter, then I think Dawn could live her limitations, especially now that we added Cardoso.
She's a defensive liability as well, but yeah she has to have a Lindsey Spann sort of consistency, shooting 40%+ to expect any real playing time. The more players we can get to extend the defense the better off we will be.

Reactions: DarkCock
She's a defensive liability as well, but yeah she has to have a Lindsey Spann sort of consistency, shooting 40%+ to expect any real playing time. The more players we can get to extend the defense the better off we will be.
Definitely a defensive liability. That's why she must be a lights out 3 point shooter to justify playing her. There are going to be times when Boston and Cardoso are on the court at the same time and opposing teams will have little choice but to pack the paint. That's a great opportunity for a 3 point shooter. On the defensive end, Dawn could play zone with that lineup. But we know she doesn't like to, so Thompson has to make the most of her minutes. With the all quality players we'll have next year, she'll only have so many opportunities.

Reactions: Gamekem
Did 5 star hometown prospect Ashlyn Watkins announce a top 3 teams yesterday - that did not include us ?

Did 5 star hometown prospect Ashlyn Watkins announce a top 3 teams yesterday - that did not include us ?

According to the page that posted this, they claim that these 3 schools are just some of the schools that have recruited her(not her top3). Which to me seems odd because USC would be what you want to put on your list to draw more attention to the player over these other schools.

If this turns out to be true then that would be a huge blow to lose her,unless Dawn already has a lock on Janiah Barker the #2 prospect of the class, then I can see Watkins dropping us because of they play a similar position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT