ADVERTISEMENT

New investor with $10k....what you got?

Thanks....I'm comfortably retired with a small and manageable mortgage. I have excess savings (hence the $10k gamble). No outstanding debts or financial goals. Life is good, so the risk is almost 0.

I'd take a hard look at the DEFI infrastructure plays in Blockchain. It's still VERY early and if it fulfills it's proposition (which looks likely), it will be mind blowing. I personally like $AAVE, $ETH, $LINK and $UNI for starters.

Below is a related segment from Mark Cuban only hours ago: (pardon the salty language)

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust the stock market at this point. Had a huge run up over the last couple years. With a democratic administration in place they are going to strangle things with regulations and tax increases. And you can see inflation already starting. Put it in something that guarantees a return, no matter how small,

LOL. Yup. Never mind all the borrowing these last few years.

If it’s really play money, options are where the most fun is to be had and profit to be made.

If not options, in almost all cases it doesn’t do much good to “time” the market, but with a large chunk of fun money you could take risks and try to time buys. Pick a stock like Tesla and just set a buy limit as you see it drop and a sell limit when you buy in. You’d be up $400 or so today, had you bought in over the last few days.

Unless you are willing to lose everything, do not, do not, get involved with options. There is a steep learning curve

Reactions: hahnenkampf
I’m doing a lot of short term cd’s right now (6 months, 12 and 18 months). Interest rates for those aren’t too bad and I know I won’t be needing the money I put in them. I’ve bought a few stocks but my portfolio is pretty much the same as it’s always been. I like to play it safe with guaranteed returns.
May I ask where you are buying your CDs? I am considering doing the same thing.

Tips appreciated! Thanks!
If you actually have 10 grand and come to a site like this for advice as to how or what to invest in, well you are an idiot. These people, myself included cant even get through a day without bitching about coaches, players, direction, Tanner, without flipping out. Go to a reoutable site or firm to invest in your future. There is no future here.

Motley Fool suggests FVRR, Lmnd, GDRX, Open, Pins, Amzn, AAPL, ABNB, ATVI, Pypl, to name a few...

Everything I bought for last three months that made immediate gains have now fallen to a losing position in the last week and a half of trading days. Not a single one of my stocks made a gain yesterday.

Wait another week or so. But if you open a TDAmeritrade account, it will take a couple of days to get your account funded, so you may be getting in at a good time, now.

Reactions: roosterbell
Motley Fool suggests FVRR, Lmnd, GDRX, Open, Pins, Amzn, AAPL, ABNB, ATVI, Pypl, to name a few...

Everything I bought for last three months that made immediate gains have now fallen to a losing position in the last week and a half of trading days. Not a single one of my stocks made a gain yesterday.

Wait another week or so. But if you open a TDAmeritrade account, it will take a couple of days to get your account funded, so you may be getting in at a good time, now.
Have you seen OPEN as an actual pick in their regular service or do you have rulebreakers?

I have a membership to their regular service but can usually find what they're picking in some of the others. I've done very well with them over the last year or so. Just in the last year, I've picked up FIVERR at around $135, PINS under $40, LMND around $70, FLGT in the $40,s, and Magnite at $8.

A lot of people don't like Motley, but it was well worth the $100 I paid.

Last edited:

I'd throw in APPN and CRWD as well as the ones you've mentioned. They're down recently but have performed very well in the past year as Motley suggestions.

Have you seen OPEN as an actual pick in their regular service or do you have rulebreakers?

I have a membership to their regular service but can usually find what they're picking in some of the others. I've done very well with them over the last year or so. Just in the last year, I've picked up FIVERR at around $135, PINS under $40, LMND around $70, FLGT in the $40,s, and Magnite at $8.

A lot of people don't like Motley, but it was well worth the $100 I paid.

I saw the OPEN on the podcast that they ran a couple of weeks ago. They were talking about stocks that had 10x potential. Think it was Dave Gardner that said he had put it in his portfolio..

I have just the $100 entry level, also. I listened to most of the podcast a couple of weeks ago and picked up the GDRX, Pins, Open, and Regn. I bought FVRR and Lmnd back in Nov or Dec. Everything has been in a positive position until this week. My FVRR and Lmnd is still positive, but hanging on. I didn't get in as early as you did.

But, as they say, I am in for the long run and not just a quick pop...

I keep wondering if I am missing out on their other programs, but those just seem like a lot of money to get into in my opinion.

Maybe five or six of us should go in together and have one person sign up and distribute the information. We could be the Reddit's of Gamecock Central!!!! 🤑 🤑

@roosterbell ... so you are a Fool, also???

Last edited:
I have just the $100 entry level, also. I listened to most of the podcast a couple of weeks ago and picked up the GDRX, Pins, Open, and Regn. I bought FVRR and Lmnd back in Nov or Dec. Everything has been in a positive position until this week. My FVRR and Lmnd is still positive, but hanging on. I didn't get in as early as you did.

But, as they say, I am in for the long run and not just a quick pop...

I keep wondering if I am missing out on their other programs, but those just seem like a lot of money to get into in my opinion.

Maybe five or six of us should go in together and have one person sign up and distribute the information. We could be the Reddit's of Gamecock Central!!!! 🤑 🤑

@roosterbell ... so you are a Fool, also???
That's right. Probably in more than one way often times. But yeah I pay the $100 entry level as well. I made good returns off several on they're suggestions and I also follow Cathie Woods.

I let them do most of the leg work and research and they're usually pretty solid with their suggestions. Not only that, but the growth is perpetuated by the number of people that are doing what we're doing.

That's right. Probably in more than one way often times. But yeah I pay the $100 entry level as well. I made good returns off several on they're suggestions and I also follow Cathie Woods.

I let them do most of the leg work and research and they're usually pretty solid with their suggestions. Not only that, but the growth is perpetuated by the number of people that are doing what we're doing.

Just talked to a friend of mine that does the top Motley Fool program that costs $5,000 a year. He said that a recommended buy for Sleep Number - SNBR - came out yesterday. I bought some this morning just after opening when it dipped. Up $3.85 a share now....

Reactions: roosterbell

I’m a big proponent of the Random Walk theory, which basically says any person could randomly select companies and have an equal chance of success as the Wall Street advising/Wealth Mgmt folks. If one can resist the urge of get-rich-quick thinking and invest for the long term, that person will be very successful in the long term. My long-term strategy is to buy high dividend Business Development companies on their ex-dividend dates and a week prior to their next dividend declaration date (I keep a spreadsheet of historical dates and thus projected dates). I also buy them during market downturns. During the 2020 market collapse I bought thousands of shares at an 80 percent discount and as a result am earning an average 50 percent annual yield on the dividends. The majority of my income today comes from dividends from about 15 companies.

I finally got tired of losing money and went to Paul Mampilly's Profits Unlimited. One of my best trades was DDD. Got in early with 300 shares.

I'd take a hard look at the DEFI infrastructure plays in Blockchain. It's still VERY early and if it fulfills it's proposition (which looks likely), it will be mind blowing. I personally like $AAVE, $ETH, $LINK and $UNI for starters.

Below is a related segment from Mark Cuban only hours ago: (pardon the salty language)

Take a look at ZKIN. New DeFi launch just last week. It’s going to be huge.
Also, I’m spread across about 40 different positions in small caps I like a lot.
ive got a couple chunks into two lotto plays. NSPX and SANP. One has patents on a covid and cancer d4ug They are working to further strengthen the ip and partner with someone. The other is a coin stake for ADA and they also own 30% of DNA tags. This will be huge. Think QR code’s for product authentication but on a whole other level.
These are both penny plays and I’m holding about 1.5 million shares between em. Nspx was actually $1.13 last April and was over $3 20 months ago. If big pharma buys their Ip, we party big time. If it flounders I have lots of other holdings I’m excited about. Like HEXO in the cannabis field. Lots of talk that buying hexo now could be like buying coke at 25 cent. Also ZOM. New veterinary care play. Launching a new product March 30th that will revolutionize vet care and animal lab testing speed. I bought it at .16. It’s at 1.90. Was $2.90. But it’s head3d toward $10.

I think it's high. I'm willing to roll the dice. I got burned years ago in mutual funds, but conditions are very different for me now.

Thanks!

Here is an idea, Energy Transfer (symbol: ET) StockTwits: $ET. It is a mid cap value stock that owns and operate natural gas and oil infrastructure and the US. It also has terminals for the export of natural gas. It made a recent run from $6.30 to $8.00, but fell to $7.65 on Friday. It currently pays an 8 per cent dividend. According to Morningstar, it is still undervalued. Do your own due diligence. Oil and natural gas are not going away soon, no matter what the greens say.

Reactions: hahnenkampf
Buy SPAC's for the merger's like IOPE (SoFi), PSTH (Stripe? Bloomberg? Fidelity? Plaid?, CFA long shot?) BFT (PaySafe) DYMD (Genius Sports). If you missed out on Draftkings at $12 per share. Here is your chance with SportRadar

Would be playing the SPAC's where your risk down is $10.50 in commons and play the warrants and wait for a pop and if you don't like the merger DA or LOI, then sell it play it again with another pre-merger SPAC. SPAC's can be money in the bank on a down market while you wait. If the SPAC doesn't find a target in two years, you get the $10.50 back in commons, but your warrants go to zero. Warrants are a risk, but you buy warrants between $1.00 - $3.00 and when they merge, they can go as high as but they are called if the stock stays above $15 for 15 - 30 days.

CCIVW warrants went as high $40 a share before the rumor of merger with Lucid and you could have sold out of the warrants and make a nice gain form a couple of bucks at that time.

PSTH is another story Bill Ackman doubled his SPAC than the normal SPAC price of $10.50 his warrants of $3.00 The floor is $22.00 common shares and $6.00 for warrants. He has a better investor friendly SPAC. The youtube link below is a good break down on Bill's SPAC's and his Twitter pager just confirm if you're long on PSTH that you can get PSTH II on the cheap before it goes out to the public.

STARLINK Stock IPO Rumors via PSTH SPAC .. or PSTH2? Get ready for PSTB Bill Ackman and Elon Musk

Last edited:
Here is an idea, Energy Transfer (symbol: ET) StockTwits: $ET. It is a mid cap value stock that owns and operate natural gas and oil infrastructure and the US. It also has terminals for the export of natural gas. It made a recent run from $6.30 to $8.00, but fell to $7.65 on Friday. It currently pays an 8 per cent dividend. According to Morningstar, it is still undervalued. Do your own due diligence. Oil and natural gas are not going away soon, no matter what the greens say.

im gonna check out this ET. A question about dividends if you know the answer. 8% is crazy good. There’s another f7nd QYLD that has paid 10.99% div since it launched. Why do people say you can only expect 5% annual return on a large portfolio when here are 2 that pay way higher in div. ?
Granted qyld itself floats up and down. I’ve seen it from $19-24. Fairly stable. So say I put 1 mil in it at 24 and it floats to 19. At 11% div it s5ill generated 88k on 800k. Then the next year it floats back to 24 and I make 110k on 1 mil. So across those years I’ve averaged 99k on my mil so about 9.9%. That’s incredible. Even your ET at 8% is great.
I don’t see a big difference whether a fund pays a div or just gains value if im essentially cashing out th3 increase to live on the returns.

what am I missing here? If my sanp hits that 4 mil goes into about 4-5 high div positions for some diversification and if I can get 7-8%. Return we are more than golden.

im gonna check out this ET. A question about dividends if you know the answer. 8% is crazy good. There’s another f7nd QYLD that has paid 10.99% div since it launched. Why do people say you can only expect 5% annual return on a large portfolio when here are 2 that pay way higher in div. ?
Granted qyld itself floats up and down. I’ve seen it from $19-24. Fairly stable. So say I put 1 mil in it at 24 and it floats to 19. At 11% div it s5ill generated 88k on 800k. Then the next year it floats back to 24 and I make 110k on 1 mil. So across those years I’ve averaged 99k on my mil so about 9.9%. That’s incredible. Even your ET at 8% is great.
I don’t see a big difference whether a fund pays a div or just gains value if im essentially cashing out th3 increase to live on the returns.

what am I missing here? If my sanp hits that 4 mil goes into about 4-5 high div positions for some diversification and if I can get 7-8%. Return we are more than golden.

I have to admit I do not know anything about this one.
Global X NASDAQ 100 Covered Call ETF QYLD

I don't know anything about QYLD, but thanks for the referral. I do generally understand ET and that is why I am heavily invested in it and sticking with it. Wish I'd sold some this week, but market timing is tough. Good luck to you my friend.

Price on a chart today is much more about human behavior {versus economics/fundamentals} than ever before.

The age of social media gives you an incredibly deep insight into that human sentiment, the collective body that trades an asset class.

Great chart. All Asset Class Returns over the past 10 years. BTC could very well end up being a reserve currency at current pace. If so, price would follow into the millions.

I tried to help them. It is documented! Ironically Tesla is at its lowest point this year because of an Elon tweet and investment in bitcoin. He’s been known to tweet dumb stuff and the stock tumbles from time to time. Might be the perfect time to jump in it again though as rumors of a $25,000 Model 2 are heating up. With tax credits could be had in the US for as little as $19,000. Going to be a game changer when it happens.

So yeah on the day I posted this Tesla closed at $742. Today it is selling at $1,037 a share.

You have to spend money to make money. Some of you can’t buy the Tesla hype and you’re missing out on some good money.

Hertz buying up 100,000 Teslas is probably a sign other car rental dealerships will soon move to do the same. Profit margin is too huge to pass up.

So yeah on the day I posted this Tesla closed at $742. Today it is selling at $1,037 a share.

You have to spend money to make money. Some of you can’t buy the Tesla hype and you’re missing out on some good money.

Hertz buying up 100,000 Teslas is probably a sign other car rental dealerships will soon move to do the same. Profit margin is too huge to pass up.
Cool, you do that. I'll just continue to invest in real property. I'd like to see how many of y'all that invest in stocks have ever had a true failure in the market? I was a teenager when I saw my $10,000 turn into $500 by using this dumbass at Edward Jones. Of course my parents had to set everything up, but watching that one dumbass throw away my money was enough for me to say "I'm never going to be that dumb again!" He informed us the money was down to $1,200 or so and before we could close on everything, I got $500. If I would of seen that man somewhere outside of that office, I would of killed him and put him in the swamp!

• Haha
Reactions: Gamecockben1979

Plus Hertz is pay around $40,000 per car and no discounts.. Full price... And Hertz is renting out the Tesla's to Uber... This is a win win for everyone...

Other car companies may copy Tesla, but they can't be Tesla...

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Cool, you do that. I'll just continue to invest in real property. I'd like to see how many of y'all that invest in stocks have ever had a true failure in the market? I was a teenager when I saw my $10,000 turn into $500 by using this dumbass at Edward Jones. Of course my parents had to set everything up, but watching that one dumbass throw away my money was enough for me to say "I'm never going to be that dumb again!" He informed us the money was down to $1,200 or so and before we could close on everything, I got $500. If I would of seen that man somewhere outside of that office, I would of killed him and put him in the swamp!
Yeah bc there have never been any issues investing in property. This housing bubble is going to pop at some point. Just a matter of when and who is left out in the rain when it does.

There’s more than one way to make money. If it’s not for you it’s not for you.

Look you had a bad experience and I hate that for you. However if you do the research there’s no reason for a middle man today like there was back then.

Absolutely!! I’m always picking up shares of midstream MLPs

Plus Hertz is pay around $40,000 per car and no discounts.. Full price... And Hertz is renting out the Tesla's to Uber... This is a win win for everyone...

Other car companies may copy Tesla, but they can't be Tesla...
Figure in federal and state energy credits Hertz will receive along with the probability that Tesla will finance most of those purchases and the whole thing works out. Elon is brilliant at making money out of the energy credit markets (re: cap and trade blue states)

Tips appreciated! Thanks!
Crypto, specifically ethereum. Don't buy into the smaller ones, go with the established ones. Put a good chunk in bitcoin and a bigger chunk in ether. If you have some left over put it solana. best platforms for buying are etoro or a simple paypal account. This has the biggest risk i have seen but also the potential to see big gains.

Yeah bc there have never been any issues investing in property. This housing bubble is going to pop at some point. Just a matter of when and who is left out in the rain when it does.

There’s more than one way to make money. If it’s not for you it’s not for you.

Look you had a bad experience and I hate that for you. However if you do the research there’s no reason for a middle man today like there was back then.
Actually there hasn't been. Of course the RE market has peaks and valleys, but it always comes back stronger than before. Values dropped in 2008 with the recession, but came back higher than before by 2012. The thing you have to remember about RE is that you must be patient. It's not an investment for quick returns, but has a better upside than anything else with less risk. They aren't making any more land and there is ever increasing demand for it. The latest RE investment I cashed in on last year earned me a 25% IRR. I more than doubled my money in 5 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT