ADVERTISEMENT

New RB Coach

That sounds great. Why not teach them to break every tackle and score on every play. Some guys, just by physical makeup, can break tackles much better than others. Consequently, other guys are more suited to make people miss. The real good ones can do a bit of both. Not exactly something one can coach up.

I'm reading between the lines of what he actually says but what -I- heard was that he only wants to play the guys that have earned an opportunity to carry the ball. It sounded to me as if he didn't like a guy KNOWING he was going to get 5 or 6 carries in a game just because we are using all our backs.

He needs to teach them how to find the hole and hit it hard (yeah, that could be misinterpreted). We did a better job of that this year, but still had trouble finding the opening and then just running into the pile.

Oh yeah, I'd like to see us be able to pick up 3rd/4th and inches. That will be the real benchmark.

He needs to teach them how to find the hole and hit it hard (yeah, that could be misinterpreted). We did a better job of that this year, but still had trouble finding the opening and then just running into the pile.

Oh yeah, I'd like to see us be able to pick up 3rd/4th and inches. That will be the real benchmark.

This has been my haunt since Wilds & Davis moved on. Latecomer was in a class by himself on short yardage, but even Davis & Wilds could plow a yard or two when the entire stadium knew it was coming. too me that is one of those difference makers in what type of Running Back you actually have, Can you go get it when they all know whats coming.

Reactions: HI Cock

I agree we need backs with the instinct to find a hole like Marcus did there are some things you can't coach and Marcus had it.

Last edited:
You dont coach great running backs to hit or find holes, you teach them the plays, where the blocks are and get outta the way.

Reactions: lawcalcock

Yep and one way to do that is quit handing the ball off 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd or 4th and inches, Thats a QB sneak all the way

Yep and one way to do that is quit handing the ball off 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd or 4th and inches, Thats a QB sneak all the way
That makes sense. It seems we always never make it so if the other team can stop it 90% of the time it looks like our team could manage to make it 80% of the team when we know the play.

This has been my haunt since Wilds & Davis moved on. Latecomer was in a class by himself on short yardage, but even Davis & Wilds could plow a yard or two when the entire stadium knew it was coming. too me that is one of those difference makers in what type of Running Back you actually have, Can you go get it when they all know whats coming.
Davis was the real deal. Only thing I didn't like about him is he would take himself out after almost every good run, killing the momentum. Then Wilds would come in and run just short of a first down. I believe Davis was really saving himself for the NFL in his last season.

I seem to recall a certain UK player putting the dagger in us by running every play on their last possession. He wanted to come out and was denied.

Last edited:
Hope we can turn the kid , Jamious Griffun from NC State ,when he offical visits this weekend.Kid is better right now than every back on our roster , save the 2 freshman ,whom I havent seen enough of.

Reactions: Gradstudent
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT