Votes: 17 21.5%
  • No, Hate them

Votes: 37 46.8%
  • Don't have an opinion either way

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Don't watch MLB

Votes: 9 11.4%

• Total voters
Freddie. It was awesome. Everything you would expect. They booed the ball boys, the concessionaires, the cops and each other. They heckled the other team. The trip to Monument Park was awesome. Got to see Jeter play. Also went to Fenway, Wrigley, old Tiger stadium, Cincy and Baltimore. What memories

I wanted to go to the old Yankee's Stadium and just look out over the field to see where Mantle, Ford, Billy Martin, Yogi, and all the great Yankees once played.

Jeter and the others are even better than Mantle and the rest of the above but I never wanted to see them play. I won't give you a nickel to have seen Jeter, Bonds and some of the others play. I was in Chicago once on a business trip and me and a friend when to Wrigley in 1999. I forget who the star of the Cubs was at that time but he was one of the bigger names in MLB and that didn't do anything for me. I just thought of his name Sammy Sosa or something like that, anyway I didn't get cool chills are anything like that.

Notice how none of the haters explain why, jealousy.. keep rooting for the Georgia Braves and unCarolina panthers 🤣
Ok, I will bite. Why would anybody who I assume lives in SC pull for the Yankees. But just to jump on a bandwagon. A bandwagon by the way that hasnt won the WS since 2009 .

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Here's my answer:

images

Grew up a Yankee fan but eventually converted over to the Braves in the 70’s. I think TBS and going to see them with my Dad a couple of times a year turned me into a Braves fan.

Been a Yankee fan since Marris and Mantle were playing but don’t really care anymore. Still check the standings now and then but cant name the manager or any of the players.

Fan. Grew up in SC and had a teacher in 6th grade who was a big-time fan. He was a cool guy, so I started saying I was a Yankees fan, though at the time I knew nothing at all about baseball or the Yankees. Really started following them in 7th grade when we moved and I started a new school and all the guys talked sports. We moved to Braves country and so they were always talking Braves. It was the late 80s and the Yankees were pretty terrible then.

That's true. What the Marlins and Pirates do is abhorrent. My feelings are not rational. I just don't like when teams win championships with a roster of guys they didn't draft or develop. I am a Cubs fan, and the teams have been much less interesting to me that are made up of a bunch of free agents.
But the 90s Yankees did just that. They developed/drafted that talent. Picked u pa piece here or there but the core was from their farm system.

Been a fan since birth. Mom was from NY and a fan. Slapped a NY hat on my head after the nurses cleaned me up and then took me to Cooperstown. I was born here but over half my family is from NY and they were all fans. In the blood i guess.
Always hated the Atlanta teams. No real reason. Cant follow the panthers as they didn't exist until i was like 18.

But the 90s Yankees did just that. They developed/drafted that talent. Picked u pa piece here or there but the core was from their farm system.
I liked those teams actually. The ARod era was offputting. The Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cubs are spending a ton of money now too.

The primary gripe against the Yankees is that they win b/c they spend the most. But their best run in "recent" years came on the backs of homegrown talent: Williams, Jeter, Rivera, Pettite, Posada. Throw in some shrewd trades to get someone like Paul O'Neill, who turned into a major key contributor. You had a lot of guys like Scott Brosius who were key contributors. Yeah, you had some high profile guys like Roger Clemens, but they weren't the core of the team and weren't the main reason they were successful. Prior to that run, their reliance on big spending for free agents hadn't produced results. And they got away from the model of of using primarily homegrown talent supplemented with free agents, their fortunes dipped considerably. They have been coming back around on that.

Reactions: MookieBlaylock9
I grew up a Yankee's fan and always wanted to go to the old Yankee Stadium, but didn't make it there. But I have no desire to go to the new Yankee Stadium.
I am a Red Sox fan and hate the Yankees (I have nothing against northerners), but I went to a game in the old Yankee Stadium in 1973. A friend of mine came to my apartment in Georgia one afternoon and said, "Let's drive to New York tomorrow and see a game." He said it the way you would say, "Let's play a round of golf tomorrow." At first I said, no, but he pointed out that the stadium would be closed and renovated the next season. "You will never see it the way it was when Ruth and Mantle played in it." So I went, because Ted Williams hit quite a few home runs there too. In those days, there were monuments to Miller Huggins, Lou Gehrig, and Babe Ruth in the center field warning track. The next year the stadium was closed for two years for renovations. The center field wall was moved closer to home plate, so the monuments were no longer in the field of play.

Old ballparks just have that feel that you could be watching baseball from any era (if you discount the video boards). At Fenway, I thought about all the great players, Yaz, Ted Williams. AT Yankee Stadium.. The Mick, Yogi, Babe, Maris, PeeWee,Bobby. At Detroit, Al Kaline and Ty Cobb. You could close your eyes and could have been in any era. I met Yogi in Cooperstown in a restaurant. He was much shorter than I thought and very nice. He spent a couple of minutes talking to us. When told we were from SC, he said he loved Bobby Richardson. He signed a hat for me. I don't remember the name of the restaurant but it was across from the Hall of Fame. It was not anything fancy at all. Later some us went over to Doubleday Field (behind the hall) and played catch. I was surprised how small Cooperstown was. What a great memory

Reactions: rogue cock
I am a Red Sox fan and hate the Yankees (I have nothing against northerners), but I went to a game in the old Yankee Stadium in 1973. A friend of mine came to my apartment in Georgia one afternoon and said, "Let's drive to New York tomorrow and see a game." He said it the way you would say, "Let's play a round of golf tomorrow." At first I said, no, but he pointed out that the stadium would be closed and renovated the next season. "You will never see it the way it was when Ruth and Mantle played in it." So I went, because Ted Williams hit quite a few home runs there too. In those days, there were monuments to Miller Huggins, Lou Gehrig, and Babe Ruth in the center field warning track. The next year the stadium was closed for two years for renovations. The center field wall was moved closer to home plate, so the monuments were no longer in the field of play.

Boy, do I ever regret not getting to see the old stadium. Did Ruth play in the old stadium?

Boy, do I ever regret not getting to see the old stadium. Did Ruth play in the old stadium?
The stadium opened in 1923 and Ruth retired in 1934, if Wikipedia is correct. And it was sometimes known as the House that Ruth built.

My wife is a Yankee fan. So the trade off is that she had to become a Gamecock. Came with the deal so Im forced to watch playoffs games.

One things for sure, it the Yankees didn't win titles (or used to win titles) nobody would hate them.

One of the best times of my life was when I lived about 90 minutes from Atlanta, in the thick of Braves country, and the Yankees kicked their a**es in 8 straight WS games.

My wife is from NY and a big Yankees fan and brainwashed both my sons. I've been a Red Sox fan since 1968. I hate the Yankees worse than Clemson. But I respect some of the players. Willie Randolph, Mariano Riveria,, Mattingly, Jeter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT