ADVERTISEMENT

Non-Conference Game Against SEC Opponent

Carolina4

Oct 9, 2006
I just read where UNC plays a non-conference game at Wake this season, and will play them again at home in 2021...another non-conference game.

Seems to me this is the way to eliminate the permanent East / West opponents. Bama & UT...want to play each other every year??? Schedule a non-conference game. Same for Auburn and UGA. Would make life better for everyone in the SEC.

I just read where UNC plays a non-conference game at Wake this season, and will play them again at home in 2021...another non-conference game.

Seems to me this is the way to eliminate the permanent East / West opponents. Bama & UT...want to play each other every year??? Schedule a non-conference game. Same for Auburn and UGA. Would make life better for everyone in the SEC.
Seems to me you are technically correct. Also seems to me that some teams from conferences that only play eight conference games need to work harder on their OOC scheduling. UPC on the schedule sort of takes the heat off us in that regard. Add a UNC or N.C. State and we're good. Still wish we played nine conference games. If we did, we could back off one of the major OOC games.

Opens up new problems. What happens if Alabama and Auburn both win their division? That game between them didn't count?

Yes, you already have the same problem for when rotational teams might meet during the season or by miracle games like Tennessee and Alabama get replayed again.

The simple problem is Alabama wants to hold on to it's yearly games with both Auburn and Tennessee. Until you get around that fact, there's really not a good alternative.

What's most likely going to happen is that they actually divide everyone up into 4 'divisions' similiar to basketball.

Each team gets 2-3 dedicated yearly games with SEC members and then all other games are rotational.

Example;
South Carolina - Florida/Georgia/Missouri
Tennessee - Alabama/Florida/Vanderbilt
Florida - Georgia/South Carolina/Tennessee
Georgia - Auburn/Florida/South Carolina
Auburn - Alabama/Georgia/Ole Miss
Alabama - Tennessee/Auburn/LSU
Ole Miss - Vanderbilt/Auburn/MSU

Opens up new problems. What happens if Alabama and Auburn both win their division? That game between them didn't count?

Yes, you already have the same problem for when rotational teams might meet during the season or by miracle games like Tennessee and Alabama get replayed again.

The simple problem is Alabama wants to hold on to it's yearly games with both Auburn and Tennessee. Until you get around that fact, there's really not a good alternative.

What's most likely going to happen is that they actually divide everyone up into 4 'divisions' similiar to basketball.

Each team gets 2-3 dedicated yearly games with SEC members and then all other games are rotational.

Example;
South Carolina - Florida/Georgia/Missouri
Tennessee - Alabama/Florida/Vanderbilt
Florida - Georgia/South Carolina/Tennessee
Georgia - Auburn/Florida/South Carolina
Auburn - Alabama/Georgia/Ole Miss
Alabama - Tennessee/Auburn/LSU
Ole Miss - Vanderbilt/Auburn/MSU
What..? Divisional teams wouldn't be N/C opponents, the extra divisional games would be, and they both can't "win" the division.

They wouldn't make their regular season game a non-conference game and keep them in the same division in the West.
... You're missing the point, or I am. The game with Tenn is the game that would be made non-conference if they wished to keep it. Auburn, being a divisional game, would be kept every year anyhow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT