ADVERTISEMENT

Not even feeling guilty.....

uscedge21

Mar 5, 2019
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
I graduated from Carolina in '76. Was a fan for years prior to that. Had season tickets for many years after that. I am sure that there are probably games over the last 50+ years that I was unable to watch for whatever reason but I really don't recall when that may have been, if ever. Saturday I did something that I never thought I would do or was even capable of doing. At the end of the 1st quarter I turned off the TV and went out and played a round of golf. I didn't have a good round but it was more enjoyable than watching the product that we now roll out on the field on Saturdays. I have reached the point of not really caring anymore. Just a feeling of hopelessness. I am sorry it has reached this level but there is nothing I can do about it. There are glimmers of hope with my golf game, however, and things I can do to make it better. Guess where I will be Saturday afternoon......

More power to you friend. I wait nine months every year for the game my father taught me growing up and the team my father began taking me to to watch. Every season is a new book, each team of coaches and new players are new or existing characters, and each game is a new chapter in that book. Those players have been my idols, my friends, and now my sons; I rejoice in the wins, mourn the losses, and get ready for the next one. And I don’t give a tinkers SHITE about Alabama or Florida or Georgia or whoever.

If you enjoy golf (and I’m a golfer myself) or fishing or whatever, and prefer those over the three months of football or “winning”, go for it.

I graduated from Carolina in '76. Was a fan for years prior to that. Had season tickets for many years after that. I am sure that there are probably games over the last 50+ years that I was unable to watch for whatever reason but I really don't recall when that may have been, if ever. Saturday I did something that I never thought I would do or was even capable of doing. At the end of the 1st quarter I turned off the TV and went out and played a round of golf. I didn't have a good round but it was more enjoyable than watching the product that we now roll out on the field on Saturdays. I have reached the point of not really caring anymore. Just a feeling of hopelessness. I am sorry it has reached this level but there is nothing I can do about it. There are glimmers of hope with my golf game, however, and things I can do to make it better. Guess where I will be Saturday afternoon......

Much the same here. I took the family a couple hours up the road to a pumpkin patch/fall festival. I checked the score a few mins after the game started and saw it was 7-0. Checked a few mins later and saw it was 28-0. I was instantly glad I hadn't planned my day around the game. What a waste that would have been. I have all the sentimentality that any other Gamecock fan has, but there's zero glory or honor that comes with subjecting oneself to watching total crap football for 3 hours. Moreover, I have zero memories from the game. That, in itself is priceless.

I watched every excruciating second.

Last year was the first year I gave up on basketball and stopped watching the games. I'd seen enough of the Frank show.

Yup, I turned it off after the first quarter. In years past I would have NEVER done that. I guess that 50 years of crappy football has finally done me in (Spurrier's nice 3 year run was fun though).
Hell, I didn't even check the score until Sunday Night!! Something told me we were gonna get our asses kicked last week around Tuesday, and that's exactly what happened!!

Thank you for sharing what must be some of your most innermost thoughts.

Also, thanks to all the others who come here to tell us how little they care.

No need to be sorry that it has reached this level.

Hit 'em straight.

Go Cocks!

Hopefully, the administration understands the danger of fan apathy. It's much more dangerous, in my opinion, than having angry fans. Angry fans are engaged. Apathetic fans are just a couple of steps away from not being fans at all - or at least not paying ones.

1976 grad here as well, and I share your same perspective. I turned off the game in the first qtr and took a 4-mile hike on the Doodle Trail (upstate rail-to-trail) with my wife. With the exception of a few years, Our football teams have sucked. Nothing has really changed with our football program since I arrived on campus as a freshman. I’ve given up hope.

Reactions: uscedge21
I'm pretty much in the same boat and have been for two years. I quit watching before the end of the first quarter and never went back. I switched to Arkansas and Ole MIss and that was so much more entertaining. I wasn't expecting a great season, but I was expecting to see a slightly better product on the field. Three years ago today was the last time I stepped inside WB and it doesn't look like that'll be changing this year.

Not me. I'm there every Sat they play in WB and a few road games. It can be extremely frustrating when you travel hundreds of miles and the game is literally over in the 1st quarter. But I try to just enjoy the good parts & not let the results bring me to far down. Still working thru that but Im getting much better at it, There is nothing like actually being there imo. Besides its only a few weekends a year, plenty of time to do other stuff.

Reactions: Cocky One
Whew, thought u’d been caught running around😅

I don’t care that you don’t care that I don’t care. If you really cared you wouldn’t care who cares.

I'm pretty much in the same boat and have been for two years. I quit watching before the end of the first quarter and never went back. I switched to Arkansas and Ole MIss and that was so much more entertaining. I wasn't expecting a great season, but I was expecting to see a slightly better product on the field. Three years ago today was the last time I stepped inside WB and it doesn't look like that'll be changing this year.

You're bragging about being a first class quitter?

I'm not satisfied either but will never give up hope. Everything has to be kept in perspective and life will be much happier for a lot of you. I get you don't want to go because we're not good, but giving up? You fishermen out there, are any of you pros of even good enough? Few are and I've fished all my life. Sometimes I don't catch anything. You golfers out there, are any of you pros? Few make it to that level. Do you still play? I do even though some days it's horrible at 100 plus. I still hope and enjoy sports. Perspective is understanding who we are in football. We will ALWAYS be about a 6 maybe 7 win team and 3 or 4 in the SEC East, and that's the good years. I will not give up HOPE, because I know and accept who history has taught us we are as a program. I celebrate the good fishing and golfing days and hope they happen again. Same in Carolina football. I try to keep it in perspective. You accept mediocrity in most other places in your life, house, car, wife, job, ability, yet you expect excellence in a program that has been nothing but mediocre for it's entire history. Once you learn perspective, life will be good, not excellent or even great in some cases but good. Hope will help you be happier no matter what you do.

Reactions: kidrobinski
You're bragging about being a first class quitter?
Does it hurt you in any way if he is? Does what he or I say trigger you into emotional distress? Let people say what they want to say without questioning their motivations. If you can’t do that, then find another message board.

Kitchenlabs, Forkcock, Gatorland Gamecock, will110….good stuff, thank you for posting your beliefs here. I had thought the world had changed to the point that I had actually lost my mind.

Does it hurt you in any way if he is? Does what he or I say trigger you into emotional distress? Let people say what they want to say without questioning their motivations. If you can’t do that, then find another message board.
Aren't you doing the same? You even went a step further and suggested that I find another message board. Sounds like you might be the one that's "triggered".

The guy painted himself as a guy that only follows the Gamecocks if they're winning.

I'm tired of the same old same old as well, but when you only get 12 games a year, I will watch every second of every one. That's not that big of a commitment, and I'm a fan. It's irrational I know, but I can't not watch.
Yep, have watched every game this year to the bitter end. Yes I yell at the TV, coaches and players (my wife gets a kick out of this..."they can't hear you"), but it's what I do on Saturdays in the fall.

I'm not happy with the season, but I'm not going to miss it either, it'll be over too soon.

I do understand that for some it's better just to do something else. Totally get it, and no condemnation on my part.

I'm with you. It's not just that we're losing but we're not well coached and undisciplined. It's like we're carrying on the Muschamp tradition of bad OCs. At least the D is somewhat better this year.

Aren't you doing the same? You even went a step further and suggested that I find another message board. Sounds like you might be the one that's "triggered".

The guy painted himself as a guy that only follows the Gamecocks if they're winning

That’s his right. I suggested that if you only want to hear rah-rah conversation then find a message board that has those kind of people.

We moved here in 1967-1968. Saw us the year we won the ACC Championship with a robust 6-4 record, then got whooped in the Peach Bowl by West Virginia coached by Jim Carlen. Had never heard of Clemson in my life. Every year was the same for us; win a couple more than we lost, or vice versa. Didn’t bother me a bit; it was our lot in life, and we got to see some great players on other teams as well. The top 10-15 teams each year were pretty much the exact same then as they are now, with a few newbies every so often much like we were in our 11 win seasons with Spurrier. And life went on. I saw us beat Alabama in 2001, and saw us lose to Appalachian State in 2019. Saw us beat a highly ranked West Virginia on a Thanksgiving Day, and saw us get smoked by Kentucky and Moe Williams. They’ll be more of each, and I’ll be right there.

You are not alone. Ray's decision making has brought me to your level and because I have divested myself of the game, I don't get upset at the world, family, life, like I use to. Be sure and tell everyone it's Ray's fault and the worst of it is that he ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Reactions: uscedge21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT