ADVERTISEMENT

Not long until the 10 Million dollar coach is a common thing...

fowl_mood

Gold Member
Oct 28, 1998
....in college football. And, many of those will be moderately successful, or even mediocre.

The problem comes when you try to fire guys that well compensated, as we know with a former, less expensive coach. I've yet to see a creative escape for dissapointed ADs.

Franklin at Penn State was wrapped up today with a 2031 contract worth 8 Mil a year. He's not been that competitive in the Big, he's been pretty good.

What is happening now is the level that was reserved for National Championship challenging coaches is now being eclipsed by pay for retention purposes, which apparently now far outweighs performance. Jimbos TAM contract was the first sign of that. At least Dabo and Saban were still actively competitive for a championship.

Yeah, the cost of everything is up these days.....

Reactions: cockymom2boys
The common fan is going to be priced out of attending games.I saw on the golf channel earlier that the pga is going to give more money out.I assume it’s to counter what the Saudis is doing.But it’s like that in practically all sports.I told my friend about Freddy freeman’s contract offer,I told him nobody is worth that kind of money.

The common fan is going to be priced out of attending games.I saw on the golf channel earlier that the pga is going to give more money out.I assume it’s to counter what the Saudis is doing.But it’s like that in practically all sports.I told my friend about Freddy freeman’s contract offer,I told him nobody is worth that kind of money.
Tell us, what the Saudis is doing.

Tell us, what the Saudis is doing.
Greg Norman and the Saudis are forming a new golf tour or trying too.I think that’s why the European tour changed their name to the DP tour? Might be part of the same deal,not sure.I haven’t kept up with it in the last few weeks.

If you are from normal, frugal parents, isn’t it tough spending that much money?

"Franklin and Penn State agreed to a new 10-year contract worth a guaranteed $70 million that includes multiple incentive clauses. Franklin will make an additional $1.5 million annually in incentives and can make up to $1 million per year in performance bonuses."

-----------------

Penn State better hope Franklin remains pride-driven.

He could get sick of coaching one month into that 10-year contract and if he does the bare minimum and records a couple of 4-8 seasons, he's out to door with $70 million and not a care in the world*. (*Muschamp Consulting, LLC)

I recall a lot of the same comments when coaches starting breaking the 1 million a year mark.

The weird thing is that it wasn't that long ago.

Yep, there are going to be a lot of coaches earning championship-caliber salaries, but there is still only going to be one national championship winner each year. My issue is not with the salaries, but the fact that most of these guys haven't earned it yet. Yes, Saban, Dabo, and Urban are worth whatever you pay them. But Mel Tucker? Mullen and Orgeron were both among the ten highest-paid coaches and now they are both out of a job. How does that make sense?

I would love to see more heavy-incentive based contracts among coaches that have yet to prove themselves. Give them a decent multi-million-dollar salary but build in incentives so that if he goes to the playoffs, he makes $10 million that year. Win the national title and you make $15 million. It would be worth it to the school. Supposedly, all of these elite coaches have tremendous egos, believing they can win anywhere. Make them put their money where their mouths are.

It's just a reflection of all that's wrong in our society.

....in college football. And, many of those will be moderately successful, or even mediocre.

The problem comes when you try to fire guys that well compensated, as we know with a former, less expensive coach. I've yet to see a creative escape for dissapointed ADs.

Franklin at Penn State was wrapped up today with a 2031 contract worth 8 Mil a year. He's not been that competitive in the Big, he's been pretty good.

What is happening now is the level that was reserved for National Championship challenging coaches is now being eclipsed by pay for retention purposes, which apparently now far outweighs performance. Jimbos TAM contract was the first sign of that. At least Dabo and Saban were still actively competitive for a championship.

I think we are there. Dan Mullen was at 7.6 million a year and won nothing. The arms race is just getting worse and worse. At some point there will be a correction. These contracts are going to outpace revenue growth, which may be happening already. I just hope we get ROI out of Beamer. At his current salary 6 wins is a deal.

College football as we’ve known it for the last few decades is likely to be completely different going forward. The NIL and transfer portal have turned it into a semipro league with free agency.

I saw an interesting idea by someone else that proposed Power 5 programs will soon be building housing for the families/hangers-on of top recruits. If your school and boosters can offer a big NIL deal and housing for recruit’s loved ones, that’s gonna trump almost everything else.

Combine that with outrageous coach’s salaries and we are obviously talking semi-pro football. The TV contract money and massive money being spent will likely drive everything towards a super-league….ESPN will demand it. At that point, college football will have killed itself chasing the money (see NASCAR and what almost happened to English Premier League soccer with the proposed world super-league).

College football as we’ve known it for the last few decades is likely to be completely different going forward. The NIL and transfer portal have turned it into a semipro league with free agency.

I saw an interesting idea by someone else that proposed Power 5 programs will soon be building housing for the families/hangers-on of top recruits. If your school and boosters can offer a big NIL deal and housing for recruit’s loved ones, that’s gonna trump almost everything else.

Combine that with outrageous coach’s salaries and we are obviously talking semi-pro football. The TV contract money and massive money being spent will likely drive everything towards a super-league….ESPN will demand it. At that point, college football will have killed itself chasing the money (see NASCAR and what almost happened to English Premier League soccer with the proposed world super-league).
IIRC, per state law, schools in SC can't be involved in the NIL contracts.

IIRC, per state law, schools in SC can't be involved in the NIL contracts.
Not aware of such a law but “involved in” is a bit vague. I don’t think the school would make the NIL offer directly but there will likely be coordination with boosters at some arms length level.

whatever the case, I think we’re in uncharted territory going forward given the Supreme Court ruling and these comments by Justice Kavanaugh:
Kavanaugh attacked the circular nature of the NCAA’s argument that athletes’ not being paid is a defining feature of college sports and drew stark analogies to how preposterous the NCAA’s business model would look in other industries: highly violative of antitrust law. Here is one of his many savaging remarks: “Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. … The NCAA is not above the law.”

Not aware of such a law but “involved in” is a bit vague. I don’t think the school would make the NIL offer directly but there will likely be coordination with boosters at some arms length level.

whatever the case, I think we’re in uncharted territory going forward given the Supreme Court ruling and these comments by Justice Kavanaugh:
Kavanaugh attacked the circular nature of the NCAA’s argument that athletes’ not being paid is a defining feature of college sports and drew stark analogies to how preposterous the NCAA’s business model would look in other industries: highly violative of antitrust law. Here is one of his many savaging remarks: “Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. … The NCAA is not above the law.”

59-158-20(C) An institution of higher learning or its athletic conference cannot directly or indirectly create or facilitate compensation opportunities for the use of an intercollegiate athlete's name, image, or likeness.

(D) An institution of higher learning may not use or allow boosters to directly or indirectly create or facilitate compensation opportunities for the use of an intercollegiate athlete's name, image, or likeness as a recruiting inducement or as a means of paying for athletics participation.

(E) An intercollegiate athlete at an institution of higher learning may not use the institution of higher learning's facilities, uniforms provided by the institution of higher learning, or the institution of higher learning's intellectual property, including, but not limited to, the unauthorized use of a registered trademark or product protected by copyright, in connection with the use of the intercollegiate athlete's name, image, or likeness activities.

Interesting, but that law seems to go directly against Kavanaugh’s comments. The school “may not allow boosters….to create compensation opportunities”.
That is the “old way” of doing things and if challenged then Kavanaugh’s comments appear to clearly say it is illegal. A school will not be able prevent these kids from receiving fair compensation for their work and to attempt to limit booster involvement would be infringing on a kid’s right to receive fair compensation.

Let’s say the school prevents a random, non-athlete student from taking a high paying job while still a student. Is that legal/fair? Just because a kid plays football, how can a school legally attempt to limit the kid’s income? This doesn’t make sense and, as Kavanaugh said, is illegal.

Interesting, but that law seems to go directly against Kavanaugh’s comments. The school “may not allow boosters….to create compensation opportunities”.
That is the “old way” of doing things and if challenged then Kavanaugh’s comments appear to clearly say it is illegal. A school will not be able prevent these kids from receiving fair compensation for their work and to attempt to limit booster involvement would be infringing on a kid’s right to receive fair compensation.

Let’s say the school prevents a random, non-athlete student from taking a high paying job while still a student. Is that legal/fair? Just because a kid plays football, how can a school legally attempt to limit the kid’s income? This doesn’t make sense and, as Kavanaugh said, is illegal.
Don't know how it will shake out. Here is a good summary and advisory for athletes and businesses regarding NILs in SC: https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/guide-to-nil-in-south-carolina-for-2762169/

Reactions: Toneski M

Yeah and then there's the Auburn Precedence!!

IOW's the law/rule doesn't apply in a case where/when someone other than the athlete in question actually receives money for the very same players commitment.

Of course this is in reference to Cam Newton, his preacher father and the mystery $250k!!

Talk about Mississippi State ringing a Cashbell instead of a Cowbell!!!

That got Mississippi State a sincere Thank You from Auburn as for the achievement of the overall law/rule clarification!!!

As I stated within another thread with the very same sarcastic irony that I intend here: Welcome to Amerika!! =;-p

Don't know how it will shake out. Here is a good summary and advisory for athletes and businesses regarding NILs in SC: https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/guide-to-nil-in-south-carolina-for-2762169/
Wow!! Now by all means correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't JDSUPRA based in California??

And if so, they actually produced an article that addresses the legal ramifications/specifications that pertains and/or applies to SOUTH CAROLINA ATHLETES???

Just askin', just askin'! I am of no respectable legal knowledge at all, so please take my inquiry for what it's worth (i.e., sheer ignorance!!)!!!

Wow!! Now by all means correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't JDSUPRA based in California??

And if so, they actually produced an article that addresses the legal ramifications/specifications that pertains and/or applies to SOUTH CAROLINA ATHLETES???

Just askin', just askin'! I am of no respectable legal knowledge at all, so please take my inquiry for what it's worth (i.e., sheer ignorance!!)!!!
Yes....but I would guess it was edited by Haynesworth, Sinkler and Boyd prior to them publishing it. Personally, I have had no dealings in this area and haven't done in depth research on the subject.

EDIT: That article was written by the Haynesworth firm and then was added to JDSUPRA's free publications.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaimcock
I think we are there. Dan Mullen was at 7.6 million a year and won nothing. The arms race is just getting worse and worse. At some point there will be a correction. These contracts are going to outpace revenue growth, which may be happening already. I just hope we get ROI out of Beamer. At his current salary 6 wins is a deal.
I thought Mullen won the East last year and played Bama in the conference championship to a very close game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT