ADVERTISEMENT

Not scheme or talent but execution on defense...

the-iceman

Jan 30, 2001
Skai said we definitely have the talent, just guys not doing what they've been coached to do. Isaiah ditto. Kinda got that from Hokes interview too, he was baffled by the mistakes.

Better get unbaffled quick and play guys who can think and react quicker or we will see more of the same.

What else can they say? There is very little talent. No playmakers.. We overrated some of the influx of new talent.

We have some talented players on defense but the corps as a whole is sub-par. We don't match up speed-wise with the dawgs and probably half the teams we will play this year. I guess it is time for a players-only meeting. The guys need to play for pride and each other. They are better than what they showed last night. Everything seemed to snowball in the second half and you could tell how frustrated they were with how quick it went downhill. I honestly thought we could keep it competitive at halftime. The first two drives in the second half convinced me otherwise. We definitely have an untapped talent in Nunez and I hope HBC will keep playing him over Orth right now. Nunez gives us the best chance to win IMO.

I don't see how anyone watching this game or the A&M game last year can say we have comparable talent. It was like watching men playing against boys. If you compare rosters up and down at every position, I think UGA was better at almost every single position. Even their backups are at least as good as our starters. We are a slow team that lacks the athleticism needed to compete in this league. Even Spurrier admitted before the season that we do not play fast.

Why does Botkin get a break? These LBs are coached horribly and he clearly is incapable of lighting a fire in his players hearts. Skai got owned most of the game last week (blocked and driven 10 yards downfield multiple times) and he is the one who might possibly start for another SEC school. Still, good coaching can overcome many deficiencies.

Our D under Whammy is Soft, Stupid, and Slow.

Pardon me, but I consider being able to do and actually doing what you are coached to do in a game a kind of talent. If you aren't coached to line up 11 yards off the receiver than back pedal another 10 yards at the snap? Then why do you keep doing it every time if you are any damn good? None of these guys are freshman any more so I can't see that being an excuse. Are you SURE it's not a coaching thing? I said it last year and I'll say it again this year. I have a very hard time buying that ALL these guys in our starting line up are just busts and there is no major problem with coaching. That would be very amazing coincidence. So amazing it's not very likely the to be the case.

I think we severely lack talent at CB at DT, two very important positions. Lammons is good but he has been hurt.

I think we severely lack talent at CB at DT, two very important positions. Lammons is good but he has been hurt.
Our days of taking 2-star DBs and making them all-conference left with Cooper. Our days of taking 3-star LBs and making them all-conference left with EJ. Our days of taking 2 and 3 star DL (and LBs) and making them all-conference left with Lawing. Our new coaches take 4-star talent and make them 2-star players.

Coaching goes only so far. Sure get the kids in the right position. Teach them how to play CB, you know, slow the WR off the LOS, watch the QB and play the ball etc. You cannot coach instinct and football saavy. It really often comes down to playmakers making the plays, reacting on instinct, recognizing what is happening and getting after it. We saw Holloman, Gilmore, DJ and Hampton etc make numerous plays that had nothing to do with coaching in a sense. We have nobody anywhere near that level, or at least I have not seen it very often with this group.

I'd say the problem is more a lack of a star playmaker than overall lack of talent. SC has decent talent but no longer has the star on either side of the ball that is a game changer.

Coaching goes only so far. Sure get the kids in the right position. Teach them how to play CB, you know, slow the WR off the LOS, watch the QB and play the ball etc. You cannot coach instinct and football saavy. It really often comes down to playmakers making the plays, reacting on instinct, recognizing what is happening and getting after it. We saw Holloman, Gilmore, DJ and Hampton etc make numerous plays that had nothing to do with coaching in a sense. We have nobody anywhere near that level, or at least I have not seen it very often with this group.
That would be either player evaluation or development or both. We are lacking somewhere and it begins and ends with the coaching staff.

Reactions: xrayder
Vandy and Kentucky play with heart and less talent than most. We play with good talent and a decided lack of heart IMHO. Just watch other teams and wonder why ours does not play the same way, talent be damned.

The little to no contact practices are not paying off that is for sure. We still have injuries and play soft.

The little to no contact practices are not paying off that is for sure. We still have injuries and play soft.
Richt had to resort to low contact practices several years ago due to injuries. It did not end well. The old saying "players play how they practice" showed itself to be very true.

Yep and it's obvious watching us play that it has had an impact. I dont think Spurrier will change his ways. Way too far into his career to change these things.

One last comment. Vandy I would say is not anywhere close to Ga talent level, yet gave them fits. I did not watch that game but Vandy in the past ran a lot of zone blitzes which may have been why they were so disruptive to Lambert? That comes down to coaching and heart. We may have some pretty talented players, by stars, but I saw neither great coaching or heart much of Sat night.

Reactions: big9cock
It's fair to say that there is no single factor to our performance against Georgia, but it's probably worth noting that part of what makes a player "talented" is his ability to do in game situations what he's been coached to do in practice. I have no doubt that our players are on par athletically with Georgia's, but often the difference between a great team and a good, decent, or bad team is the ability to execute the scheme correctly the most.

Right on, no contact is a big problem. Listened to a Falcon player after they beat NY Giants and he said the Falcons have CONTACT and LIVE TACKLING in practice ! BTW, Did some of you guys not watch the game ? Our secondary was the "worst coached" in anybody"s lifetime ! There were times when there were no defenders on the screen !!! The Dogs broke a school record and maybe an NCAA completion record. Kentucky and NC "chewed us up" in the secondary ! Yes, we are down in talent but, come on, we can't be that bad !

Really? The biggest problem is keeping the offense on the field and scoring touchdowns. Until GA. , we hadn't been completely overwhelmed. Guess what, we have now. Geezus. Defense only gets you a win if the offense can get it done. Defense may win championships, but unless you put points on the board equal to or better, moot point. Also, drives eat time off the clock. Period.

I don't feel qualified to evaluate ncaa div 1 (or any division) football talent, but as bad as the last 2 losses have been, I gotta believe we have enough talent to represent our University better than we have so far. I still think we will improve as the season goes on. As much as I hate it,we are a work in progress. That's going to make for a tough season, but it is what it is. The reasons why are for another thread, but I am not losing hope yet. I think we will be playing quality football going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT