ADVERTISEMENT

Not that we're shopping for a new OC, but...

It wouldn't be worse than what we currently have, for sure. But get ready to be thrashed in here for the suggestion.

haha, i'm not suggesting it really. I've seen others here throw his name around but said they didn't know what he was up to these days. I thought he was living up north somewhere. I do think the timing of the article is interesting. As our offense is languishing, they suddenly to decide to publish a piece on our former OC who lives in the area. Probably nothing to it.

Reactions: 92Pony
If you were a head coach who needed to make an OC change, would you hire someone like Mangus or look at recently fired and "hot seat" head coaches for potential coordinators?

I don't know if Mangus makes a ton of sense. Fans often throw his name out there, but he's been out of the college game for a while now. It's a risk. I think he would bring some veteran experience that this staff is lacking.

The problem with the Magnus scenario, for me is why, is he not a offensive analyst already on staff?

I would think if he and Beamer had a strong relationship from their previous time on a staff together, he would be a offensive analyst by now.

The fact that never happened makes me think, he won t be on a Beamer staff going forward.

But sometimes I overthink these things

giphy.gif

Last edited:
The problem with the Magnus scenario, for me is why, is not a offensive analyst already on staff?

I would think if he and Beamer had a strong relationship from their previous time on a staff together, he would be a offensive analyst by now.

The fact that never happened makes me think, he won t be on a Beamer staff going forward.

But sometimes I overthink these things

giphy.gif

No, you're probably right. At the time we were looking for an OC, Mangus was available and living in the area. There's obviously a reason he's not on staff already, whatever that may be.

The problem with the Magnus scenario, for me is why, is he not a offensive analyst already on staff?
Dunno....but he was arguably the best QB coach we ever had and was a key element in some of our best teams.
He also was our OC when things imploded in '15. 😬
I would have hired him over Satt for $900k and told him to run our offense we ran from '10-'13.

I've never understood the fascination with Mangus. There are innovative guys out there, and seasoned guys that are well in demand for a reason (having proven that they can call a side of the ball with success, consistency and vision). We aren't going to find a winning lottery ticket on the ground somewhere.
We have to pay money out to talented coaches that can recruit AND coach. We can't give coordinator positions out to B Macs and Satterfields of the world. The less proven the next OC is....then he had better be that much more innovative.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I
I've never understood the fascination with Mangus. There are innovative guys out there, and seasoned guys that are well in demand for a reason (having proven that they can call a side of the ball with success, consistency and vision). We aren't going to find a winning lottery ticket on the ground somewhere.
We have to pay money out to talented coaches that can recruit AND coach. We can't give coordinator positions out to B Macs and Satterfields of the world. The less proven the next OC is....then he had better be that much more innovative.
Might be stating the obvious here. As bad as the 2015 team was, they averaged more points per game then the current joke of an offense. We actually have more weapons now…I do think GA would have been a much better choice. I guess when you promise the Green Bay Packer offense and you get the Cleveland Browns, what can you do?

Reactions: Cocky704
I

Might be stating the obvious here. As bad as the 2015 team was, they averaged more points per game then the current joke of an offense. We actually have more weapons now…I do think GA would have been a much better choice. I guess when you promise the Green Bay Packer offense and you get the Cleveland Browns, what can you do?
To me, Mangus's biggest contribution was being the good cop to Spurrier's bad cop with respect to QBs -- particularly with Garcia.

Spurrier was the one that ran that offense. At least, as long as it it was against SEC competition and Clemson. There was often an obvious dropoff when we played lower tier and FCS schools.

If you were a head coach who needed to make an OC change, would you hire someone like Mangus or look at recently fired and "hot seat" head coaches for potential coordinators?

Exactly this - hot seat head coaches. I’ll tell you a good one that’s about to hit the market is Seth Littrell, who is about to be fired at North Texas. Tons of OC experience and could pay him enough very easily.

Satt got the job because he was “innovative”. He sold that he could combine LSU Brady passing offense with Oklahoma Riley run game ha. No wonder everybody on the offense is confused.

To me, Mangus's biggest contribution was being the good cop to Spurrier's bad cop with respect to QBs -- particularly with Garcia.

Spurrier was the one that ran that offense. At least, as long as it it was against SEC competition and Clemson. There was often an obvious dropoff when we played lower tier and FCS schools.
Always remember the story of the assistants told. The week of the Alabama game in 2010, usually spurrier was talking about golf on Monday’s, but the assistant said he walked into Spurriers office, he was holding a golf club and said “We going to take it to Saban this week”. Assistant knew the mad genius was thinking more about football than golf that week.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Would not shock me if Justin Fuente was available in the off-season. He was Gary Patterson's OC at one time. He developed Andy Dalton at QB and was TCU's OC during their 2010 undefeated season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT