ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Coordinator

uscsos1

Oct 29, 2001
The experiment with McLendon as the OC is a failure. He pretty much called the same conservative (play not to lose) plays in the UNC game as he did with the Virginia game. I hate losing to 3 straight ACC teams. McLendon did'nt do the running backs or Jake any favors with his play calling. Todd and Tommy Suggs said that it looked like the other team knew what plays we were calling. We are just to predictable.

Too late now. What do you do? Hire your 3rd OC in 5 years? Champ's track record is now firmly established and I doubt you'd have any reputable OC who would want to come work for him.

At the time of the move I was advocating, like many, that we make a move for big-time OC. But many fans were afraid that we'd lose BMac if we didn't promote him and afraid of what that might do to recruiting.

I don't think it is any greater failure than Robinson on the other side. Our defensive people were lost out there on Saturday.

We have 2 coordinators for recruiting purposes only. Muschamp was supposed to be good enough to handle the D. Werner brought in to help on offense. It has been a colossal failure. Nobody’s job should be safe. But at this point Muschamp is tied to them. We can’t let Muschamp try to correct things by firing yet another OC. How many in his 8 year career have failed? Time to call it what it is...a failure.

Our entire staff has been a failure. It reminds me of the old ham and eggs quite except in our case it’s:

If we had some players we could coach them up if we had some coaches.

Too late now. What do you do? Hire your 3rd OC in 5 years? Champ's track record is now firmly established and I doubt you'd have any reputable OC who would want to come work for him.

At the time of the move I was advocating, like many, that we make a move for big-time OC. But many fans were afraid that we'd lose BMac if we didn't promote him and afraid of what that might do to recruiting.

This is right on the money. We had a chance to make a great OC hire and did the laziest thing possible. For what? Some big time recruiting class? We finished right where we always do.

This recruiter stuff is overrated. If you can put sentences together, remember peoples names, and are willing to hustle, you can recruit. It would help if we ran an offense kids want to play in. That might help recruit.

What is Dan Werner doing? I thought he was brought in to help the offense? When he was brought in I was excited as I thought we would see a wide open offense and not the BS we saw in the UNC game.

I think Werner has been limited in what he can do. I say this because I know some folks in the coaching world who think Werner is an excellent OC. Maybe we should make him the OC and tell Will to keep his hands off the O. Will has enough to do with the D. We have talented players on defense. I don't know if it's the scheme or the coaching of how to play. The O is just awful to watch and has been so since Will has been here.

What is Dan Werner doing? I thought he was brought in to help the offense? When he was brought in I was excited as I thought we would see a wide open offense and not the BS we saw in the UNC game.

By all accounts, hiring Werner was the only smart coaching move Champ has made here. He has a long track record of developing QBs and a very good reputation in the coaching ranks. Make no mistake, he was brought in primarily to turn Jake around. I don't think he suddenly turned into a bad coach. That tells you something.

Back to the OC issue, it should have been a giant, screaming red flag when Champ brought Roper on board to start things off. That's one area Tanner should have stepped and said "nuh uh" At the time, considering how things went at UF, it was a baffling move. In hindsight it's utterly unthinkable that he was allowed to make that hire.

But, I think the ship has sailed. Champ has made his bed as far as OCs are concerned. BMac clearly isn't the answer. Why bother giving Champ yet another opportunity to get it right? For this reason alone, I think you have to move on from the Champ experiment after this year.

Back to the OC issue, it should have been a giant, screaming red flag when Champ brought Roper on board to start things off. That's one area Tanner should have stepped and said "nuh uh" At the time, considering how things went at UF, it was a baffling move. In hindsight it's utterly unthinkable that he was allowed to make that hire.

Many of us shouted in protest the moment we heard Roper's name. In typical Gamecock fashion, it was quickly smoothed over as we were patted on the head and told that Roper was a Cutcliffe-genius/had never gotten a full shot/etc.

Hiring Tanner was a huge mistake. His hiring of Muschamp was a mistake. Then Roper. Then two coordinators with no experience, etc.

As was suggested on Twitter, Caslen should "retire" Tanner this fall. Get Danny Morrison in as temporary AD and make the move on Muschamp. Morrison is a very good AD and smooth operator. He'd be able to gin up financial support to take the hit. Fumigate the building and start fresh in 2020 with a fairly good roster of talent. Hardcore and mercenary but it's what needs to be done. Bring in Norvell, Clark, or Fickel, or whomever (young and hungry) and give them the cash to get a great staff.

Many of us shouted in protest the moment we heard Roper's name. In typical Gamecock fashion, it was quickly smoothed over as we were patted on the head and told that Roper was a Cutcliffe-genius/had never gotten a full shot/etc.

Hiring Tanner was a huge mistake. His hiring of Muschamp was a mistake. Then Roper. Then two coordinators with no experience, etc.

As was suggested on Twitter, Caslen should "retire" Tanner this fall. Get Danny Morrison in as temporary AD and make the move on Muschamp. Morrison is a very good AD and smooth operator. He'd be able to gin up financial support to take the hit. Fumigate the building and start fresh in 2020 with a fairly good roster of talent. Hardcore and mercenary but it's what needs to be done. Bring in Norvell, Clark, or Fickel, or whomever (young and hungry) and give them the cash to get a great staff.

I'm on the Urban Meyer bandwagon.

He's still just 55. There's no question after a year away from the game he'll be ready to get back into it. The man has won at a high level every single place he's been. To heck with off-field issues. It'd be a hail mary but I'd back a Brinks truck up to his house. It'd be like hiring Spurrier....x 4. Spurrier came in tainted a bit by his NFL failure. Meyer doesn't have that. Plus, he's shown he can run dynamic, explosive offense in today's college game, which would be a huge boost to recruiting.

He would have us top 10 in 2 seasons.

This is right on the money. We had a chance to make a great OC hire and did the laziest thing possible. For what? Some big time recruiting class? We finished right where we always do.

This recruiter stuff is overrated. If you can put sentences together, remember peoples names, and are willing to hustle, you can recruit. It would help if we ran an offense kids want to play in. That might help recruit.

I've been saying this for YEARS!! If you look back about 6-8yrs ago to when our hillbilly neighbors started running a fast-pace, wide-open O, they started bringing in 5* skill players. That started translating into Ws, and from there, they rounded out other position groups with talent and are now rolling. We're just so darned boring........ Winning boringly is okay. Losing boringly is really bad.

Mclendon has been limited by the qb's play. How can you dial up plays if you don't trust your qb.. Also, how many times has Mclendon called a beautiful play, the wr breaks open only to drop a sure td, or have the ball sail over his head?

Mclendon has been limited by the qb's play. How can you dial up plays if you don't trust your qb.. Also, how many times has Mclendon called a beautiful play, the wr breaks open only to drop a sure td, or have the ball sail over his head?

In this sense our offense is just a total disaster and it really makes it hard to diagnose who is at fault.

Yeah, the play calling hasn't been great. But how much of that is affected by players failing to execute when good plays are called? So hard to say.

I am afraid we are in a total catch 22 like the rest of the second tier SEC programs. It’s hard to convince those up and comers to come here and face this meat grinder. You make big money but your career ends.

Maybe we are just a retread school. Maybe thats the best we can do. It just sucks when they won’t leave and run the place into the ground so the next guy has a disaster on his hands and nobody will take the job.

I don’t know. Let’s just go to the Southern Conference. It’s about our budget.

Reactions: Brace1
I've been saying this for YEARS!! If you look back about 6-8yrs ago to when our hillbilly neighbors started running a fast-pace, wide-open O, they started bringing in 5* skill players. That started translating into Ws, and from there, they rounded out other position groups with talent and are now rolling. We're just so darned boring........ Winning boringly is okay. Losing boringly is really bad.

We can’t recruit to the offense we saw on Saturday. Zero people want to play in that system. If we look like last year Clemson Ole Miss Florida, maybe we turn some heads.

They’re the ones with eleven games left on the schedule. If they don’t show significant improvement, on both sides of the ball, then I see no reason to continue with this staff.

The experiment with McLendon as the OC is a failure. He pretty much called the same conservative (play not to lose) plays in the UNC game as he did with the Virginia game. I hate losing to 3 straight ACC teams. McLendon did'nt do the running backs or Jake any favors with his play calling. Todd and Tommy Suggs said that it looked like the other team knew what plays we were calling. We are just to predictable.
And to think Phil Longo's name was brought up but WM didn't want to piss off one of his buddies and risk losing him to another school. This buddy shit does not work. (Bobby Bentley-buddy, Peterson-buddy, BMac-buddy, TRob-buddy, former coaches Roper-buddy and Thompson-buddy and i know i missed one or two but these buddies are going to cost him another HC job).

I think Werner has been limited in what he can do. I say this because I know some folks in the coaching world who think Werner is an excellent OC. Maybe we should make him the OC and tell Will to keep his hands off the O. Will has enough to do with the D. We have talented players on defense. I don't know if it's the scheme or the coaching of how to play. The O is just awful to watch and has been so since Will has been here.
Amen. Because this offense looks absolutely nothing like his offenses at Ole Miss....not even a resemblance.

On defense, he needs to pull DJ Durkin from his consultants position with the Falcons and immediately make him DC / LB coach and fire Hutzler.

Reactions: 92Pony
And to think Phil Longo's name was brought up but WM didn't want to piss off one of his buddies and risk losing him to another school. This buddy shit does not work. (Bobby Bentley-buddy, Peterson-buddy, BMac-buddy, TRob-buddy, former coaches Roper-buddy and Thompson-buddy and i know i missed one or two but these buddies are going to cost him another HC job).
Werner had more success at Ole Miss than Longo did....and did it for a longer period of time.

It’s very difficult to know what’s going on without seeing the all 22. Even then, without knowing the play designs, it won’t always be obvious if it was just a bad play call for down/distance/defensive setup or if someone made a mistake.

McClendon/Warner did take Roper’s players and QB and produce one of the better offensive seasons South Carolina has had this decade. I wouldn't completely give up on those guys yet, especially since they have the QB they wanted behind center now.

Werner had more success at Ole Miss than Longo did....and did it for a longer period of time.

Does anybody know who calls the plays on offense? Does anybody know why Werner and McLendon switched places in the booth/sideline mid year last year and the offense showed spark?

Why do we never have a play caller? Spurrier never could give us a straight answer about who called the plays.

Reactions: 92Pony
TRob is every bit as bad as McClendon. Awful tackling and blown assignments 4 years running.
Want to have a tough defense? Hire Durkin. Wish we had brought him in last year when he was fired at UMD.

Durkin's defenses at Michigan and UF were stingy and would hit.

I really believe Lane Kiffin is what we need. He has nfl experience, a great recruiting track record and he has worked with many top level coaches.

It’s very difficult to know what’s going on without seeing the all 22. Even then, without knowing the play designs, it won’t always be obvious if it was just a bad play call for down/distance/defensive setup or if someone made a mistake.

McClendon/Warner did take Roper’s players and QB and produce one of the better offensive seasons South Carolina has had this decade. I wouldn't completely give up on those guys yet, especially since they have the QB they wanted behind center now.

The problem with BMac is that his play calling is so vanilla with nothing that will keep a defense honest. Just take the last three games he called plays. Akron-Garbage. Virginia-Garbage and UNC- Yet again Garbage. As a kid who wants to have a chance to go play for some NFL money one day would you want to honestly come here with what they see each week in play calling?

But he’s a great recruiter though. Remember how helped reel in that top 5 class? All of our coaches are such outstanding recruiters that we finish all the way up to 7th in the SEC like we always do no matter who is the coach. How can we pass that up?

Maybe he wanted a coordinator that wouldn’t make his defense look bad at practice.

The problem with BMac is that his play calling is so vanilla with nothing that will keep a defense honest. Just take the last three games he called plays. Akron-Garbage. Virginia-Garbage and UNC- Yet again Garbage. As a kid who wants to have a chance to go play for some NFL money one day would you want to honestly come here with what they see each week in play calling?

I’m not sure what this means. RPOs and zone blocking schemes are by themselves complicated. And his receivers are working off diverse route trees, with option routes and double moves. I don’t think he uses pre-snap motion enough or power runs with a pulling guard. Would like to see some lead draws, etc. But you can play that game with any OC.

The fact is, for as frustrating as Saturday was, Bentley missed two open throws that would have been touchdowns. Now, they should be teaching him how to make those throws. But that’s 14 points off the board because your guy simply couldn’t get it done.

He's the architect and his resume' suggests he's a good one. But someone else is making the decisions as to what plays to run. Truthfully, our spotty line play makes any offense problematic. That's why the quarterback has to be able to do some things on his on.

Bobby Bentley is obviously calling the plays!” He’s signaling them to Muschamp, and Champ runs em down to McClendon. It’s the only thing that makes sense, Now that Jake is down, Muschamp hands are no longer tied to Daddy!

by what metric? If the numbers I am looking at are correct only once in Werner's tenure at Ole Miss did they finished ranked hire nationally in PPG than they did either of Longo's years. The actual PPG were fairly similar (save for the one great year Werner had where they averaged over 40)...and Longo did it at a time when their defense was significantly worse.

by what metric? If the numbers I am looking at are correct only once in Werner's tenure at Ole Miss did they finished ranked hire nationally in PPG than they did either of Longo's years. The actual PPG were fairly similar (save for the one great year Werner had where they averaged over 40)...and Longo did it at a time when their defense was significantly worse.
Longo struggled against good defenses. Werner killed them....including Bama's vaunted defense.

And he built the offense that Longo took over.

Last edited:
Longo struggled against good defenses. Werner killed them....including Bama's vaunted defense.

And he built the offense that Longo took over.
It doesn’t matter because we have a brilliant coach who’s gonna do it his way. Dan Werner will never call plays under Muschamp, He’ll go with Brown before he gives the clipboard to Werner.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
It doesn’t matter because we have a brilliant coach who’s gonna do it his way. Dan Werner will never call plays under Muschamp, He’ll go with Brown before he gives the clipboard to Werner.
All I was saying is that we have a successful play caller on staff if we want to take advantage of it. It's not my call....and it's not my job that's at stake.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT