ADVERTISEMENT

Official 2018 World Cup Thread

Mexico came to play! Germany didn't have an answer.
Die Mannschaft had opportunities to equalize the game in second half against Mexico but it just did not happen for them today. I do give Mexico credit for winning the game, they earned it. I think there will be a few changes in the line up next Saturday when Germany plays Schweden. I think Mario Gomez, Marco Reus and Jonas Hector (if recovered from illness) will be included in next game starting eleven.

Last edited:
Reactions: Out of Conference
World Cup living up to its billing so far...

-Iceland, a country of 334k people, ties with Messi’s Argentina
The Netherlands and Italy are not even one of the 32 teams playing in the world cup, but Iceland takes Argentina to the brink. I think Iceland actually made it out of the group stage in 2016 Euros so that was a big accomplishment for them.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay

-Ronaldo does his best lebron and single handidly gets his squad a draw against Spain
-Germany, defending champ, goes down against Mexico

Similar to the NCAA basketball tourney, the upsets make it interesting and dramatic in the early rounds, but the powerhouse teams will generally be there in the end. That's even more likely in the World Cup, since the top 2 from each group advance.

I've definitely been enjoying it so far, despite the pain of the USMNT not being there.

-Ronaldo does his best lebron and single handidly gets his squad a draw against Spain
-Germany, defending champ, goes down against Mexico
Did anyone else fill out a bracket? Who do you have winning it all?

Despite the loss, Germany is still my favorite. Teams just don’t go 10-0-0 and score 43 goals in European qualifying as they did. They’ll at least be in the semis, but at that point you’re dealing with 4 very talented teams and anything can happen.
I have a couple questions or you World Cup experts;
1) what time is Germany playing??
2) what Channel or is it on TV??
3) do we boo Germany?? (battle of the bulge and all)
4) What uniforms will Germany wear??

GettyImages-874839998-5a3d6879e258f80036dda29d.jpg

The Netherlands and Italy are not even one of the 32 teams playing in the world cup, but Iceland takes Argentina to the brink. I think Iceland actually made it out of the group stage in 2016 Euros so that was a big accomplishment for them.
I heard there are more professional registered soccer players in Argentina than there are people in Iceland. That was an impressive feat.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
I have a couple questions or you World Cup experts;
1) what time is Germany playing??
2) what Channel or is it on TV??
3) do we boo Germany?? (battle of the bulge and all)
4) What uniforms will Germany wear??
Germany plays Sweden at 2 p.m. Saturday; Mexico plays South Korea at 11 a.m. Saturday. Fox channels broadcast most of the games. I don't know about Germany's uniforms; I am more interested in what uniforms their cheerleaders wear.

Goodness.. Opened this thread at work. Had no idea it had devolved into the Red Light District of FGF..

Anyway... Pretty shocking that Argentina is out. Doubt anyone saw that coming
Messi should had never come out of retirement from international fussball and rejoin the AFA. The team is not playing well and Messi is being looked at as the scrapegoat.

It is clear that Croatia is going to advance to the knockout stage, but as of now Argentina has not been officially eliminated from going to the round of 16. I think If Iceland does beat Nigeria tomorrow then things will look gloomy for the AFA.

Last edited:
this is why I like soccer.. the Fans as so passionate
ORUERIQUELME.jpg

42462a752d763504adaf2dfbea83538d--soccer-fans-football-fans.jpg

article-2659963-1EB4D3B500000578-993_640x774.jpg

I want to be that cell phone. Full of passion!

ddqwavellacdkwgq4zge.jpg
sexiest-mexican-soccer-fans-1.jpg

“My other team is Mexico”

now you on board with Soccer, Arent you??

i kinda favor Brazil
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I am so proud of you folks for embracing the international spirit of the world cup. # SO PROUD !!!!!!!!!

Reactions: cockofdawn
Messi should had never come out of retirement from international fussball and rejoin the AFA. The team is not playing well and Messi is being looked at as the scrapegoat.

It is clear that Croatia is going to advance to the knockout stage, but as of now Argentina has not been officially eliminated from going to the round of 16. I think If Iceland does beat Nigeria tomorrow then things will look gloomy for the AFA.
I don't think most knowledgeable fans blame Messi. He hasn't been able to carry the team by himself, but that midfield and defense are just not very good. They struggled in the qualifying rounds, they struggled in the limited friendlies they played leading up to the WC, and they are struggling now. The team just hasn't been very good for the past 2 years and had it not been for Messi hat trick in their final qualifying match, they wouldn't even be in the WC.

There was a fan on SiriusXM FC the other day that called the result, saying Croatia would beat Argentina 3-0 because they'd have 4-5 different guys marking Messi, while their midfield would completely dominate the game, and Argentina's defense was suspect. He nailed it.

Granted, Messi requires more service than he once did, but aside from Aguero, the rest of the team is just mediocre. Even if they advance, they aren't going to make a deep run.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
Some goals are amazing, a Nigerian player literally just caught a 20 yard pass with his foot around shoulder height, controlled it and blasted in when it bounced. The whole play was as close as you could get to a fast break as they came straight up the field on a change of possession with only 3 or 4 passes

All I know is this...

If you watched the Colombia - Poland game and STILL don't like soccer, you have no soul. Those players were going all-out to get a win. They played with extreme passion and the crowd was incredible; one of the best I've witnessed at any sporting event ever. Those fans were roaring for a solid 90 minutes and never let up. And the team delivered with 3 dramatic goals.

Likewise, how about the stoppage-time goal for Germany, while playing with 10 men, to keep their WC hopes alive, or the pair of wins by Mexico? Lots of drama, lots of passion, and lots of highlight-reel goals and saves.

Yet their are people that will still turn their nose up, even though they watch baseball, golf, or even NASCAR.

Reactions: Out of Conference
I believe Mexico and England are the two best I've seen so far, granted I have not watched it all. Those Colombia fans were awesome, those people know how to party

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT