ADVERTISEMENT

Official 2018 World Cup Thread

The Japanese society is very orderly. The Samurai blue supporters are actually cleaning the stands just after their match against Polen. Despite the loss, Nippon advances. I thought I would see Kirin larger beer cups in this video.

Here to eat crow... Those bastards clawed their way back in
Argentina took a gamble late in the game against Nigeria and substitute a back for a mid field attacker and they capitalized with strategy. If they would have not scored late in the game, it would have ended in a draw with Nigeria advancing to the last 16.
Argentina will now face France and this is not the matchup Argentina wanted. France has been like a sleeping giant so far, but if they awaken, they will likely beat Argentina by a few goals and send them on there short summer vacation.

I have to eat crow with my Germany pick as well. That’s the most inexplicable thing I’ve ever seen. One of the greatest upsets in WC history. They didn’t deserve to get out of the Group stage. They played like crap in all three matches.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
I have to eat crow with my Germany pick as well. That’s the most inexplicable thing I’ve ever seen. One of the greatest upsets in WC history. They didn’t deserve to get out of the Group stage. They played like crap in all three matches.
I think Thomas Muller received the Golden Boot Award back in 2010 and did not score a goal in Russia. Germany lacks a Miroslav Klose kind of player. Timo Werner is not the answer now, but maybe he will be better in the 2020 Euro. Low will be questioned as of why he did not nominate Leroy Sane or Sandro Wagner on the 23 man roster.

Spain is out and Belgium has one foot out the door.

i-feel-shocked.jpg

helluva match, best one so far
For a recap of matches: star is down, rolling in agony from lethal hit, the pain is to much to bare, oh wait, ball in play and player back up.
Better yet: team drops all players back to goal, avoids any attempt at scoring and wins on the stupidest format in all of sports, penalty kicks.
News flash: NFL proposes new end of games rules, no one scores in 1st OT, will go to pk's with team attempting 5 -35 yd field goals and the team that makes the most of 5 wins game!!! Helluva way to settle super bowl.

But the ending of Belgium game was exciting. At least those two teams decided to try and score and not play for tie to get to pk's.

For a recap of matches: star is down, rolling in agony from lethal hit, the pain is to much to bare, oh wait, ball in play and player back up.
Better yet: team drops all players back to goal, avoids any attempt at scoring and wins on the stupidest format in all of sports, penalty kicks.
News flash: NFL proposes new end of games rules, no one scores in 1st OT, will go to pk's with team attempting 5 -35 yd field goals and the team that makes the most of 5 wins game!!! Helluva way to settle super bowl.

But the ending of Belgium game was exciting. At least those two teams decided to try and score and not play for tie to get to pk's.
  • We all hate the exaggeration of injuries, even those of us that like soccer. And we've heard that sarcastic criticism so much that it's actually become more tiresome than the injury faking itself.

• As for PKs, they only go to that after two 15-min OT periods. After-all, soccer is kinda of an exhausting, demanding sport. It's not like they can keep playing forever like baseball or golf. Gotta bring the game to an end if not settled after OT, especially since tired teams become less likely to score rather than more likely. Plus, unlike hockey, which also used penalty shoot-outs to settle ties for decades, PKs are a normal part of a soccer game and account for the way a significant number of goals are scored. And it happens to be extremely dramatic. That penalty shootout between Denmark and Croatia the other day was epic.

Finally, there have been 55 games played so far in the WC. Only 2 of them were settled by PKs. Seems like people will complain about anything. First it was that there are too many ties, now people are griping about the way ties are broken. Every sport has different rules folks. I get the impression that if people were new to baseball, they'd complain that there's 3 outs per inning vs. a time limit. Each sport creates rules that make the most sense for that sport.

• Plus, unlike hockey, which also used penalty shoot-outs to settle ties for decades

Not disagreeing with your post but NHL just started using Shootout during the 2005 season and only for regular season games. Before that games ended in ties. The only penalty shots were awarded when there was a penalty on what refs deemed a breakaway which is still the case now. As of 2 years ago there is a 5 minute 3 on 3 OT period and if no winner is settled there, then a 3-round shootout to determine a winner. They moved to a 3 on 3 because it provides more space on the ice with the hopes more games will be settled in the OT than in the shootout.

In the playoffs they’ll play 5 on 5 Sudden Death for 5 days if they have to.

Not disagreeing with your post but NHL just started using Shootout during the 2005 season and only for regular season games. Before that games ended in ties. The only penalty shots were awarded when there was a penalty on what refs deemed a breakaway which is still the case now. As of 2 years ago there is a 5 minute 3 on 3 OT period and if no winner is settled there, then a 3-round shootout to determine a winner. They moved to a 3 on 3 because it provides more space on the ice with the hopes more games will be settled in the OT than in the shootout.

In the playoffs they’ll play 5 on 5 Sudden Death for 5 days if they have to.
I realize you're only disagreeing on a narrow point, but shootouts have been used in international hockey tournaments, including the Olympics, and lower-level leagues for years. Plus, the NHL uses them too.

But more importantly, do you believe that playing "5-on-5 sudden death (overtime) for 5 days if they have to" is the best way to break a tie? I don't. If 30 minutes worth of OT is still not enough to break a tie in soccer (a tie that only needs to be broken in knock-out rounds of tournaments or playoffs), then I want them to go to PKs. Makes perfect sense to most of us that have played or followed the game for years.

In hockey I’m fine with the 5 on 5. Longest I believe was 6 OT’s which is a lot but hockey is fast paced and intense enough that you are on the edge of your seat during a sudden death situation.

I don’t think that would be a good idea in soccer. And I wasn’t even thinking about international play for hockey. You are right.

In hockey I’m fine with the 5 on 5. Longest I believe was 6 OT’s which is a lot but hockey is fast paced and intense enough that you are on the edge of your seat during a sudden death situation.

I don’t think that would be a good idea in soccer. And I wasn’t even thinking about international play for hockey. You are right.
Spain game where opposition quit trying to score for 2nd half and both ot's is the reason I hate pk's. If teams know that they have to score to win you don't have that crap. Just like Dean Smith and 4 corners for last 15 minutes of a game, pathetic.

I watch some of the game but when you get to point when game isn't half over and you know one team is not even trying to score then something is wrong with game.

Glad the world loves it, can't wait for super bowl to decide outcome on fg attempts, that would be no different than what soccer does for their biggest game.

As far as flopping, my daughter played and one of the 1st things they are taught is to flop. Don't even get me started on the cult of soccer, craziest stuff I've ever seen between club coaches, parents and HS coaches. But hey, if you don't think soccer is greatest thing since sliced bread you just have no culture. Don't you know soccer fans are the most sophisticated in the world?

As far as flopping, my daughter played and one of the 1st things they are taught is to flop. Don't even get me started on the cult of soccer, craziest stuff I've ever seen between club coaches, parents and HS coaches. But hey, if you don't think soccer is greatest thing since sliced bread you just have no culture. Don't you know soccer fans are the most sophisticated in the world?

This is the biggest pile of horseshit I've seen in a while. I don't know what some former soccer player did to you, but you need to get over it.

Reactions: Out of Conference
This is the biggest pile of horseshit I've seen in a while. I don't know what some former soccer player did to you, but you need to get over it.

Soccer player has done nothing to me so not sure where you're coming from. Calling it like I see it. Sounds like you are the one that is upset with someone calling out soccer, so maybe you need to get over it.

I understand the world loves soccer, to each their own. Not my cup of tea, but for those that enjoy it,I know the world cup is their big event so glad you and others are enjoying it.

Heck, I enjoy watching golf and I know many think that is boring sport so I really don't have much room to talk. Hope you have good 4th.

Spain game where opposition quit trying to score for 2nd half and both ot's is the reason I hate pk's. If teams know that they have to score to win you don't have that crap. Just like Dean Smith and 4 corners for last 15 minutes of a game, pathetic.

I watch some of the game but when you get to point when game isn't half over and you know one team is not even trying to score then something is wrong with game.

Glad the world loves it, can't wait for super bowl to decide outcome on fg attempts, that would be no different than what soccer does for their biggest game.

I played for years and have relatives who play now and I rarely, if ever, see flopping or exaggeration of injuries in the American game, especially in women's soccer. Watch the USWNT and you'll almost never see that crap. It's far more prevalent in Europe or especially Latin America.

That said, we ALL hate that aspect of the game and want it cleaned up. It's not as if soccer fans like it. Fortunately, many leagues are cracking down on "simulation" and issuing cards, even suspending players for the next game if it's cited in a post-game review. So, that helps. But the anti-soccer guys who keep harping on this are insufferable and arguably more annoying than the flopping itself.

Gonna be England vs France for the whole thing.

England looking strong with Young , Henderson and young rising stars like Dele , etc

Gonna be England vs France for the whole thing.

England looking strong with Young , Henderson and young rising stars like Dele , etc
I hope so. I want to go back to the British Bulldog for another match. The Final would be Saturday morning at 10, which would be perfect.

Belgium vs France
England vs Croatia

Been to all 4 countries. Pulling for an England vs Belgium Final.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT